• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sagii said:

...Anyone catch the error listing in the current HA Sunday auction? It has 'Popular Teen-Agers #17' listed as 'Secrets of Love #17'. 

It's raw, so maybe that explains the slip up..

That's odd.  Although I'll give them a bit of leeway as the title is actually "Popular Teen-agers, Secrets of Love" so there's the title and the sub-title.  They should have caught that one tho.

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

@pmpknface So what are your top 3 favorite covers from the 'Top Love Stories' run? 

I'm partial to #19 and #10 myself, but then i don't have the whole run to fuss over :baiting:

I'd have to say the #18, #7, & #5.  

The #5 has those odd / fun poster color colors that I love.  Lots of purple!

The #7, I love the babe in the sparkly outfit and white hair.  How often do you see a babe with white hair on GA romance books?  Also, I own a cover proof of it.  ;) 

The #18 has those colors too, and a "smoking" hot babe by the pool.  Not his only one of those, but still cool!  

Although the #13 does get points for the cover title "I LOVED MY DOCTOR!"  :D 

3 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

I'd have to say the #18, #7, & #5.  

The #5 has those odd / fun poster color colors that I love.  Lots of purple!

The #7, I love the babe in the sparkly outfit and white hair.  How often do you see a babe with white hair on GA romance books?  Also, I own a cover proof of it.  ;) 

The #18 has those colors too, and a "smoking" hot babe by the pool.  Not his only one of those, but still cool!  

Although the #13 does get points for the cover title "I LOVED MY DOCTOR!"  :D 

All great choices! 

#5 is special for sure.

On another note: Don't think the #4 comes up for sale , out side of a recent low grade copy on eBay, can't remember the last time i saw one. 

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

All great choices! 

#5 is special for sure.

On another note: Don't think the #4 comes up for sale , out side of a recent low grade copy on eBay, can't remember the last time i saw one. 

You might be right on that.  I think I got mine so long ago but I do always lookout.  I don't recall seeing one recently.  I remember the #3 being one of the last I picked up as being in the same bucket.  The #12 and #15 for sure.  I've seen a few #15's and they are often miscut into the dialog on the right side, which sucks.  If memory serves mine is cut close but you can make it out.  

Oh, a CGC 1.5 just sold on Sunday for $100.  They are all getting HTF in nice looking grade and aren't getting cheaper!  A quick search on heritage showed me a #3 (#1) CGC 7.5 sold for $90 in 2008.  A CGC 4.0 #19 (a much more common one - and I have 2!) just sold this past September for $660!!!  Got one???  

6 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

You might be right on that.  I think I got mine so long ago but I do always lookout.  I don't recall seeing one recently.  I remember the #3 being one of the last I picked up as being in the same bucket.  The #12 and #15 for sure.  I've seen a few #15's and they are often miscut into the dialog on the right side, which sucks.  If memory serves mine is cut close but you can make it out.  

Oh, a CGC 1.5 just sold on Sunday for $100.  They are all getting HTF in nice looking grade and aren't getting cheaper!  A quick search on heritage showed me a #3 (#1) CGC 7.5 sold for $90 in 2008.  A CGC 4.0 #19 (a much more common one - and I have 2!) just sold this past September for $660!!!  Got one???  

Yes, i have a #19 (that's why i'm partial to it (: ), i was out bid on the HA one, put in a proxy and thought it would hold. That sale flushed out one on eBay shortly after and i finally nabbed one. Raw, but A LOT cheaper (but not 'cheap'). 

Hey, ya got one!  ^^

I'm lazy when it comes to selling.  However in this scenario it may have worked in my favor.  I believe I have 2 copies of #6 and #19.  I should get them slabbed and make a mortgage payment.  :p 

I know I have an extra True to Life Romances #8 (the second one, marriage cover) that's in fair condition, a lot of writing on the cover.  I got it as a filler because it was never coming up.  Then scored a sweet copy years later.  :D  Now that's a run that is difficult to pick favorites of!  Many different types of covers and soooooo many good ones!  But best cover title goes to #14, "My Love Was Auctioned!" seeing as how I get many of these issues.  (thumbsu

Oh and as long as we're on it...  the Popular Teenagers, Secrets of Love run doesn't have a bad one in the bunch and likely 2 of Cole's best in the snowy #15 and Christmas-ish #11.  The only exception is the silly gorilla #6 cover with the early logo.  And you could make a case for the tuna fishing cover in #7 or the lobster cover on #8, but at least those have nice Toni Gay covers.  

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

...I agree, don't have many of these, but i LOVE this one! I love old Hollywood movies and this cover is a scene right out of one (with Ted Turner colorizing (: you may not get that reference lol )

..and now you know why i harped on the listing slip up :shy:

Popular Teen-Agers #17.jpg

Excellent!!!  Great colors on that copy.  How'd someone get "Secrets of Love" as a note???  Not only does it have those Cole primary covers but in the background the green plants that have no detail that he used in a bunch, like they overlap with no sense of what is in front.  Plus that shading, like in the cheeks, that he used in the later ones - even in the background people.  The man had a great sense of sig placement too, huh?  

Hello there.  I just recieved a GA batch of comics about a week ago. one of the books was a Popular teenagers secrets of love book 13.   the entire ga lot is something i am parting with as i go thru, this is a book as well can part with or trade.   in anycase.  here is a scan. take a look . very deep colors and sharp copy in general.

20181112_104912.jpg

Thanks to a cool boardie, this beauty landed in my mailbox today. My favorite cover in the run and one you don’t see often. Composition and colors are amazing. Might even be in my L. B. Cole top ten. A lot of folks probably don’t realize that he did a lot of nature work for magazines like Field and Stream. Do yourself a favor and google it. Really beautiful stuff. 

D9D5379B-DCEC-4253-9D95-A0F0BC961E67.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks to a cool boardie, this beauty landed in my mailbox today. My favorite cover in the run and one you don’t see often. Composition and colors are amazing. Might even be in my L. B. Cole top ten. A lot of folks probably don’t realize that he did a lot of nature work for magazines like Field and Stream. Do yourself a favor and google it. Really beautiful stuff. 

D9D5379B-DCEC-4253-9D95-A0F0BC961E67.jpeg

I see what you mean, very nice! (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

L.B. Cole "good fish art" cover

tumblr_neugblRJfX1qhal0to8_1280.jpg

Wow... great cover! All it needs is a cool logo like "Startling Fish Stories" or something and then we're fighting each other to pay four figures.