• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

I really wish that the Blue Bolt 105 cover didn't have word balloons, text, or the banner on the left side of the cover. It's one of Cole's best, but it's compromised by all that stuff on the cover.... thankfully he did a bunch of classic covers without it.

I really wish that the Blue Bolt 105 cover didn't have word balloons, text, or the banner on the left side of the cover. It's one of Cole's best, but it's compromised by all that stuff on the cover....

I agree completely - BB 105 would be on my want list if it weren't for all the clutter - it really is some of Cole's nicest work. This is why I generally prefer Cole's 40s stuff - the covers are free of extraneous verbage. There are a few Star books where the captions were kept to a minimum, and one of my faves is the bloody hands cover on a Startling Terror - the number escapes me, but I'll post it sometime unless I'm beaten to it.

627892-bolt105_small.jpg

Banner;

In full agreement with you here. This is certainly one of Cole's best covers even with all the clutter and words in there. Best thing is that it is still very reasonably priced in the OS guide. smile.gif

Bad thing is that you virtually never see it for sale in the marketplace. Been looking for a high grade copy for several years now without any luck. frown.gif

An L.B. Cole cover thread wouldn't be complete without this one...

it's a 2.0, but the cover image is real nice. Almost all the defects are related to the brittle spine. This book is tough as hell in anything above VG... the Suspense Comics spines are notoriously bad. It seems like the paper used for the covers was of pretty low quality.

629062-IMGP1981.JPG

629062-IMGP1981.JPG.b6c6179e6e84caba393430257c6a9643.JPG

Edited by paull

it's a 2.0, but the cover image is real nice. Almost all the defects are related to the brittle spine. This book is tough as hell in anything above VG... the Suspense Comics spines are notoriously bad. It seems like the paper used for the covers was of pretty low quality.

Geeze paull! Stop being an apologist for one of the most classic Coles of all time. Thing is, brittle spine or whatever - you GOT it. My Startling 11 is obviously based on yours, but you got it! So just take the acclaim.gif and grin.gif!!!

You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

...It tooks me a long time to find it and finally someone here on the boards (I would be able to REMEMBER who sold it to me if the PM limit hadn't caused me to prematurely delete all my PMs) sold it to me a year and half or so ago. It has a lot of intangible for me!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I haven't added any L.B. Cole covers to my collection in the last few years, concentrating more on Schomburg among others, but this thread has got me jonesing to buy some Star horror and jungle books. Keep 'em comin'.

I've posted this before, but here it is again, my only Cole cover. Drbanner, didn't you buy a Weird Blue Bolt Tales, with a Cole Cover from me?

Great cover!!

Chances are good it was me as that's one of the titles I collect...what's your ebay name?

Chances are good it was me as that's one of the titles I collect...what's your ebay name?

Same as here, jeffreykli. I think it might have been Weird Blue Bolt 117, but can't remember. Pretty low grade book, but with a great Cole cover.

I love the Terrors of the Jungle 17 cover... one of my favorites! It's got everything! Natives, shrunken heads, woman in bondage, etc.

I feel the same way! That's why I kept it as a representative Cole cover. thumbsup2.gif