• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2018 at 2:00 PM, Sqeggs said:

If Mickey ever got these books, I guess he/she must have given them back to the OO.  Nice copy for the grade. Really hammered for a bit of staining and a small tear on the back cover. 

2018-06-07-0001_zps1nomzekm.JPG

Or it's possible Mickey WAS the original owner; it was either written on the book by the newsstand to hold for them, or they were bought new as gifts.

11 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Or it's possible Mickey WAS the original owner; it was either written on the book by the newsstand to hold for them, or they were bought new as gifts.

Iirc, there are other books in this group with different names written in the same handwriting. 

10 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Nice looking copy, but this is nuts - Blue Bolt 114 for $3K in 6.5?!?!

That is insane.  I was tracking but didn't see the final hammer price.  It started at $300!  I'm not sure how much I trust this though.  It looks like real bidders stopped around the $1k mark and then 1 person kept trying to go over a 0 feedback bidder.  With what I've seen selling on Heritage I'd believe this could hit $1k but not much more than that.  Thoughts???

image.thumb.png.b453ff60f256750765cc1f8a19aaa8ab.png

My top bid was a bit over $1k. It's a tough issue in that grade or better, and I think there are a lot of people would would want it in the $1k to $2k range. Much smaller pool at $3k, especially given the "help" from the new bidder.  

I am suspicious of the hammer price, but it that's a shill they were doing it wrong. The 0 feedback bidder came in with a $3k snipe and only one bid with less than a minute left. Shillers usually use smaller increments, many bids, and then retract once the top has been established.  

bid.jpg

Edited by october

I have two copies of this book and was still a player at over 1k. I truly think it is one of Cole's best horror covers, and has cross theme appeal-Cole collectors, horror in general is blistering hot, underwater theme, and with the term "classic" cover being used so frequently now, I think this book is migrating towards that status with younger collectors who have made certain books explode (I'm looking at you COC 19). Glad I did not part with mine prematurely, it's a special book IMO. Not sure it's a 3k book, but it's all relative, right? 

Edited by jr81784

Maybe it is a 3k book, but it'd be the first in that grade to go that high.  Even with the odd shilling 1 bidder ups his own bid 2x, get's outbid by a 0 person and then wins?  Still seems shady.  Just a few months ago I got a BB #111 in ~5.0 ungraded for a lot less than this.  I realize the differences, but still.  

Cole books have skyrocketed lately though.  I'm sooooooooo close to getting all of my holes in Cole cover runs filled and I'm afraid there's a few I'll just never be able to get.  A decade ago you could get romance books for $35-40 a piece, now you can tack an extra 0 on the end of that! doh!

5 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Cole books have skyrocketed lately though.  I'm sooooooooo close to getting all of my holes in Cole cover runs filled and I'm afraid there's a few I'll just never be able to get.  A decade ago you could get romance books for $35-40 a piece, now you can tack an extra 0 on the end of that! doh!

I feel your pain, the fact that I don't own a STT 11 or a BB yet hurts my soul. Now I just spend my money on craft beer and appreciate what I do own! :tink:

44 minutes ago, jr81784 said:

I feel your pain, the fact that I don't own a STT 11 or a BB yet hurts my soul. Now I just spend my money on craft beer and appreciate what I do own! :tink:

Damn...   I have been able to pick up a STT 11 (and a Suspense 8) and I only need 1 Cole BB (although, I've considered getting the 1 cover that's a Wolverton just to finish out the run). I may need a BB back when they were Cole books, but I think I'm good.  Still looking for 1 Ghostly Weird book that BB changed into as well.  Not to cover everything, I'd die happy with:

- 1 more horror cover
 - 1 more sci-fi cover
 - 2 more romance books
 - 1 more adventure comic

The rest that I'm wanting haven't felt the "Cole bump" nearly as much yet and aren't as classic.  

However.... I'm in no shortage in the meantime of spending my $ on craft beer until some of the above pops up!  CHEERS!  :tink: