• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, manetteska said:

This is definitively a Cole cover, then? I've always wondered about this one (and another I can't seem to find right now that appears to be credited to Disbrow).

Yep, it's one of Cole's.  Is the other one you are thinking of Spook #30?  That cover is a swipe of a Disbrow interior.  There's a pic of it in the golden age splash pages thread. 

20 minutes ago, pmpknface said:
24 minutes ago, manetteska said:

This is definitively a Cole cover, then? I've always wondered about this one (and another I can't seem to find right now that appears to be credited to Disbrow).

Yep, it's one of Cole's.  Is the other one you are thinking of Spook #30?  That cover is a swipe of a Disbrow interior.  There's a pic of it in the golden age splash pages thread. 

Bingo - Spook 30 it is. So Cole did that cover but it's a swipe of Disbrow? If so, counts as cover or no?

Lastly, if you have any undercopies lying around...

Just now, manetteska said:

Bingo - Spook 30 it is. So Cole did that cover but it's a swipe of Disbrow? If so, counts as cover or no?

Lastly, if you have any undercopies lying around...

No it's all Disbrow's art.  By swipe instead of copying it I meant they literally took a 2/3 splash panel and used it for the cover of Spook 30.  So it's one of the few Star Pub books Cole didn't do.  

I don't think I have any undercopies of any horror covers.  Maybe a few romances ones....

18 hours ago, pmpknface said:
18 hours ago, manetteska said:

I was able to look more closely at the Horrors cover at home and now see Cole's signature on the left-hand side. (thumbsu

According to Overstreet, all of "The Horrors" books have L.B. Cole covers.  Here's one of mine;  his signature is just above and to the left of the word, "Terror" near the bottom.

The Horrors Of Mystery.jpg

Edited by fifties

23 hours ago, manetteska said:
On 11/28/2018 at 10:33 PM, lbcolefan said:

3FD04531-1EFE-485E-9A13-51D0DB5A2057.jpeg

According to CGC, it's apparently not a Cole cover but a Colecover. 

Just now, Dr. Love said:

One of these things is not like the others!

and have always long admired it.  So nice to see you post it again!  :applause:

I’m not sure if you can see it in the picture but the Flaming Western 3 is dated March/April 1950 and the Flaming Romances 4 is dated May/June.

I wonder why they never published it.

23 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

I’m not sure if you can see it in the picture but the Flaming Western 3 is dated March/April 1950 and the Flaming Romances 4 is dated May/June.

I wonder why they never published it.

Well, they did use the cover....  just under another title.  And it's contents too, as the stories are the same:

841889.jpg