L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
29 29

4,119 posts in this topic

9,054 posts

and the second book is Contact Comics #8. I was able to get both for quite a bit under guide, and I'm thrilled to own them! :D

contact8.jpg

112 posts

Here's the most famous issue of Contact. I just picked it up in the Heritage Sunday auction a couple of weeks ago and it completes my collection of the 4 great Cole black background covers - Mask 1 and 2, Captain Flight 11 and Contact 12. Those Sunday auctions have such great books in them sometimes.

Contact12.jpg

1,557 posts

Two from my defunct sales thread. One dealer took a look at these last year and said, "Horror's dead!" Shocking news to a Cole fan.

I have a couple more LB Coles but these two are my favorites.

4298517428_1335b074b8_b.jpg

4297770367_77039eba71_b.jpg

5,389 posts

Nice books... Bought this one late last year...

terrorsofthejungle17.jpg

112 posts

Has there ever been a poll for the best Cole cover on these boards?

25,115 posts
Here's the most famous issue of Contact. I just picked it up in the Heritage Sunday auction a couple of weeks ago and it completes my collection of the 4 great Cole black background covers - Mask 1 and 2, Captain Flight 11 and Contact 12. Those Sunday auctions have such great books in them sometimes.

Contact12.jpg

I saw that and thought it looked like a very attractive copy of that issue. Congratulations! :applause:

25,115 posts
Has there ever been a poll for the best Cole cover on these boards?
I don't think so.

3,501 posts
TopLoveStories10.jpg

Who wrote that dialogue? You can hear the violins in the background...

I hear you! That is one nice drawing though. The composition is totally rocking on this cover too!

What's up with the red splatter on the boulder though? :sick: Little touch o horror in there!

58,306 posts

Contact12.jpg

I saw that and thought it looked like a very attractive copy of that issue. Congratulations! :applause:
I was going to bid on it too, but didn't :cry:

9,174 posts

Contact12.jpg

There are a few other L. B. Cole covers with black backgrounds, such as Blue Bolt #105, 108, Catman #31, Captain Aero #22 etc... Great books!

West

5,413 posts

Agreed that there are other black covers by Cole, but I like Mask 1 and 2, Contact 12 and Captain Flight together as a set. No cover text besides the title and similar color palette.

8,775 posts

Contact12.jpg

There are a few other L. B. Cole covers with black backgrounds, such as Blue Bolt #105, 108, Catman #31, Captain Aero #22 etc... Great books!

West

I agree. The Catman cover and Blue Bolt are a couple of my favorites.

2072893671_1f7f4e5e70_b.jpg

25,115 posts
The black background was a deliberate tactic to get eyes focused on his covers. Evidently black was not used much at that time and he felt that with a black cover it would figuratively punch a hole in the newstand and make the image "pop."

21,720 posts

Yeah, he did lots of covers with black backgrounds... :cloud9:

stt10.jpg

2,957 posts

Thought i would post a few of my Cole books.

I finally found an affordable copy of Mask 2 last month.

MASK 2

SPOOK SUSP 25

BLUE BOLT 113

TERR TALES 11

TERR TALES 13

TERR JUNGLE 4

TERR JUNGLE 19

My favorite LB Cole romance cover.

FLAM WEST 3

5,562 posts

Don't have a pic to post - but I will agree........ L.B. Cole was one of the elite artist in my book that will always be noted as a master of his craft.

25,115 posts

Nice copies, Mr. Starr! This has been dormant a bit too long.