• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I looked closely at this one, but ultimately declined it.  It’s a cover only a mother could love.  It’s too jarring to look at for me, but I get that’s why others chase it so aggressively.  Truly unique

I know what you mean about GW #122. (We should post this in the Unpopular GA Opinions thread!) The psychedelic colors are the best thing going for it IMO.

It's the only issue in the GW mini-run I still need, but at that price point there's a ton of other books I would buy first.

I have one, bought ages ago.  I was actually gonna get rid of it, since the stories inside aren't that great, and the cover illus doesn't do too much for me, but there didn't seem to be much interest then.  What do you think it's fair market value is, about now?

I think that one contribution to L.B. Cole's cover's increasing recently is his death.  Artist's works often go up in value upon their own demise.

Ghostly Weird 122.jpg

22 hours ago, fifties said:

I have one, bought ages ago.  I was actually gonna get rid of it, since the stories inside aren't that great, and the cover illus doesn't do too much for me, but there didn't seem to be much interest then.  What do you think it's fair market value is, about now?

I think that one contribution to L.B. Cole's cover's increasing recently is his death.  Artist's works often go up in value upon their own demise.

Ghostly Weird 122.jpg

:baiting:LB Cole died in 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._B._Cole

The book that came out with all of his covers has helped a bit.  I think it's possible that other covers that people chase may have gone up and people started looking elsewhere, found Cole covers, and now it's a thing that has snowballed to what we're seeing now.  Just a thought.  

That said, I'm pretty sure you could get over a grand for your copy.  That above copy on HA went for $4320.  There's a 3.0 on CL that starts later this month that may be a good baseline for you:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FSEARCH_ADV.ASP%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3D%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26SearchPageQuality%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3Dcole%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D-1%26WCATEGORIES%3D-1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26_where_forsale%3Dy%26_where_auctions%3Dy%26ExcludeSP%3Dy%26x%3D39%26y%3D14%26where_auctions%3Dy%23Item_1363385&id=1363385&itemType=0