• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

This is my first purchase from ebay in about 2 years. There are a few gems there every now and then I guess. The Big Apple copy just went for over 3K (I saw the book in San Diego and it was beautiful) which was more than I could afford, then this appeared on ebay, so I felt very lucky. Of course, I could have bought the Mile High copy in San Diego - it was also a 7.5 like the Big apple copy and the asking price was only $12K. Anyway here it is:

CaptainAero26.jpg

very pretty. he did love to to use those little moon-scape volcanoes. great book.

when i got out of my blue bolt run, i saved a few, and this is one of them cuz it's a crippen and i think it's so cool. replete with little volcanoes with peaks in the crater. plus, i found it acceptable to get rid of regular ol' issues, but "great BIG issues" were another thing entirely.

bb106.jpg

when i got out of my blue bolt run, i saved a few, and this is one of them cuz it's a crippen and i think it's so cool. replete with little volcanoes with peaks in the crater. plus, i found it acceptable to get rid of regular ol' issues, but "great BIG issues" were another thing entirely.

bb106.jpg

That's sweet! :thumbsup:

This is my first purchase from ebay in about 2 years. There are a few gems there every now and then I guess. The Big Apple copy just went for over 3K (I saw the book in San Diego and it was beautiful) which was more than I could afford, then this appeared on ebay, so I felt very lucky. Of course, I could have bought the Mile High copy in San Diego - it was also a 7.5 like the Big apple copy and the asking price was only $12K. Anyway here it is:

CaptainAero26.jpg

very pretty. he did love to to use those little moon-scape volcanoes. great book.

Nice score - I see the market has almost caught up with the retarded price I paid for a raw 5.5 nearly 15 years ago.

I haven't seen this one posted. Most people aren't even aware this exists.

Anyone know what this is from?

No prize for the correct answer; just satisfaction. :cloud9:

plus I'll post the whole pic.

Picture31813.jpg

I dunno, but I'll buy it! It's awesome!!!

It doesn't exist. I seem to remember hearing from Jay Disbrow that there was some type of flood that destroyed it all.

Keep in mind that most of the work in Star books was reprinted material. I've never seen a single piece of Star art, original or otherwise.

Did anyone get anything from the Estate Sale? I tried like hell to get a painting or a cover re-creation, but constantly got outbid. :( Seriously, I felt like it was me vs. 1 other person on over a dozen listings. I drove up the price of 1 item from $350 to $700 before I gave up.

I did end up with 2 cover proofs. 1 romance and 1 war cover.

Captain Aero #23:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=373623

Top Love Stories #7:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=373284

Some of the cover proofs went through the roof too. Worth looking at the listings.

Did anyone get anything from the Estate Sale? I tried like hell to get a painting or a cover re-creation, but constantly got outbid. :( Seriously, I felt like it was me vs. 1 other person on over a dozen listings. I drove up the price of 1 item from $350 to $700 before I gave up.

I did end up with 2 cover proofs. 1 romance and 1 war cover.

Captain Aero #23:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=373623

Top Love Stories #7:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=373284

Some of the cover proofs went through the roof too. Worth looking at the listings.

I thought about bidding, but I'm light on funds this month and the prices were already high. The Suspense Comics 8 cover proof went for over a grand. I thought the romance paperback cover painting prices were very strong.

I thought about bidding, but I'm light on funds this month and the prices were already high. The Suspense Comics 8 cover proof went for over a grand. I thought the romance paperback cover painting prices were very strong.

Yeah, I really wanted one of the peacock paintings. I was only $120, then I bit it up to $400 and called it quits. I really hope there is some more of his stuff out there...

Yeah, I really wanted one of the peacock paintings. I was only $120, then I bit it up to $400 and called it quits. I really hope there is some more of his stuff out there...

I wish I'd paid closer attention sooner myself, one of those things I'll probably regret in a few years. But with that amount of material hitting the market, I'm sure we'll see some of it available again.