• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

Super book.

What grade do you think it is in?

If it's grades CGC 8.0 blue label, you can double your money. insane.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...It's nice but the back cover is not as pretty as the front. Would probably grade out as a VF- or F/VF due to some edge wear on the back. I usally keep my books until I upgrade them so this one's a keeper for now.

Thought this would be the appropriate thread to ask this question. I would be interested in picking up copies of Mask 1 and 2 at around VG condition. How hard are they to find? What percentage of guide would I be looking at? Those 2 covers blew me away when I first saw them. Truly two of the best I have ever seen.

Mask #1 was the first Golden Age book that I every bought, and it's my favorite cover ever. I bought my VG+ copy about 5-6 years ago for about $400. And I bought my VG copy of Mask #2 for about the same amount two years ago.

I would say that you'd probably have to spend close to guide for both of them. Mask #1 guides at $560 in VG and Mask #2 $352 in VG. Metropolis has a copy of #1 in Good (with a taped spine) for $300. I would expect them to sell a VG copy for close to guide, since their Good price is slightly over guide. Maybe another dealer would cut you a break.

I wouldn't call either book super scarce, but I do believe that I see less copies of #2 than I do #1. A few copies (lower than VG) of #1 have shown up on eBay in the past year.

I was reading the Overstreet guide #11 last night which has a lengthy article on L.B. Cole. It appears that he did a number of re-creations (no idea how many), but Overstreet and Hamilton had an ad in the book soliciting requests for them in three sizes, 1x, 1.5x and 2x original size. Considering the fact that I've only seen about four of them for sale over the past decade means that people are in no rush to sell them.

I've seen a few listed in websites over the past 3 or so years since I got interested in collecting art I have never seen listed anywhere close to the price this one was listed at I think I saw one of the Suspense covers with an asking price of $2K a year or two back Fantastic artist, by using bright primary colors he sure gets your attention quick. I bet the books with his covers stood out big time in the 40's and 50's

Here is a link to Mask 1 Recreation that i have....enjoy...jon

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=38624&GSub=5028&GCat=0&UCat=0

You have an amazing collection of art - bravo!! hail.gif

Isn't that the truth hail.gif

Not to derail this thread at all, but this is the one that really blew me away 893applaud-thumb.gif

I went to a local show in Philadelphia today planning to pick up some pre-code horror books, but saw nothing that I thought was reasonably priced. However I did see something that would serve as a nice upgrade to a book I already have: Thrilling Crime Cases #49. My first copy is probably a Good minus, and this new copy of probably a VG/F. Soft corners, tiny pieces missing at corners and a non-color breaking crease on the cover. Otherwise bright colors and very presentable. Surprisingly good pages on this book. Most Star books I see have Tanning or Cream to Off-White pages. These look off-white to me.

684710-ThrillingCrimeCases49.jpg

684710-ThrillingCrimeCases49.jpg.a0057fced1186077d33c72c3f9a4f497.jpg

Edited by paull