• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Startling Terror Tales 11 is a very hot book looking at the copy from last nights HA auction hm

$1100 a point on 3.5 is pretty hefty. Cole has always been hot but seems like pricing is catching up.  So much so I decided to send a bunch of Coles to Heritage including my highest graded Power 4. Still keeping a bunch but thinning out collection a bit.  Hope the hammer prices go well:wishluck:  

53 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Startling Terror Tales 11 is a very hot book looking at the copy from last nights HA auction hm

Whoa...   that one had a jump at the end!  I'm curious what the very nice looking restored 3.0 on CL does with 2 weeks left to go.  This one has always been popular and hasn't gotten quite to the Mask Comics / Catman 28 level but it's well on it's way.  

1 minute ago, RedGiant said:

$1100 a point on 3.5 is pretty hefty. Cole has always been hot but seems like pricing is catching up.  So much so I decided to send a bunch of Coles to Heritage including my highest graded Power 4. Still keeping a bunch but thinning out collection a bit.  Hope the hammer prices go well:wishluck:  

I think you should hit refresh.  Try $3,840!!!!  The CL book is at $550 at the moment....

6 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

Favorite of this group is probably the 4most.  I'm a surfer so I was thrilled to find a surfing Cole cover- gonna keep my eyes open for a higher grade copy.  

IMG_6197.jpg

It's a cool one, for sure.  And as if there's not enough going on he thought to put butterflies on her suit.  Love the water too!

4 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

It's a cool one, for sure.  And as if there's not enough going on he thought to put butterflies on her suit.  Love the water too!

Yeah the lettering on the water is awesome- and I didn't notice the butterflies.  Love it.

Here's one you don't see every day.  In fact I never knew it existed, and I been a die hard Cole guy from way back.  Cant remember how I even came across it but here it is- Gasoline Alley #2 by Star Pubs.  Issue #1 doesn't have a Cole cover,  third and final issue does, but it's apparently extremely rare.  I did some google and could find only a cover proof in the Heritage Archives, but there's a copy in Overstreet, so apparently someone has one.  Issue #3 is rated a Gerber 10!  #2 issue is an 8.

This copy looks like a very generous 9 to me.  Lots of bottom corner wear, but the back cover is flawless, so maybe not.  Anyway- welcome to the family!  Now to find that #3!

PS- I also like this issue because I'm a big Crumb fan, and I always wonder what kind of comics he was reading when he was a kid learning to draw.  This car looks very much like his style.  If you've never seen the movie Crumb I highly recommend it.  There's a lot of talk about how he and his brothers used to read write and draw comics back in the 50s.

GASOLINE ALLEY #2 SLAB FC.jpg

GASOLINE ALLEY #2 SLAB BC.jpg

2 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

Here's one you don't see every day.  In fact I never knew it existed, and I been a die hard Cole guy from way back.  Cant remember how I even came across it but here it is- Gasoline Alley #2 by Star Pubs.  Issue #1 doesn't have a Cole cover,  third and final issue does, but it's apparently extremely rare.  I did some google and could find only a cover proof in the Heritage Archives, but there's a copy in Overstreet, so apparently someone has one.  Issue #3 is rated a Gerber 10!  #2 issue is an 8.

This copy looks like a very generous 9 to me.  Lots of bottom corner wear, but the back cover is flawless, so maybe not.  Anyway- welcome to the family!  Now to find that #3!

PS- I also like this issue because I'm a big Crumb fan, and I always wonder what kind of comics he was reading when he was a kid learning to draw.  This car looks very much like his style.  If you've never seen the movie Crumb I highly recommend it.  There's a lot of talk about how he and his brothers used to read write and draw comics back in the 50s.

Nice!  Never seen that book before. 

16 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Me too and I definitely see the influence. 
This one isn’t as rare but the colors are classic Cole. 

Yeah and the weird collage-like juxtaposition that defies scale- the hand resting on the cliff.  Great book, still don't have one...

1 hour ago, Black Bat said:

#3 only exists as a cover proof. The title was changed to Top Love Stories after the 2nd issue.