• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

Here's a question...

This is up on ebay now. It's listed as being a LB Cole cover in the listing and in Overstreet. However, it really doen't look like one of his, and it's not even signed (as far as I can see). I know he did the awesome cover to #1 of this series, but IS THIS REALLY A LB COLE COVER?

!Bmk,B5!!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DIEtp)Z0rOHBLgERb2HdQ~~_3.JPG

I'm no expert, but this doesn't look anything at all like L.B. Cole. I'd say no.

Thank you! I wonder if there's a process for questioning Overstreet on this...

So, I sent an email to the people at Overstreet and I just got a reply:

Jamie,

I looked at the Patches cover and some of Cole's romance covers on the Heritage Auction site and I see a similarity in style.

The notation has been in the Guide since the 13th edition (1983), and back then Bob Overstreet was in contact with Cole (he did the cover for the 11th edition.) I don't know if Bob got the information directly from Cole, but it's likely.

Thanks for your question.

Mark Huesman - Creative Director

or "Dear Sir, I haven't a clue. The notation's been there for a really long time so I am going to leave it. I haven't figured out that titles like Sport Thrills would be better comparables, but hey romance titles were the first ones that the search retrieved, so I checked those out. I also haven't figured out that Cole's covers were normally prominently signed but I didn't let that stop me either. Btw, could you let me know more about what titles he worked on because I'm really not sure. As I say, that notation's been there a really long time." :busy:

- light assist on this cover at best assuming that Bob O's notes were correct. He wasn't proud enough of it to sign it. Beyond that the coloring of his covers is generally very distinctive as he controlled that as well, and this doesn't fit the bill. And the style just doesn't look right either.

But hey, the notation's been there a long time.

I haven't figured out that titles like Sport Thrills would be better comparables, but hey romance titles were the first ones that the search retrieved, so I checked those out.

Romance comics aren't a bad choice because they would be most likely to display LB Cole's figure-drawing skills for a teenage audience -- stuff like Pop Teenagers or School Days Romances.

I agree it's hard to see LB Cole's style in this, but if you look at the leg and crotch area (yeah, I know you want to) you can see some potential Cole style in terms of the shading and movement technique. Notice the fabric lines with a slight teardrop shape at their edges.

Also look at the main character's face. Notice the squinty half-eye on the right, and the weird lines forming the lower lip. You can see the same thing done in LB Cole's romance covers.

Also notice the stark black shade lines forming where the main guy is holding the football, and also on the right guy's back curving up into the number 13. Those are consistent with LB Cole shading style.

LB Cole wasn't always the best at figure drawing and I can see why he might avoid signing his name to this cover, which looks pretty rushed.

romance comics show figures standing still. Sport Thrills, Cole, Target, etc will show dynamic figures and/or actual sports. Again, assist at best. I agree there are some small similarities, never said there weren't, and don't deny it may be partly his hand. But that's not a full cole piece. It would be signed, have more flair, and the coloring wouldn't be so drab.

I may have been too hard on the overstreet employee but I consider the above self-evident

I've often wondered about that cover too. Cole didn't sign his credited Dell covers though. He's also credited with the Tailspin cover (just grabbed off the boards WOOHOO!) and that's not signed but certainly looks like his work. He also did covers for a few issues of THE WORLD AROUND US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=190488070111&si=UgqNrrKpfRVEbGk271l8SPecsmk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

that I don't see sigs on, but I guess they are his too.

And on a side not I'm sitting next to a copy of BLUE BOLT V9 #9. GREAT lumberyard cover! Scored it for $21 off the bay. I'm really into those covers right now. I may try to get a few more of them soon!

That's a no-show that is sorely missed as it's an outstanding sci-fi cover from Cole! :applause: