• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Here you go, Jayman. It really does resemble your copy, right down to those discreet nibbles or whatever along the upper right edge. Unfortunately this one has part of an ad page missing. But the front shore is purty. :)

startlingterror10.jpg.10907c9fa073bdff25f0f14dd4724aef.jpg

Yours has a nicer wrap! :sumo:

And those discreet nibbles I believe are the cause of a dull cutting blade at the time of production.

Pretty book! :headbang:

17 hours ago, rtsunlimited said:

Anyone have a Taffy #2? :wishluck:

That seems to be one of the more rare L.B. Cole covers, yes?

What do you guys seem to think are other really rare covers?

It's a rare one, but does pop up, usually in lower grade.  I should have bought a low grade one of those when I saw it on the boards a few years ago and passed.  doh!  Some of the Toy Town ones are HTF too.  I think the same can be said for a number of the romance comics, usually the ones that begin a run even if they aren't #'1's.

19 hours ago, rtsunlimited said:

What do you guys seem to think are other really rare covers?

The Suspense Comics covers are tough.  #4 is one of the most rare books and #8 is super popular.  Terrific #3 a gerber 8.  

At one time a boardie did an analysis of what are the toughest LB Cole covers to get and I think Suspense 4 was the winner.  Also, good luck with a 4 Favorites #13.  If you comb through this thread you may find that list.  Good luck!  

Edited by pmpknface

On 2/19/2019 at 12:02 PM, pmpknface said:

The Suspense Comics covers are tough.  #4 is one of the most rare books and #8 is super popular.  Terrific #3 a gerber 8.  

At one time a boardie did an analysis of what are the toughest LB Cole covers to get and I think Suspense 4 was the winner.  Also, good luck with a 4 Favorites #13.  If you comb through this thread you may find that list.  Good luck!  

I'm good on the Suspense #4 (i've personally seen more of those than the #3 for some reason). Suspense Comics was one of the first GA runs I finished years ago (my #3 is a rag though)

I picked up the Four Favorites #13 from Terry's Comics a few years ago (Cole's first comic cover, yes?)

Thanks for the tip on Terrific #3 - I think I missed that as an L.B. Cole cover.

I'll have to hunt for the list on the toughest books you mentioned.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Buying that one gives me an excuse to post these again, hope the links stay up...

Pulps_new_091201001-1.jpg

Pulps_new_091201d001.jpg

Pulps_new_091201c001.jpg

Pulps_new_091201b001.jpg

Pulps_002001.jpg

Sorry, I scanned one 2x...

Pulps_003001.jpg

Pulps001.jpg

:golfclap:Outstanding sir!

Could you imagine if some of these were comic book covers? 'Here Lies Blood' for instance? :flipbait:

3 hours ago, pmpknface said:

Buying that one gives me an excuse to post these again, hope the links stay up...

Pulps_new_091201001-1.jpg

Pulps_new_091201d001.jpg

Pulps_new_091201c001.jpg

Pulps_new_091201b001.jpg

Pulps_002001.jpg

Sorry, I scanned one 2x...

Pulps_003001.jpg

Pulps001.jpg

Nice!

Are you sure the "Murder at Belle Camille" is by Cole? I've wrestled if it is or isn't.hm

I'm also curious if the other issues of Wit and Wisdom are by Cole. Well...presumably there are other issues as that is #4.

Has anyone seen issues 1-3. Is there a 5+? :wishluck: :popcorn:

2 hours ago, rtsunlimited said:

Nice!

Are you sure the "Murder at Belle Camille" is by Cole? I've wrestled if it is or isn't.hm

I'm also curious if the other issues of Wit and Wisdom are by Cole. Well...presumably there are other issues as that is #4.

Has anyone seen issues 1-3. Is there a 5+? :wishluck: :popcorn:

I forget how I knew about Belle Camille, it either has him on the inside or the site I got it from had him assigned for it.  I know he did a run of them from that publisher so I'm fairly certain.  I don't think he did the other Wit & Wisdom's tho.   I've seen some of the other issues but I can't recall what they looked like or which ones.  However it does help that I have 2 copies of the one he did.  :)  One is in better shape but another has better colors.  I have a few double copies of some books that I can't decide which is best.  However with prices on his books these days I may have to make a decision and fuel my habit...