• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I could swear I had posted my entry into this club when I first signed up for the boards, but re-reading this thread I don't see my post(s). I must have a vivid imagination.

pn7baah5awy3fx74g.jpg

A copy well worth posting again.

29 minutes ago, jabats said:

I agree with this. 

The run up in prices in the past decade reflects far more NEW cash than just the "old guard collectors" getting richer.

Like Dom said it reflects NEW demand from...

1) Young collectors who are beginning to have "Real" disposable income. If you entered the "Golden Age" niche of the hobby in 2013 or later, five figures for an entry level GA key or even a non-key issue with a coveted classic cover, seems normal.

2) International demand. The superhero movie trend of the past decade made big waves overseas too. It doesn't mean all these overseas movie-goers became comic collectors, however even one "hundred millionaire" (or billionaire) who enters the hobby may represent a large influx of cash, newly bidding on mega keys.

3) HNW to VHNW hard asset investors, who may be casual (not diehard) superhero fans, but who think nothing of dropping 500k on a Picasso drawing or vintage Ferrari. To this type of hard asset investor, 200k for a mid-grade Bats 1 probably seems cheap.

Love it or hate it, grading companies DID turn collectible comic books into "commodities" where they weren't previously. This represents a structural change in the hobby, and frankly lowers the barriers to entry for these new "investors". The advantage has shifted some, from those "old guard" collectors who have long-time "insider" knowledge and relationships, to newer "investors" who have more liquid capital.

Along with this influx of cash will come increased price appreciation (which we have seen already) -- and sharp corrections, too (maybe we will see in the coming decade?)

But a pro-longed "crash" would require a long-term decrease in demand for the asset (since the supply of GA books is fixed). From where I sit, for every "collector" who leaves the hobby, there's a new "investor" (or 2) entering it, cash in hand...

You Conveyed the exact message I was trying to get across far better then I did! Thank you :golfclap:.  

8 hours ago, circumstances said:

I could swear I had posted my entry into this club when I first signed up for the boards, but re-reading this thread I don't see my post(s). I must have a vivid imagination.

pn7baah5awy3fx74g.jpg

Good Lord that cover is glossy.

9 hours ago, circumstances said:

pn7baah5awy3fx74g.jpg

Good Lord ! :whatthe: Is that copy unrestored !?

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

My guess, and I know it's a wide range:

500-1,500

More Bat 1's or Cap 1's. ( not trying to stir up another Bats 1 vs Cap 1 debate just curious as I always thought they were both fairly "common " for GA books. 

Edited by Chicago Boy

5 hours ago, Jking3437 said:

15-35k , maybe less , maybe a lot more 

I'm thinking a well presenting CGC 1.0 unrestored copy would hit between $35-40k at auction. I'm fairly sure blue label 0.5s are $20-25k.  

On 7/15/2017 at 5:17 AM, Chicago Boy said:

More Bat 1's or Cap 1's. ( not trying to stir up another Bats 1 vs Cap 1 debate just curious as I always thought they were both fairly "common " for GA books. 

There are more bat 1 graded then caps at this point.

blue label easy 40-50k

James G

It's been over a full calendar year, this thread needs a serious :bump:.

On July 12th, a CRM/OW coverless copy of Batman #1 sold for $14,279.32.

LINK

I remember coverless copies being available for 3K back 10-15 years ago. Times are changing.