• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

Yeah, he did lots of covers with black backgrounds... :cloud9:

stt10.jpg

That's pretty! :cloud9:

Thought i would post a few of my Cole books.

I finally found an affordable copy of Mask 2 last month.

MASK 2

TERR JUNGLE 4

Great books!!! :applause:

Wazzup! :hi:

Good to see you still watching the Boards. (thumbs u

There are a few other L. B. Cole covers with black backgrounds, such as Blue Bolt #105, 108, Catman #31, Captain Aero #22 etc... Great books!
The black background was a deliberate tactic to get eyes focused on his covers. Evidently black was not used much at that time and he felt that with a black cover it would figuratively punch a hole in the newstand and make the image "pop."

black, schmlack, he did pretty good with green, too.

terrors20.jpg

and with all due respect to the other books' posted, this is my VERY favorite cole cover, and it's got a black b'ground.

bb105.jpg

Did you see the recreation of this cover that Cole did in the 80s? It sold recently at Heritage.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_image_only.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.ha.com%2Flf%3Fsource%3Durl%5Bfile%3Aimages%2Finetpub%2Fnewnames%2F300%2F5%2F0%2F8%2F2%2F5082906.jpg%5D%2Ccontinueonerror%5Btrue%5D%26source%3Durl%5Bfile%3Aimages%2Finetpub%2Fwebuse%2Fno_image_available.gif%5D%2Cif%5B('global.source.error')%5D%26sink%3Dpreservemd%5Btrue%5D

Edited by *paull*

Thought i would post a few of my Cole books.

I finally found an affordable copy of Mask 2 last month.

Great books!!! :applause:

Wazzup! :hi:

Good to see you still watching the Boards. (thumbs u

Thanks! :) I haven't bought much lately, but I still love viewing all the goodies everyone has been buying!

This is by no means my favorite Cole cover but it is my only Church book so I thought I'd post it. Can you imagine if there were women on the cover instead of men - it would rival Seven Seas #4 in popularity (at least for underseas covers.)

Great1.jpg

There are a few other L. B. Cole covers with black backgrounds, such as Blue Bolt #105, 108, Catman #31, Captain Aero #22 etc... Great books!
The black background was a deliberate tactic to get eyes focused on his covers. Evidently black was not used much at that time and he felt that with a black cover it would figuratively punch a hole in the newstand and make the image "pop."

black, schmlack, he did pretty good with green, too.

terrors20.jpg

Terrors Of The Jungle #20... this is one of my favs. The word "Terrors" looks great with the vivid colors! Beautiful book :cloud9:

Edited by comichut