• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Interesting to know. I was about to say possibly Cole pencils with someone else's inks. Hence why it doesn't look "quite right". Until your statement I thought Cole penciled all his Funny Animal work. All of his cartoon characters tend to have that shiny balloon effect on them with those window pane highlights. Now I'm back to being not sure...hm

I'm still confident Cole had nothing to do with that cover.  He was not the only artist to do the window pane technique for funny animals.  

LB Cole was interviewed more than once about his work in comics and I believe we have a pretty good confirmation of his oeuvre. 

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

I'm still confident Cole had nothing to do with that cover.  He was not the only artist to do the window pane technique for funny animals.  

LB Cole was interviewed more than once about his work in comics and I believe we have a pretty good confirmation of his oeuvre. 

I would trust your opinion over mine Mr. Strange. I was only going by what I've observed to date and I'm far from well versed in the Funny Animal genre. (thumbsu

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Here is some of his other funny animal/humor work. There is a lot going on, even in the background. The colors are a lot different. These are all signed as well. You be the judge...

comholiday1.jpg

comholiday3.jpg

comholiday6.jpg

comholiday5.jpg

Great examples and I see your point with the characters being more dynamic on these covers!

I think Punkinface will easily be able to get over his disappointment at having a non-LB Cole cover by selling it to me, getting that eyesore as far away from him as possible. 

On 2/28/2018 at 11:04 PM, MrBedrock said:

I think Punkinface will easily be able to get over his disappointment at having a non-LB Cole cover by selling it to me, getting that eyesore as far away from him as possible. 

Somehow I'll manage.  I'll hold on to it for now, JIC.  Buf if I do need a pick-me-up you're the 1st person I'll PM!  ;)

Hello, everyone. I was a collector for a long time in my youth, moved away from the hobby (obsession?) for a while, then slowly gravitated back to it about ten years ago. It was shortly after that when I started to become interested in Golden Age comics, specifically GA horror. I stumbled upon a few L.B. Cole covers, and I've been hooked ever since. A Google search brought me to this thread, and I can't help but wonder: where are you finding all these amazing comics?

I just posted in the Wanted to Buy section, but I was wondering if anyone here might have a lead where I can find a graded or ungraded copy of Blue Bolt Weird 114 and 117, Ghostly Weird 120, 121, 124, Spook 28, Startling Terror 5 and 9? Mostly looking in VF-range.

Edited by AuthorJamesMichaelRice

2 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Hello, everyone. I was a collector for a long time in my youth, moved away from the hobby (obsession?) for a while, then slowly gravitated back to it about ten years ago. It was shortly after that when I started to become interested in Golden Age comics, specifically GA horror. I stumbled upon a few L.B. Cole covers, and I've been hooked ever since. A Google search brought me to this thread, and I can't help but wonder: where are you finding all these amazing comics?

I just posted in the Wanted to Buy section, but I was wondering if anyone here might have a lead where I can find a graded or ungraded copy of Blue Bolt Weird 114 and 117, Ghostly Weird 120, 121, 124, Spook 28, Startling Terror 5 and 9? Mostly looking in VF-range.

I hope you brought your checkbook, as high grade LB Cole horror is through the roof lately!

Welcome to the boards!

4 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Um, well, good luck. Those are difficult to find in grades above VG at this point, and in VF they are going to be VERY expensive....if you can even find them at all, which I doubt. 

Spook 28 may not even exist in that grade. lol

4 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Welcome to the boards!  Things pop up here and there.  Keep your eyes on auctions etc.

8 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Welcome to the boards!

You may already know all of this, but if not ... The three main auction houses are ComicLink, ComicConnect, and Heritage (ha.com).  They periodically auction off Cole horror/sci-fi books.  You can also check the sites of the big dealers:  Metropolis comics (better to buy graded from them because their grading of raw books can be shaky), Worldwide Comics, Highgrade Comics, Superworld, Bedrock City, Tomorrow's Treasures, and MyComicShop.  And, of course, there is always eBay, although you need to be careful in buying raw books because they can arrive with missing centerfolds, undisclosed restoration, or other problems.

In addition to auctions, ComicLink also has an exchange on which you can make offers for listed books.  Some winners of past Heritage auctions are also accepting offers through the site.

The larger comic conventions also generally offer a good selection of GA books -- many of the dealers listed above set up booths at them.

Very Fine copies of those books are tough to find, though, and will cost quite a lot if you do find them.

Happy Hunting! 

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I will check out those venues that were mentioned. Unfortunately, here in MA., the comic conventions little to do with comic books, and more to do with raking in the dollars by charging exorbitant prices to meet celebrities.

I know it'll be a challenge tracking these down, and I don't mind the cost... heck, I'll even pay extra for the right issues. Usually when I add something to my (small, but growing) collection, I force myself sell something else to balance off the cost. Sometimes, as time goes on, I feel a little "bored" even with issues I used to love. So if anyone here feels that way, and wants to make some cash for their next purchase, let me know (thumbsu

59 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

Welcome to the boards!

I’ve been working on my high grade Cole collection for over 12 years and I’ve never seen a high grade copy of Spook 28 or Ghostly Weird 120. I have the other 6 that you’re looking for but I hope to keep them forever! Startling Terror 5 and 9 are nearly impossible but I got lucky and finally found nice copies.

08B6759D-50AF-4FFD-96B9-7C7901E6F2A2.jpeg

What a terrific group shot!

Ken

10 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

Welcome to the boards!

I’ve been working on my high grade Cole collection for over 12 years and I’ve never seen a high grade copy of Spook 28 or Ghostly Weird 120. I have the other 6 that you’re looking for but I hope to keep them forever! Startling Terror 5 and 9 are nearly impossible but I got lucky and finally found nice copies.

08B6759D-50AF-4FFD-96B9-7C7901E6F2A2.jpeg

Great collection! It'll probably take me twice as long to find them, but I'll try. But if you ever grow bored of looking at one of those plain Jane covers, with their muted color schemes and amateurish artwork--or you just want to make a small fortune fast--you know where to find me :) 

14 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I will check out those venues that were mentioned. Unfortunately, here in MA., the comic conventions little to do with comic books, and more to do with raking in the dollars by charging exorbitant prices to meet celebrities.

I know it'll be a challenge tracking these down, and I don't mind the cost... heck, I'll even pay extra for the right issues. Usually when I add something to my (small, but growing) collection, I force myself sell something else to balance off the cost. Sometimes, as time goes on, I feel a little "bored" even with issues I used to love. So if anyone here feels that way, and wants to make some cash for their next purchase, let me know (thumbsu

Boardmember Lptink2000(?) had a sales thread in December with a couple of these, I think he was asking $2K for an 8.0 Blue Bolt 114. Might be worth finding the thread and dropping him a note. (thumbsu

9 hours ago, drbanner said:

Boardmember Lptink2000(?) had a sales thread in December with a couple of these, I think he was asking $2K for an 8.0 Blue Bolt 114. Might be worth finding the thread and dropping him a note. (thumbsu

Interesting. I checked around but didn't see anyone selling these... I will keep checking...