• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2017 at 8:37 AM, lbcolefan said:

I had several chances to buy the Church copy. It was on Metro's site for quite a while. Then it showed up on Heritage where I was the underbidder. After that it sat on eBay for over a year. I had it in my cart several times but I never pulled the trigger:pullhair:

I still need the 22 and 28 to complete the run but there's no way I would pay that much for a 5.0!

I used to own the Church copy. I bought it raw from Ritter, who, I believe, bought it raw from a Heritage auction. Unfortunately, I had to sell my collection in 2010, and consigned it to HA. It's the only Church book I've ever owned. Wish that I still had it

On 10/18/2017 at 8:38 AM, telerites said:

Wow....  that's a huge price for that book.  It took me a while to find a decent copy, but they are out there.  Some of these prices are getting out of control, this being exhibit #1.

2 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

Did LB Cole do the cover for this? Ive done some research and I keep finding another name for it. Although it looks like Lbs style

I believe that this one was Jay Disbrow.  I think it's actually a panel from either this or a prior issue, maybe touched up a bit. 

FYI - GREAT pickup on the Suspense #11!  I was checking that one out for a while.  

4 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

Did LB Cole do the cover for this? Ive done some research and I keep finding another name for it. Although it looks like Lbs style

Are there many LBC covers that he didn't sign?  I'm having trouble thinking of any, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others in this thread. 

Jay Disbrow wrote that there were some covers where LB Cole inked over Jay's pencils.  This annoyed Jay as Cole signed them as he if had done all of the work (e.g. Blue Bolt 119).  Disbrow was not that good of an artist so Cole inks definitely improved matters.

In the case of Spook 30, I doubt Cole did anything other than do the color design.

10 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Jay Disbrow wrote that there were some covers where LB Cole inked over Jay's pencils.  This annoyed Jay as Cole signed them as he if had done all of the work (e.g. Blue Bolt 119).  Disbrow was not that good of an artist so Cole inks definitely improved matters.

In the case of Spook 30, I doubt Cole did anything other than do the color design.

Thanks for the info everybody! Saved me from possibly buying a non cole cover, even though spook #30 is a great cover. I just picked up an Indian Warriors #11 and a 4 Most #3 so I'll def post when they come in!

7 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

This is the title splash page from the story "The Insider" by Jay Disbrow that originally appeared in Blue Bolt Weird 114. I used to have a scan uploaded here on the old boards but the links gone now...:sorry:

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Are there many LBC covers that he didn't sign?  I'm having trouble thinking of any, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others in this thread. 

I don't think he signed Ship Ahoy 1, or Tailspin 1, and both are attributed to Cole.  Those are the only ones I can think of.