• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, marmat said:

Is this from a L.B. Cole cover? If so, which comic is it? Thanks

47569799851_b2b166caaa.jpg

https://www.comics.org/issue/97775/cover/4/

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found in the wild today.  Well worth the $5

OSPG_11.jpg

This 1981 book was my first price guide. I was fascinated by the LB Cole section in the front, even as a kid. Blew my young mind.

27 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

That’s exactly how I felt!

I can see how at first glance the expression might seem goofy. However, fans of vintage classic horror movies will recognize it as a common look used to thrill audiences!

86E12F54-B0B3-4013-BFD8-B25B7826894A.gif

2AABA6F9-9A63-47ED-BF82-33CFE7651B0C.gif

Edited by Jayman

50 minutes ago, Jayman said:

I can see how at first glance the expression might seem goofy. However, fans of vintage classic horror movies will recognize it as a common look used to thrill audiences!

86E12F54-B0B3-4013-BFD8-B25B7826894A.gif

2AABA6F9-9A63-47ED-BF82-33CFE7651B0C.gif

Awesome point. I also think, at least in my case, I’m often looking at tiny photos on my phone... which do little justice to the colors and details and “feel” of the comic in-hand.

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found in the wild today.  Well worth the $5

OSPG_11.jpg

That’s what put Cole on the map. Redbeard introduced me to him a year or so before that came out. We were buying Cole books right and left then poof there went the prices and I mostly moved on. He cooled down in a few years and I was able to grab some more. Nowadays, pretty much forget about it. You can still find his crime and excellent funny animal books pretty reasonable but probably not for long.

1 hour ago, thewritestuff said:

Awesome point. I also think, at least in my case, I’m often looking at tiny photos on my phone... which do little justice to the colors and details and “feel” of the comic in-hand.

One other example that comes to mind is Tor Johnson.

C57EBAE8-74AB-4098-B88B-10FA5EB6D61E.jpeg