• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

I still need 1 or 2 issues from each of the main Star titles. With today’s crazy prices I could never afford to complete them if I needed more.

I sold you a Ghostly Weird 121 and Starting Terror 5 but I don’t think I ever had a Spook 23 undercopy.

I could have sworn the Spook came from you but now that you mention the Startling Terror, I for sure remember that.  I had forgotten about getting the Ghostly from you.  Considering how tough some of the Star issues and your competition, I am amazed at how you have put your collection together.  When you did start this quest?

4 hours ago, telerites said:

I could have sworn the Spook came from you but now that you mention the Startling Terror, I for sure remember that.  I had forgotten about getting the Ghostly from you.  Considering how tough some of the Star issues and your competition, I am amazed at how you have put your collection together.  When you did start this quest?

My 1st Cole collection started in 1981. When I saw all the covers in the 81 Overstreet I was hooked. I had all of his Star horror and sci-fi covers in low to mid grade by around 84. I sold them about 5 years later when I got hooked on silver age books.

I started my current high grade collection when the Crippen collection came out in 06. There were 3 or 4 Blue Bolt’s in the 1st auction and I managed to win the 112. I was hooked again and still am 13 years later. I just wish I had gone after his earlier books back then but I decided to limit my collection to just the Star books. 

I’d been buying Cole books a few years before the 1981 Overstreet guide. Redbeard turned me on to them. When that guide came out poof, there went the prices. I kind of stopped for a few years until the wave had passed and started up again. The current wave has slowed down my progress quit a bit again. Another problem I have always had was I didn’t like the contents as much. Especially on the horror ones. I found I was paying a lot of money basically for a cover. I actually like to look through and read my books.

12 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

My 1st Cole collection started in 1981. When I saw all the covers in the 81 Overstreet I was hooked. I had all of his Star horror and sci-fi covers in low to mid grade by around 84. I sold them about 5 years later when I got hooked on silver age books.

I was a kid when that 1981 Overstreet came out, and it was the first price guide I ever owned. Cole's horror covers in that color display section scared me so much that I could hardly look at them, yet I was fascinated by them. It was so long ago that I'd completely forgotten about it, but that book obviously made a strong impression. :)

9 hours ago, Point Five said:

I was a kid when that 1981 Overstreet came out, and it was the first price guide I ever owned. Cole's horror covers in that color display section scared me so much that I could hardly look at them, yet I was fascinated by them. It was so long ago that I'd completely forgotten about it, but that book obviously made a strong impression. :)

You youngster.  My first guide was #4 and I thought they had made a mistake calling the JLA the JSA,  I was 11 years and I begged my mom to buy it for me.  I still have it and haven't missed a year.  Gawd, I am :preach:

Edited by telerites

31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

One of the tougher Hitler covers.

I'd never seen a copy for sale before. It was an inexplicably cheap Buy It Now on eBay from a few months ago. I think it was $110.

Edited by october