• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

Here's the most famous issue of Contact. I just picked it up in the Heritage Sunday auction a couple of weeks ago and it completes my collection of the 4 great Cole black background covers - Mask 1 and 2, Captain Flight 11 and Contact 12. Those Sunday auctions have such great books in them sometimes.

Contact12.jpg

Here's the most famous issue of Contact. I just picked it up in the Heritage Sunday auction a couple of weeks ago and it completes my collection of the 4 great Cole black background covers - Mask 1 and 2, Captain Flight 11 and Contact 12. Those Sunday auctions have such great books in them sometimes.

Contact12.jpg

I saw that and thought it looked like a very attractive copy of that issue. Congratulations! :applause:

TopLoveStories10.jpg

Who wrote that dialogue? You can hear the violins in the background...

I hear you! That is one nice drawing though. The composition is totally rocking on this cover too!

What's up with the red splatter on the boulder though? :sick: Little touch o horror in there!

Contact12.jpg

I saw that and thought it looked like a very attractive copy of that issue. Congratulations! :applause:
I was going to bid on it too, but didn't :cry:

Contact12.jpg

There are a few other L. B. Cole covers with black backgrounds, such as Blue Bolt #105, 108, Catman #31, Captain Aero #22 etc... Great books!

West

Contact12.jpg

There are a few other L. B. Cole covers with black backgrounds, such as Blue Bolt #105, 108, Catman #31, Captain Aero #22 etc... Great books!

West

I agree. The Catman cover and Blue Bolt are a couple of my favorites.

2072893671_1f7f4e5e70_b.jpg

The black background was a deliberate tactic to get eyes focused on his covers. Evidently black was not used much at that time and he felt that with a black cover it would figuratively punch a hole in the newstand and make the image "pop."