• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone. I got sidetracked after buying my Supe 1 and went on a basketball cards buying binge with the Zion-Mania. The money spent plus this 4.0 conserved copy, could’ve gotten me a lower grade blue label. However the boxes have nearly tripled in value so I’m not complaining.

B1BF8E2C-B8CE-48FB-A3D7-0A77B247E82D.jpeg

99F163C5-7A7A-4D18-9ED6-6D30D0C469BE.jpeg

3 hours ago, poizon9886 said:

Thanks everyone. I got sidetracked after buying my Supe 1 and went on a basketball cards buying binge with the Zion-Mania. The money spent plus this 4.0 conserved copy, could’ve gotten me a lower grade blue label. However the boxes have nearly tripled in value so I’m not complaining.

I’d love to see a group shot of the Batman #1 with the Superman #1!

14 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

This is an absolutely stunning acquisition. “Congratulations” doesn’t do it justice, but congrats!!

Any story behind it?

It was previously a qualified CGC 1.8 owned by Danielle at Nerdygirl Comics. A buddy of mine bought it from her and had CCS work on it, thus coming back the current grade of a conserved 4.0. He sold it on C'link a year or two ago. It presents very nice for the grade! When my friend had the work done we honestly thought it would come back a 5.0-5.5.

Edited by LDarkseid1

5 hours ago, poizon9886 said:

I'm definitely jelly on your Supes 1!

On 6/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 6/18/2020 at 6:04 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

This is an absolutely stunning acquisition. “Congratulations” doesn’t do it justice, but congrats!!

Any story behind it?

It was previously a qualified CGC 1.8 owned by Danielle at Nerdygirl Comics. A buddy of mine bought it from her and had CCS work on it, thus coming back the current grade of a conserved 4.0. He sold it on C'link a year or two ago. It presents very nice for the grade! When my friend had the work done we honestly thought it would come back a 5.0-5.5.

Well, you certainly came out ahead as that's a huge jump to go from a CGC 1.8 Qalified all the way up to a CGC 4.0 Conserved.  :applause:

Why was the book Qualified in the first place when it was initially graded at the 1.8 condition level?  ???

Any truth to what some are saying that it is now possible for a former Slight Professional PLOD book with spine splits sealed and cover cleaned and reinforced to now receive a Conserved blue/grey label at the same grade through a simple reholder, now that CGC has their new Restoration Grading Scale in place?  hm  (shrug)

33 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, you certainly came out ahead as that's a huge jump to go from a CGC 1.8 Qalified all the way up to a CGC 4.0 Conserved.  :applause:

Why was the book Qualified in the first place when it was initially graded at the 1.8 condition level?  ???

Any truth to what some are saying that it is now possible for a former Slight Professional PLOD book with spine splits sealed and cover cleaned and reinforced to now receive a Conserved blue/grey label at the same grade through a simple reholder, now that CGC has their new Restoration Grading Scale in place?  hm  (shrug)

So was qualified because of the married centerfold. As far as the grade bump, it’s as the label shows. CCS did some tear seals and reinforcement and boom, conserved 4.0.

35 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

So was qualified because of the married centerfold. As far as the grade bump, it’s as the label shows. CCS did some tear seals and reinforcement and boom, conserved 4.0.

Well, if this is indeed the reason for the Qualified label in the first place, it would certainly seem that CGC themselves are confused with what constitutes Restoration as their updated Restoration Grading Scale clearly defines Married Pages or Cover as falling under the umbrella of Restoration Repair:  ???   doh!

https://www.cgccomics.com/pdf/restoration-grading-scale-handout.pdf

Restoration Repairs • Color touch • Piece replacement • Re-glossing • Paper bleaching • Married pages or cover

26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if this is indeed the reason for the Qualified label in the first place, it would certainly seem that CGC themselves are confused with what constitutes Restoration as their updated Restoration Grading Scale clearly defines Married Pages or Cover as falling under the umbrella of Restoration Repair:  ???   doh!

Restoration Repairs • Color touch • Piece replacement • Re-glossing • Paper bleaching • Married pages or cover

So it’s my understanding married is defined in two separate ways. if you have pages from another copy that are attached to the book then yes that’s restoration, because you’ve physically altered the book. However and as was the case here, simply placing pages from another book inside and not physically attaching them results in a green qualified label. I used to have a Batman 1 (attached a photo of it) that was qualified, because I combined a complete interior from one copy and added a front cover to it from another copy by simply placing the cover on top. Wasn’t resto because I didn’t have CCS reattach the cover thus changing the book all together. As far as I know, this is how CGC has always treated married pages/covers and what is purple resto and green qualified.

876A277C-2045-4C42-9332-4A4C5A05F1FC.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

15 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

So it’s my understanding married is defined in two separate ways. if you have pages from another copy that are attached to the book then yes that’s restoration, because you’ve physically altered the book. However and as was the case here, simply placing pages from another book inside and not physically attaching them results in a green qualified label. I used to have a Batman 1 (attached a photo of it) that was qualified, because I combined a complete interior from one copy and added a front cover to it from another copy by simply placing the cover on top. Wasn’t resto because I didn’t have CCS reattach the cover thus changing the book all together. As far as I know, this is how CGC has always treated married pages/covers and what is purple resto and green qualified.

I owned the cover and interior of this comic. The front cover and matching back cover I got off eBay about 7 years ago. The interior I bought in a collection in Michigan in 2016. Sold front cover soon after I got it thinking I'll never find an interior. 

Kept the back cover for my missing back cover Bat 1. 

Now the front is married to the interior I also bought.

Here is the back cover. Wasn't exposed to elements like front was.

Batman1bc.thumb.jpg.0c8d3054efbb2d66f3c3e0683133a100.jpg

33 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

I owned the cover and interior of this comic. The front cover and matching back cover I got off eBay about 7 years ago. The interior I bought in a collection in Michigan in 2016. Sold front cover soon after I got it thinking I'll never find an interior. 

Kept the back cover for my missing back cover Bat 1. 

Now the front is married to the interior I also bought.

Here is the back cover. Wasn't exposed to elements like front was.

Batman1bc.thumb.jpg.0c8d3054efbb2d66f3c3e0683133a100.jpg

I must have bought it off you a couple years ago lol.

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The terms "restored" and "conserved" are both consistent with the dictionary definitions and common usage for describing what was done.

If the use of one of them as an "umbrella" term meant the word "married" was then omitted from the description, then I would agree it's misleading.   

I know some people complain about consistency but IMV if the words describing what was done and what it is are all there, and the "umbrella" term is not being used inconsistent with its dictionary definition, then there's no harm, unless some people want the "umbrella" term to carry some harsher implication that reflects their opinion about whether the book should have been, as they say, "manipulated" in that manner.

And once you go in that direction there's always somebody who will not happy with how far you've gone.  Some already feel it's not enough to say "married" unless you add the words "from another copy" and some feel that's not enough, either, that the umbrella term for the book must be understood to mean "good" or "bad".  I've even heard it opined that some labels should imply or even say outright something like "color touched (and they shouldn't have done that!" or even "Buyer beware:  this isn't worth much".    

On 6/20/2020 at 10:06 PM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 6/20/2020 at 9:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Edited Saturday at 10:14 PM by LDarkseid1

Well, from my old fashion and very conservative point of view, if you are alreadly MARRIED, it's assumed that you've already done the nasty deed and have attached yourself.  Maybe if you are just together and haven't done the nasty deed yet, it should just be called an ENGAGED cover.  hm  lol

On a serious note though, I believe the Qualified aspect of this label is due to the fact that the back cover is missing and the book is considered to be Incomplete.  I see this Qualified label (GLOD) being used normally on higher graded copies of books in the VF or thereabouts and up range that would otherwise be blue Universal copies except for the fact that they are missing a coupon or a page and hence considered to be Incomplete.  Giving these higher graded copies of books a Qualified label imparts a lot more information about the actual condition of the book, as opposed to simply giving them a Universal blue label with a Poor 0.5 grade which they would underwise fall into since this grade level allows missing pages and/or missing coupons.  So, if there was no Restoration or Conservation work done on the book, the missing back cover should really have resulted in this copy receiving a Universal blue label with a grade of 0.5 as far as I understand their grading system which I clearly do not.  (shrug)

On 6/21/2020 at 5:31 AM, KCOComics said:

This seems right,  only if you bring the book back together,  I believe you get a "conserved" label these days. 

Yes, I believe I am starting to see books with married covers and married pages being slabbed with the Conserved labels nowadays.  If this is the case, then CGC really needs to update their own website that details the breakdown of what consitutes Restoration and what constitutes Conservation.  Especially since their very own website still has Married Pages and Married covers falling under the Restoration umbrella, as follows:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4083/

As noted in an earlier article, CGC has expanded its restoration scale to help collectors understand what was done to their book. The following is a list of conservation and restoration repairs, materials used for these repairs, and the new CGC restoration scale:

Conservation Repairs

• Tear seals
  • Spine split seals
  • Reinforcement
  • Piece reattachment
  • Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
  • Staples cleaned or replaced
  • Some leaf casting

Restoration Repairs

• Color touch
  • Piece replacement
  • Re-glossing
  • Paper bleaching
  • Married pages or cover

So, based upon their breakdown as currently posted on their own website, this type of work should be consider as Restoration, although I believe it has probably slid over into the Conservation bucket and CGC has simply not gotten around to updating their Restoration Grading Scale whenever they decided to make this change which was probably a few years ago.  :facepalm:  (shrug)

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from my old fashion and very conservative point of view, if you are alreadly MARRIED, it's assumed that you've already done the nasty deed and have attached yourself.  Maybe if you are just together and haven't done the nasty deed yet, it should just be called an ENGAGED cover.  hm  lol

On a serious note though, I believe the Qualified aspect of this label is due to the fact that the back cover is missing and the book is considered to be Incomplete.  I see this Qualified label (GLOD) being used normally on higher graded copies of books in the VF or thereabouts and up range that would otherwise be blue Universal copies except for the fact that they are missing a coupon or a page and hence considered to be Incomplete.  Giving these higher graded copies of books a Qualified label imparts a lot more information about the actual condition of the book, as opposed to simply giving them a Universal blue label with a Poor 0.5 grade which they would underwise fall into since this grade level allows missing pages and/or missing coupons.  So, if there was no Restoration or Conservation work done on the book, the missing back cover should really have resulted in this copy receiving a Universal blue label with a grade of 0.5 as far as I understand their grading system which I clearly do not.  (shrug)

Yes, I believe I am starting to see books with married covers and married pages being slabbed with the Conserved labels nowadays.  If this is the case, then CGC really needs to update their own website that details the breakdown of what consitutes Restoration and what constitutes Conservation.  Especially since their very own website still has Married Pages and Married covers falling under the Restoration umbrella, as follows:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4083/

As noted in an earlier article, CGC has expanded its restoration scale to help collectors understand what was done to their book. The following is a list of conservation and restoration repairs, materials used for these repairs, and the new CGC restoration scale:

Conservation Repairs

• Tear seals
  • Spine split seals
  • Reinforcement
  • Piece reattachment
  • Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
  • Staples cleaned or replaced
  • Some leaf casting

Restoration Repairs

• Color touch
  • Piece replacement
  • Re-glossing
  • Paper bleaching
  • Married pages or cover

So, based upon their breakdown as currently posted on their own website, this type of work should be consider as Restoration, although I believe it has probably slid over into the Conservation bucket and CGC has simply not gotten around to updating their Restoration Grading Scale whenever they decided to make this change which was probably a few years ago.  :facepalm:  (shrug)

No that's not correct about the missing back cover and being incomplete. Any book missing a back cover is still universal blue label. The green qualified was 100% because of the married front cover. It's simply how they approach married pages/covers that aren't physically reattached. I just placed it on top of my copy. Personally I don't mind it. You're not altering the book by simply placing pages in the interior or a cover on top so I don't see how that's restoration. I think a green qualified label for these instances is appropriate. It's just two separate universal pieces put together.

Edited by LDarkseid1