L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
29 29

4,119 posts in this topic

12,509 posts
8 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

I still need 1 or 2 issues from each of the main Star titles. With today’s crazy prices I could never afford to complete them if I needed more.

I sold you a Ghostly Weird 121 and Starting Terror 5 but I don’t think I ever had a Spook 23 undercopy.

I could have sworn the Spook came from you but now that you mention the Startling Terror, I for sure remember that.  I had forgotten about getting the Ghostly from you.  Considering how tough some of the Star issues and your competition, I am amazed at how you have put your collection together.  When you did start this quest?

991 posts
4 hours ago, telerites said:

I could have sworn the Spook came from you but now that you mention the Startling Terror, I for sure remember that.  I had forgotten about getting the Ghostly from you.  Considering how tough some of the Star issues and your competition, I am amazed at how you have put your collection together.  When you did start this quest?

My 1st Cole collection started in 1981. When I saw all the covers in the 81 Overstreet I was hooked. I had all of his Star horror and sci-fi covers in low to mid grade by around 84. I sold them about 5 years later when I got hooked on silver age books.

I started my current high grade collection when the Crippen collection came out in 06. There were 3 or 4 Blue Bolt’s in the 1st auction and I managed to win the 112. I was hooked again and still am 13 years later. I just wish I had gone after his earlier books back then but I decided to limit my collection to just the Star books. 

19,300 posts

I’d been buying Cole books a few years before the 1981 Overstreet guide. Redbeard turned me on to them. When that guide came out poof, there went the prices. I kind of stopped for a few years until the wave had passed and started up again. The current wave has slowed down my progress quit a bit again. Another problem I have always had was I didn’t like the contents as much. Especially on the horror ones. I found I was paying a lot of money basically for a cover. I actually like to look through and read my books.

24,796 posts
12 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

My 1st Cole collection started in 1981. When I saw all the covers in the 81 Overstreet I was hooked. I had all of his Star horror and sci-fi covers in low to mid grade by around 84. I sold them about 5 years later when I got hooked on silver age books.

I was a kid when that 1981 Overstreet came out, and it was the first price guide I ever owned. Cole's horror covers in that color display section scared me so much that I could hardly look at them, yet I was fascinated by them. It was so long ago that I'd completely forgotten about it, but that book obviously made a strong impression. :)

12,509 posts
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Point Five said:

I was a kid when that 1981 Overstreet came out, and it was the first price guide I ever owned. Cole's horror covers in that color display section scared me so much that I could hardly look at them, yet I was fascinated by them. It was so long ago that I'd completely forgotten about it, but that book obviously made a strong impression. :)

You youngster.  My first guide was #4 and I thought they had made a mistake calling the JLA the JSA,  I was 11 years and I begged my mom to buy it for me.  I still have it and haven't missed a year.  Gawd, I am :preach:

Edited by telerites

1,433 posts
1 hour ago, shortboxed said:

Took some of my Cole slabs out for a photo :x

Got more slabs coming in from CGC and a few others not pictured because the box was too far and I got lazy xD

IMG_20190324_095345_825.jpg

Exceptionally Nice! (thumbsu

352 posts
44 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Terrors of the jungle 18

CC486F42-B904-4716-B3F3-48423229C43A.jpeg

I think that's the last one I need for my run, and my favorite besides this, which doesn't get so much love...

TERRORS OF THE JUNGLE #4 SLAB.png

19,300 posts
1 hour ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Terrors of the jungle 18

CC486F42-B904-4716-B3F3-48423229C43A.jpeg

What a beautiful book Pablo. Sure deserves a better photo than one of those cruddy “Instagram dash board” photos. At least put it on the back seat if you just can’t wait to post it..,:baiting:

23,195 posts
On 2/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, october said:

Me too!

s-l1600.jpg

One of the tougher Hitler covers.

32,135 posts
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

One of the tougher Hitler covers.

I'd never seen a copy for sale before. It was an inexplicably cheap Buy It Now on eBay from a few months ago. I think it was $110.

Edited by october

2,540 posts
15 hours ago, october said:

I'd never seen a copy for sale before. It was an inexplicably cheap Buy It Now on eBay from a few months ago. I think it was $110.

doh!