• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I feel misled.

Exactly.  He floods the threads with stuff that he pulls from Comic Book Plus, which anyone can access, rather than displaying what he owns, which is what everyone else generally does on this board.  

Frankly it turns me off.(tsk)

42 minutes ago, fifties said:

Exactly.  He floods the threads with stuff that he pulls from Comic Book Plus, which anyone can access, rather than displaying what he owns, which is what everyone else generally does on this board.  

Frankly it turns me off.(tsk)

I guess I’m not generally like everyone else then. The way I see it, either it’s fine to share and appreciate public domain comics on these boards, or it isn’t fine. I felt confident that I was going about it fine, and thus didn’t worry myself over it, but since I now see you point this out, then I now apologize if I wasn’t clear or am posting in the wrong threads. On the other hand, there are people such as Jayman telling me that my posts are informative and enjoyable, and I’m sure compliments like that are reasonable enough reasons for me to keep on posting as I am, in addition to my personal interests and passions.

That said though, if truthfully I have to use another thread, or even be redirected to another Golden Age forum website, and thus result in less confusion amongst you guys showcasing comics you’ve achieved in having scored and paid for, then I’ll accept that. If not, then I’ll just move on as I am then and enjoy myself, along with anyone else enjoying themselves as well. :)

50 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

I guess I’m not generally like everyone else then. The way I see it, either it’s fine to share and appreciate public domain comics on these boards, or it isn’t fine. I felt confident that I was going about it fine, and thus didn’t worry myself over it, but since I now see you point this out, then I now apologize if I wasn’t clear or am posting in the wrong threads. On the other hand, there are people such as Jayman telling me that my posts are informative and enjoyable, and I’m sure compliments like that are reasonable enough reasons for me to keep on posting as I am, in addition to my personal interests and passions.

That said though, if truthfully I have to use another thread, or even be redirected to another Golden Age forum website, and thus result in less confusion amongst you guys showcasing comics you’ve achieved in having scored and paid for, then I’ll accept that. If not, then I’ll just move on as I am then and enjoy myself, along with anyone else enjoying themselves as well. :)

Other than a bad case of envy, I enjoyed seeing your posts😂 I feel as though you share a passion and appreciation for Cole’s art, which is a good thing, right?  Maybe you could make a disclaimer to let other boardies know if you are posting scans of your faves vs. your personal copies?

1 hour ago, thewritestuff said:

Other than a bad case of envy, I enjoyed seeing your posts😂 I feel as though you share a passion and appreciation for Cole’s art, which is a good thing, right?  Maybe you could make a disclaimer to let other boardies know if you are posting scans of your faves vs. your personal copies?

Yeah, I’ll try to be more clear sooner where I should. Sorry for any confused envy. Haha.

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'll go the other way here. Electricmastro has stated several times where he gets his images. I long ago realized this. I have on occasion as well as many other boardies "borrowed" images to make a point or feature something that might be of interest to others.

Most people focus only on covers and grades on a plastic case. He delves a little deeper into what these pamphlets are really about. It takes time and energy to do this. I got no problem with it. And, I find it informational sometimes. Go for it brother!

Thanks!

On 9/28/2020 at 1:29 PM, Electricmastro said:

Did L. B. Cole draw this cover, or was it that Ellis Chambers drew it and that Cole inked it?

ukX1oFf.jpg

Source: CB+

Definitely was drawn by Chambers and inked by Cole. Hi-Ho #2 is definitely Chambers drawn and Cole inked too even though it's not signed. Taffy #1 too. When Cole drew a cartoon style cover all himself you can tell it's his, it looks much different than this,more stiff and just different. The 50s Star publications funny animal covers by Cole are 100 percent Cole. Cole learned to draw cartoony from Chambers and copied Chambers double line style for his cartoony covers. .

Not sure if this is the place to ask but . . . 

Recently acquired a few LB Cole Love books (Top Love Stories 16 and 18, True-To-Life Romances 20 and Popular Teen-agers 22) and found that each have 2 or 3 copies on the census and slim-to-none sales data from GPA or HA.com. 

Are these that rare, or just not that popular, or? 

Thanks

21 hours ago, Qua-Brot said:

Not sure if this is the place to ask but . . . 

Recently acquired a few LB Cole Love books (Top Love Stories 16 and 18, True-To-Life Romances 20 and Popular Teen-agers 22) and found that each have 2 or 3 copies on the census and slim-to-none sales data from GPA or HA.com. 

Are these that rare, or just not that popular, or? 

Thanks

I collect a lot of Cole, and I've never come across a Popular Teenagers 22. I think the Top Love 18 has a great cover. I am guessing there would be more interest in these, but they are so seldom seen that most collectors are unaware of them?

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I came across this in the August 1948 issue of Esquire. I’m sure Cole fans will recognize this pose. I wish I had the comic to go along with it!

Wow- what an eye!  Great catch!  Such an obvious, direct swipe. I wonder if Cole used it intentionally, expecting people to recognize it?  Increase sales?  Or just lazy...ha ha.  

23 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

Wow- what an eye!  Great catch!  Such an obvious, direct swipe. I wonder if Cole used it intentionally, expecting people to recognize it?  Increase sales?  Or just lazy...ha ha.  

I'm going with lazy - errrrr, efficient.  hm

I would go with intentional, and not lazy but what artists did (and do).

Artists kept scrap books and clippings of pictures and art to use for reference. Perfect example (and one that our hobby benefitted from the most) - Mile High collection. Edgar Church was an artist who bought the comics for reference. Here, with Mr. Cole, we have the reverse (using other media for reference for Comics). 

Also, the market for the original was not the same market for the comics - I doubt kids (or even teens) would have access to the original. So there would be a rare person who saw the swipe at the time.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:27 AM, catman76 said:

Definitely was drawn by Chambers and inked by Cole. Hi-Ho #2 is definitely Chambers drawn and Cole inked too even though it's not signed. Taffy #1 too. When Cole drew a cartoon style cover all himself you can tell it's his, it looks much different than this,more stiff and just different. The 50s Star publications funny animal covers by Cole are 100 percent Cole. Cole learned to draw cartoony from Chambers and copied Chambers double line style for his cartoony covers. .

It was also suggested that L. B. Cole penciled Toytown Comics, but going by what you said and the HC here, then Cole probably didn’t pencil any of this at all, and that he never changed up his penciling style that much, even when going by his Frisky Animals covers.

aHefYRG.jpg

5trrpYH.jpg

5uVGVhE.jpg