• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,887 posts in this topic

...although I have always admired the understated charm of this one as well...

PopularTeen-agers1565.jpg

Me too -- I love this cover! :applause: I have a copy too, and I've never seen another copy in all these years. Folks always ooh and ahh over this book when I post it (and for good reason).

Your copy looks like a real beauty... any chance of a larger scan?

...although I have always admired the understated charm of this one as well...

PopularTeen-agers1565.jpg

Me too -- I love this cover! :applause: I have a copy too, and I've never seen another copy in all these years. Folks always ooh and ahh over this book when I post it (and for good reason).

Your copy looks like a real beauty... any chance of a larger scan?

popteen.jpg

A masterpiece of composition.

One of those rare occasions when a book on ebay turned uout to be nicer than graded. Is yours nicer? I agree with you about scarcity - but it's also kinda easy to overlook it in Gerber until you really look at it. I didint notice it myself until a buddy switched me on to it. (thumbs u

A couple more pick-up from San Diego.

The Mask 1 I just could not resist. I bought it from Jamie Graham just as the show was starting on Thursday.

Mask165.jpg

And probably the best score from the show - Blue Bolt 105 from Ted at Superworld.

BlueBolt105.jpg

The Mask 1 I just could not resist. I bought it from Jamie Graham just as the show was starting on Thursday.

Mask165.jpg

And probably the best score from the show - Blue Bolt 105 from Ted at Superworld.

BlueBolt105.jpg

Deep reds on that #105! (thumbs u

Mask165.jpg

BlueBolt105.jpg

The Mask 1 is awesome (great page quality), and Ted had some very nice Cole books on display. :applause:

Here is one for the L.B. Cole fans. Back in 1994/1995 I was exchanging a few letters with L.B. Cole which eventually led to an interview (along with Scotty Moore) that was published in the Comic Book Marketplace. During our conversation with him he mentioned selling a number of his color proofs to a couple of collectors. I managed to track one guy down in Nevada and still remember part of the conversation on the phone. I asked him if any of the proofs were Suspense Comics or Terrific Comics. Yep, one is a Suspense. Do you know what number? Nope, no number on it. (I was thinking it has to be issues #3-#6). Can you describe it? It has some guys that are torturing or sacrificing a girl. (Now I knew it was #3 or #4). Any Nazi guys? Nope, guys dressed in cloaks. So it was the Suspense #4. What was really neat about when I got it was that it was not trimmed like the comic is after the bindery, so the cover proof clearly shows L.B. Cole's signature at the bottom.

Now for those fans out there that might be able to help. There was another L.B. Cole Suspense Comics proof that was sold in a Wooley's auction in 1983. It is a steel tentacled Octopus making its way down a city street with cars and people in the grasp of various tentacles. I would love to find this some day, or at least get a color copy of it.

Enjoy!

Suspense%204%20Proof%20%285.6MB%29.jpg

Here is one for the L.B. Cole fans. Back in 1994/1995 I was exchanging a few letters with L.B. Cole which eventually led to an interview (along with Scotty Moore) that was published in the Comic Book Marketplace. During our conversation with him he mentioned selling a number of his color proofs to a couple of collectors. I managed to track one guy down in Nevada and still remember part of the conversation on the phone. I asked him if any of the proofs were Suspense Comics or Terrific Comics. Yep, one is a Suspense. Do you know what number? Nope, no number on it. (I was thinking it has to be issues #3-#6). Can you describe it? It has some guys that are torturing or sacrificing a girl. (Now I knew it was #3 or #4). Any Nazi guys? Nope, guys dressed in cloaks. So it was the Suspense #4. What was really neat about when I got it was that it was not trimmed like the comic is after the bindery, so the cover proof clearly shows L.B. Cole's signature at the bottom.

Now for those fans out there that might be able to help. There was another L.B. Cole Suspense Comics proof that was sold in a Wooley's auction in 1983. It is a steel tentacled Octopus making its way down a city street with cars and people in the grasp of various tentacles. I would love to find this some day, or at least get a color copy of it.

Enjoy!

I can't help you with your search but cool story.

Edited by damonwad

Very cool! Thanks for the info and posting the proof.

Enjoy!

This is my first purchase from ebay in about 2 years. There are a few gems there every now and then I guess. The Big Apple copy just went for over 3K (I saw the book in San Diego and it was beautiful) which was more than I could afford, then this appeared on ebay, so I felt very lucky. Of course, I could have bought the Mile High copy in San Diego - it was also a 7.5 like the Big apple copy and the asking price was only $12K. Anyway here it is:

CaptainAero26.jpg

This is my first purchase from ebay in about 2 years. There are a few gems there every now and then I guess. The Big Apple copy just went for over 3K (I saw the book in San Diego and it was beautiful) which was more than I could afford, then this appeared on ebay, so I felt very lucky. Of course, I could have bought the Mile High copy in San Diego - it was also a 7.5 like the Big apple copy and the asking price was only $12K. Anyway here it is:

CaptainAero26.jpg

You beat me out for this one, congrats on a great pick-up.