• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2020 at 7:03 AM, lhcomics said:

Someone explain this please.

Bat 1 CGC 2.5 Heritage auction on Sept 10 2020 sold for $102K and then resold by the make offer to owner for $132K on Sept 16. Now is available again with make an offer for $172K.

Is it that easy to buy mega keys and resell without ever having Heritage send anyone the comic???

Unless the buyer proactively opts out of the HA Make Offfer to Owner feature which they have, I believe that there is an automatic 30% markup which gets tacked onto a book.  :gossip:

If somebody makes that offer, HA then sends that to the buyer and it's their decision as to whether they accept the offer or not.  hm  

It should be pointed out that the new $172,380 make an offer is exactly 30% above the second sale price of $132,600. (thumbsu

:takeit:  the $172K money, that is.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/22/2020 at 4:23 PM, Drgoldage said:

Another book I almost picked up from Jim Payette’s years ago , finally heritage offered when it didn’t sell at auction . A keeper for me love seeing Batman and Robin swinging into auction

21ABA8E6-1394-4992-84C0-C1AEAA5E4C4B.jpeg

On 8/23/2020 at 8:03 AM, Drgoldage said:

It was still in its untouched state but had a slight sun shadow to right edge that the collector investor that bought it tried to have removed , unsuccessfully . It’s otherwise untouched for me I don’t care if it’s in a purple or conserved case ,

Until it comes time to sell it because a Conserved copy will sell for much much more than the exact same book if it's residing in a Restored PLOD slab.  :gossip:

True conserved would be better for resale and I’ve considered that but reluctant . My initial conversation with Cgc was that they would never change a restored Label to conserved if the book had been cleaned chemically ( the only thing done to this book ,in a ill advised attempt to remove a slight sun shadow on right edge ). My second reservation was the only book I’ve sent in was my undercopy Green lantern golden-age 1 a nice flat copy that when it was holdered they fanned the back cover and pages so now it sits with a induced spine roll. I realize this doesn’t happen often but I am afraid they will damage the Batman . I am also have no desire to sell so why spend the money .

1 hour ago, Drgoldage said:

True conserved would be better for resale and I’ve considered that but reluctant . My initial conversation with Cgc was that they would never change a restored Label to conserved if the book had been cleaned chemically ( the only thing done to this book ,in a ill advised attempt to remove a slight sun shadow on right edge ). My second reservation was the only book I’ve sent in was my undercopy Green lantern golden-age 1 a nice flat copy that when it was holdered they fanned the back cover and pages so now it sits with a induced spine roll. I realize this doesn’t happen often but I am afraid they will damage the Batman . I am also have no desire to sell so why spend the money .

How can a GA Green lantern 1 become damaged while in cgc’s possesion? That is highly disturbing news. Thnx for letting it out here. 

To be clear Cgc makes it a priority to care for the books it grades , no one is perfect and comics are fragile and easily damaged with even careful handling . I have hundreds of golden age comics at home that CGC encapsulated perfectly before I bought  , It’s just my bad luck the Green Lantern turned out the way it did and could be reversed if I sent back in . If the time comes that I want to sell the Batman 1 (I don’t )  and I could get a conserved grade (I can’t) on the Batman 1 Denver copy then I would send back to CGC. I was trying to mention all the factors That came to mind when I initially thought about trying for a conserved grade several years ago, the GL was the least of those concerns. 

On 8/23/2020 at 11:03 AM, Drgoldage said:

I bought a number of the Denver’s But missed this one by about a week and Jim great dealer that he is offered to get it back for me .I wished I had acted then would have saved me thousands and the ill advised attempt to remove the sun shadow on right cover edge. It was still in its untouched state but had a slight sun shadow to right edge that the collector investor that bought it tried to have removed , unsuccessfully . It’s otherwise untouched for me I don’t care if it’s in a purple or conserved case , it’s a great looking copy great color and sharp edges as good as I will find . 

I believe the entire collecting world wishes you had acted then. "collector/investor" is one of the nicer terms I've heard applied to Wilson's destructive actions from this time period.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who think this copy presents nicer than the erased/upgraded copy that currently sits atop the census. Congrats on such a beautiful book.