• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

For anyone who might be interested, there are nice graded copies of Mask 1 and 2 being sold as a pair on eBay right now

Wow, there's overpriced then there's whatever this is.  He's at least 100% over a probably still unrealistic asking price.  Too bad, I've wanted a copy of both for a long time.  Definitely worth waiting in this case!  

5 hours ago, comicquant said:

Wow, there's overpriced then there's whatever this is.  He's at least 100% over a probably still unrealistic asking price.  Too bad, I've wanted a copy of both for a long time.  Definitely worth waiting in this case!  

My collection is in its infancy, so I haven't even made it far enough to consider those comics. Perhaps in a corresponding move, the fellow who (apparently) sold the graded Ghostly Weird 120 turned around and  changed the prices of two of his remaining listings: Spook 29 and Spook 26, both CGC 7.5. He was originally asking around $1700/best offer each. He actually RAISED those prices to $2,499. An interesting selling technique, that.

6 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

He was originally asking around $1700/best offer each. He actually RAISED those prices to $2,499. An interesting selling technique, that.

If they didn't sell at 1700 they can just as easily not sell at 2499. (:

I suspect this thread has had an impact on their repricing decision.

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:
10 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

He was originally asking around $1700/best offer each. He actually RAISED those prices to $2,499. An interesting selling technique, that.

If they didn't sell at 1700 they can just as easily not sell at 2499. (:

I suspect this thread has had an impact on their repricing decision.

Yeah, as I was contemplating making him an offer on the Spook 26 he raised the asking price by $700.  Could be that he was selling the others at or around his ask and figured that if they were selling that quickly, he'd raise the ante.

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, as I was contemplating making him an offer on the Spook 26 he raised the asking price by $700.  Could be that he was selling the others at or around his ask and figured that if they were selling that quickly, he'd raise the ante.

Someone must've made him a great offer on all the others (hmmm... Lbcolefan's been awfully quiet), and he figured he can jack up the prices on the rest.

1 hour ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Someone must've made him a great offer on all the others (hmmm... Lbcolefan's been awfully quiet), and he figured he can jack up the prices on the rest.

Not me!

I made offers slightly below his asking prices but he rejected them and decided to sell them off eBay

I’ve been in severe depression ever since! I’m kicking myself for not hitting the bin on the Startling Terror 7 & 14 and the Shocking Mystery 55. The Ghostly Weird 122 was already gone by the time I saw them:pullhair:

They were priced very aggressively but I may never have another chance to get them in that condition. His price on the Fantastic Fears 6 is almost double what I paid for my 8.0 last summer.

2 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Aw, you've got the SHOCKING DETECTIVE and FLAMING ROMANCES cp's?!?!?!  Bad@$$!!!

Yeah, I got the Shocking Detective at the Comic Connect Cole estate auction. I got lucky on the Flaming Romances. I googled it several years ago and found it listed on an outdated website. I contacted the dealer and he still had it!

I would love to find the Weird Jungle Tales cover proof:cloud9:

47 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

Yeah, I got the Shocking Detective at the Comic Connect Cole estate auction. I got lucky on the Flaming Romances. I googled it several years ago and found it listed on an outdated website. I contacted the dealer and he still had it!

I would love to find the Weird Jungle Tales cover proof:cloud9:

They're all great. I personally think the Spook 30 is one of the coolest covers in the run. 

1 minute ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

They're all great. I personally think the Spook 30 is one of the coolest covers in the run. 

P.S. A severe depression is what I feel when I see your collection, and most of those comics weren't/aren't even on my want list! :)

Edited by AuthorJamesMichaelRice

1 hour ago, lbcolefan said:

Here’s some more random group shots of the rest of my slabbed Cole books. The Spook 30 isn’t a Cole cover but it’s still a Star book.

9CB278AE-A6EE-4878-9FBC-B68C8E5FD0FD.jpeg

AC794801-A72D-4837-B3BC-69D7DE5ABB7E.jpeg

62A489F9-3E40-41F7-B1FC-B0EB472E97A4.jpeg

1FE5F473-3F9F-4430-BAE1-8DC217F3246B.jpeg

9E761EC5-D8DF-47DC-914E-4A0DDFE0D13B.jpeg

F9B0AEE8-D126-4500-93CB-9B64E3D3C56E.jpeg

17270062-D3FF-4411-9C47-76252D735F67.jpeg

Now this is the type of Cole I want in my stocking at Christmas! :bigsmile:

Great books!