• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

Batman #1 CGC 2.0 (universal) Moderate tape on cover and 2 center wraps.

ended at $79,900. Comic Connect auction.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=686138

Holy hammer price Batman!?! Wow what a sale!!! :o My personal copy is looking even better :grin:

strong price to be sure, sure makes it hard for a fella to upgrade. the mega GA keys are rapidly getting out of most collectors reach.

Sure is.. I think lower graded copies of major keys will mostly benefit in an upward surge faster than higher graded ones because less people have the funds to pay for higher graded copies. I think this is the effect we are seeing and will continue to see.

completely agree. (thumbs u

+1

Holy hammer price Batman!?! Wow what a sale!!! :o My personal copy is looking even better :grin:

strong price to be sure, sure makes it hard for a fella to upgrade. the mega GA keys are rapidly getting out of most collectors reach.

Sure is.. I think lower graded copies of major keys will mostly benefit in an upward surge faster than higher graded ones because less people have the funds to pay for higher graded copies. I think this is the effect we are seeing and will continue to see.

+1

Don't forget to put restored books in there too. Moderate and slight have been going up as well.

+1

Don't forget to put restored books in there too. Moderate and slight have been going up as well.

+1 but if these books (low and restored) continue rise, it's going to pull higher grades price up even higher.

+1

+1 but if these books (low and restored) continue rise, it's going to pull higher grades price up even higher.

Tru Dat. I was shocked at the Batman 3 hammer price for the 1.8 that just sold on CC 1k :o

+1

It would need to, but not at the same rate as lower graded copies... Lower grades have certainly seen a much rapid rise in value. Soon coverless or missing paged copies will be the new entry level grade for collectors who cannot afford to pay mid to high 5 figures for a 1.0+ copy. I've always considered complete low graded copies as entry level.

I think lower graded copies of major keys will mostly benefit in an upward surge faster than higher graded ones because less people have the funds to pay for higher graded copies. I think this is the effect we are seeing and will continue to see.

It could go either way. I've seen both low grade copies begin a groundswell that pushes up high grade books and I've seen ultra high grade copies break records and bring up low grade copies as the tide rises (and I could list books that it has happened to both ways).

It all depends on how it plays out in the market in regards to availability, supply, demand, etc.

What I disagree with with is when one book sets a new record it's assumed that all books immediately follow the same trend. Unless there is reason to believe an outlier is a part of a trend it's really just an outlier.

I think lower graded copies of major keys will mostly benefit in an upward surge faster than higher graded ones because less people have the funds to pay for higher graded copies. I think this is the effect we are seeing and will continue to see.

It could go either way. I've seen both low grade copies begin a groundswell that pushes up high grade books and I've seen ultra high grade copies break records and bring up low grade copies as the tide rises (and I could list books that it has happened to both ways).

It all depends on how it plays out in the market in regards to availability, supply, demand, etc.

What I disagree with with is when one book sets a new record it's assumed that all books immediately follow the same trend. Unless there is reason to believe an outlier is a part of a trend it's really just an outlier.

Low grade GA keys has been rising the last few years due to the higher priced on the high grade GA keys. The market will see HG GA keys play catch-up once the lower grades moves up even more. Of course, there are outliers out there, but the rapid rise recently on low grade GA keys are happening.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

+1

It would need to, but not at the same rate as lower graded copies... Lower grades have certainly seen a much rapid rise in value. Soon coverless or missing paged copies will be the new entry level grade for collectors who cannot afford to pay mid to high 5 figures for a 1.0+ copy. I've always considered complete low graded copies as entry level.

These lower grade GA keys are not mid to 5 figures now...more like mid to six figures. ;) For the two big GA keys that represents well, unrestored, and at least cream/off whites pages...Action 1 1.0 250K, Detective 27 1.0 200K. hm Seems where it's heading now for entry level for the big two.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

+1

These lower grade GA keys are not mid to 5 figures now...more like mid to six figures. ;) For the two big GA keys that represents well, unrestored, and at least cream/off whites pages...Action 1 1.0 250K, Detective 27 1.0 200K. hm Seems where it's heading now for entry level for the big two.

A blue 1.0 Tec 27 or Action 1 would break 250k right now IMO.

Low grade GA keys has been rising the last few years due to the higher priced on the high grade GA keys. The market will see HG GA keys play catch-up once the lower grades moves up even more. Of course, there are outliers out there, but the rapid rise recently on low grade GA keys are happening.

Which keys are you talking about? It literally goes both ways, depending on whether there are a lot of low grade copies building up the base first or a higher grade copy setting a bench mark that everyone accepts and then lower grade copies filling the gap.

I don't think low grade is pushing up high grade prices on all GA keys. In many cases, the higher grade copies have sold (Batman #1, and Action #1 highest graded) and then lower copies have followed suit.

If you're saying that all Batman #1 2.0 copies are worth $80K now and going to push up the higher grade copies I disagree. There's enough data across the board to show how Batman #1 trends are happening. A 6.5 just sold for less than a 5.5 a few weeks ago. Much less.

+1

A blue 1.0 Tec 27 or Action 1 would break 250k right now IMO.

That would be the minimum but, 250K+ is quite possible.

Which keys are you talking about? It literally goes both ways, depending on whether there are a lot of low grade copies building up the base first or a higher grade copy setting a bench mark that everyone accepts and then lower grade copies filling the gap.

I don't think low grade is pushing up high grade prices on all GA keys. In many cases, the higher grade copies have sold (Batman #1, and Action #1 highest graded) and then lower copies have followed suit.

If you're saying that all Batman #1 2.0 copies are worth $80K now and going to push up the higher grade copies I disagree. There's enough data across the board to show how Batman #1 trends are happening. A 6.5 just sold for less than a 5.5 a few weeks ago. Much less.

I'm refereeing to the GA super keys: the majority of the top 20 OSPG Super-heroes books in the last few years. The Batman 1 6.5 presented at this auction had poor eye appeal at the spine and the 2.0 presented quite nicely with nice off-white PQ. One can judge that the well presenting Batman 1 5.5 which sold for 239K might have pulled the 2.0 up too. Of course, the eye appeal and PQ matters.

I'm refereeing to the GA super keys: the majority of the top 20 OSPG Super-heroes books in the last few years. The Batman 1 6.5 presented at this auction had poor eye appeal at the spine and the 2.0 presented quite nicely with nice off-white PQ. One can judge that the well presenting Batman 1 5.5 which sold for 239K might have pulled the 2.0 up too. Of course, the eye appeal and PQ matters.

Agreed on eye appeal and PQ. I mean what happened to the Larson Bats 1? Looked like that went for a bargain compared to lower graded copies that sold and it had tremendous eye appeal and PQ. I predicted that copy to sell min. $500k.

Agreed on eye appeal and PQ. I mean what happened to the Larson Bats 1? Looked like that went for a bargain compared to lower graded copies that sold and it had tremendous eye appeal and PQ. I predicted that copy to sell min. $500k.

I thought the Larson would hit 400K+ and 500K max. But people who will pony these type of money will know. Books at this territory near the 400K-500K is mind boggling. You can get a lot of funny books with that dough. At this pace, the next few years 100K is common ground for these GA super keys.

The Batman 1 6.5 presented at this auction had poor eye appeal at the spine and the 2.0 presented quite nicely with nice off-white PQ. One can judge that the well presenting Batman 1 5.5 which sold for 239K might have pulled the 2.0 up too. Of course, the eye appeal and PQ matters.

The 2.0 had glue notation and tape so while eye appeal was on the higher side for a low grade copy those two notations would have turned some bidders off. I don't think anyone pays a premium for OW pages. Someone just had to have this book at this time..

The 6.5 eye appeal may have bothered some but it still sold very cheap for the grade.

The point is that these two books defy what has been happening to Batman #1 in both directions. There is a much larger pool for these two data points to sit in than just the two points.

Soon coverless or missing paged copies will be the new entry level grade for collectors who cannot afford to pay mid to high 5 figures for a 1.0+ copy. I've always considered complete low graded copies as entry level.

It is quite amazing. 20 years ago an entry level Batman #1 was a $6-8K book. And a price of $80K would buy you everything but the top 10 individual copies of books in the hobby.

Now we are looking at 80K doesn't even get you in the door on the top few key books and is entry-low level for many titles.

Soon coverless or missing paged copies will be the new entry level grade for collectors who cannot afford to pay mid to high 5 figures for a 1.0+ copy. I've always considered complete low graded copies as entry level.

It is quite amazing. 20 years ago an entry level Batman #1 was a $6-8K book. And a price of $80K would buy you everything but the top 10 individual copies of books in the hobby.

Now we are looking at 80K doesn't even get you in the door on the top few key books and is entry-low level for many titles.

Yep I remember those days. With $80k, I probably could've bought a low graded Tec 27 then. Times have certainly changed. Books like MF 73 and AS 8 were undervalued than for who knows how long and now have exploded up in value which puts them in the same tier (value wise) as Cap 1, Bat 1, etc. basically in the 5 figure range min.