• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2019 at 8:37 AM, Robot Man said:

That’s what put Cole on the map. Redbeard introduced me to him a year or so before that came out. We were buying Cole books right and left then poof there went the prices and I mostly moved on. He cooled down in a few years and I was able to grab some more. Nowadays, pretty much forget about it. You can still find his crime and excellent funny animal books pretty reasonable but probably not for long.

Interesting. It was around the time of Overstreet Price Guide #11 that I met Redbeard and he turned me on to Cole. I bought my first Cole books from Ron. Unfortunately sold most of them but I did keep Blue Bolt #118, my favorite cover to this day.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:10 PM, Point Five said:

This 1981 book was my first price guide. I was fascinated by the LB Cole section in the front, even as a kid. Blew my young mind.

The 1981 guide was my first as well. I remember liking the Cole pieces, but when it came to the commissions he was doing, I also remember wondering why anyone would pay a significant amount of money to get Cole to recreate one of his covers for them. My thinking was that why would anyone want a copy instead of the original? I was young and clueless lol

As it was, I grew up and was living in Montana at the time. I didn't even see a Cole cover in person until I was in my early thirties and moved to Minneapolis in 1999 where I found a copy of The Terrors in the Comic Book College in uptown.

The ones I've got nowadays aren't super high grade, but his covers now comprise the best part of my collection.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, Point Five said:

I missed the boat (so far) on #111. Thought it was too goofy back when it was cheap... really love it now but not so cheap. On the list!

It is goofy as hell.  He looks like he spilled his drink in his lap.  

On 5/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, eschnit said:

Change of pace

9E887FAE-2CCF-43F5-BFAC-8914A5D67ADE.thumb.png.0e312fa2e4c90a241fdc9a5c892a745b.png

Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot of copies of this one floating around? One of my favorite Cole romance books but I had no hard time finding it with my choice of grades and prices. 

21 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That could be true, I never noticed. Any difference between the two?

You can tell by the logos in the top left:

Popular Teen-Agers #5Popular Teen-Agers #5

36 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

You can tell by the logos in the top left:

Popular Teen-Agers #5Popular Teen-Agers #5

A lot of people aren’t aware of the difference, I think. A few months back I contacted  CLink about an auction listing that CGC incorrectly identified as Star Publications on the label, although the book was clearly the Accepted version. 

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That could be true, I never noticed. Any difference between the two?

Some of the AP reprints are very different with different color schemes but for the most part other than the logo they are identical.  Popular Teen-Agers #6 has a pink instead of blue version.  Not sure about the interiors though.  I have the AP version of the issue above, but I still am looking for a Star version.  I also have an AP version of a D i c k Cole book that is either trimmed or more narrow than standard GA issues.  

Edited by pmpknface

55 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

This is what I get for shopping around ebay in other sections, you become $20 poorer....

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Wow! Talk about deep cuts.

It's a nice cover but definitely needs a skull on it.