• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

I thought it was a really solid season.  Much better than most of the Netflix shows, it held up over all the episodes.  Most of these shows i feel like they break out 7 episodes of a season, then look around the room and go... well we got 6 more hours to fill, any ideas fellas?

And...Netflix has just announced it's cancelled Daredevil.

Given how well the show was received I find it hard to believe Disney won't simply wait six more months and launch a new season on its dedicated streaming service, but the announcement this evening was ambiguous. This announcement gives Disney the option to reboot a new series as well.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/daredevil-canceled-netflix-3-seasons-1202511521/

10 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

And...Netflix has just announced it's cancelled Daredevil.

Something surprised me greatly about this season of Daredevil--Netflix didn't stick it in as a recommended watch for me despite the fact that I watched the previous two seasons.  It wasn't anywhere, not even in their new releases section.  I had to search by name to find it, yet they somehow recommended the first season to me before I ever watched anything superhero-related on the network, and they recommended the second season when it came out.  Had I not already known it was coming out I don't see how I would have ever come across it just browsing around on Netflix.

Since it seemed buried in their pile of content and since the Disney service starts before long I've been half-expecting them to pull the plug.  So while I'm surprised, I'm not at all shocked.  I'm not sure we should take this as a falling demand for the show but more of a reflection of the currenty-faltering Netflix/Disney relationship that's about to end entirely.  I was surprised this season even came out...until the announcement of its release I was expecting an announcement that they would be pulling the plug.

Edited by fantastic_four

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not sure we should take this as a falling demand for the show but more of a reflection of the currenty-faltering Netflix/Disney relationship that's about to end entirely.  I was surprised this season even came out...until the announcement of its release I was expecting an announcement that they would be pulling the plug.

Maybe - from what I've read the three show cancellations so far were each for different reasons.

Iron Fist was legit cancelled due to poor ratings and critical reception.

Luke Cage was cancelled due in part to internal disagreement among the writers/show-runners, as ~1/2 the scripts for Season 3 had already been written and the cast was prepping to begin filming.

Daredevil seems the first one where the narrative Disney pulled the plug simply because it (or the characters in some form) will presumably resurface next year on Disney streaming.

Whereas Cage and Iron Fist are *actually* dead.

18 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Daredevil seems the first one where the narrative Disney pulled the plug simply because it (or the characters in some form) will presumably resurface next year on Disney streaming.

That's my hope.  Is there evidence of this yet, has Jeph Loeb said anything yet?

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's my hope.  Is there evidence of this yet, has Jeph Loeb said anything yet?

This makes the most sense.  Finish out with Jessica Jones and Punisher in 2019, move all new content after that to Disney streaming in 2020.  I don't know if they'll all be coming back, but I think Daredevil should be popular enough.  Hopefully not Iron Fist (though I could be convinced about Heroes for Hire)

Here's an article making several disheartening claims:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/daredevil/feature/a871705/mcu-daredevil-cancelled-season-4-netflix-disney/

• The show's executive producer had publicly stated that he already had talks with Netflix about a season 4.  That directly implies that Disney wasn't simply holding the character back for its own service.
  • Disney has stated that its new service will strictly feature only PG content, and that any adult content will be released via Hulu.  Daredevil has R-level violence, so it seems unlikely they would release it on their own service without severely toning it down.

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Here's an article making several disheartening claims:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/daredevil/feature/a871705/mcu-daredevil-cancelled-season-4-netflix-disney/

• The show's executive producer had publicly stated that he already had talks with Netflix about a season 4.  That directly implies that Disney wasn't simply holding the character back for its own service.
  • Disney has stated that its new service will strictly feature only PG content, and that any adult content will be released via Hulu.  Daredevil has R-level violence, so it seems unlikely they would release it on their own service without severely toning it down.

Daredevil on Hulu is still Daredevil. Again, I don't think Disney would nix it at this point - but for perhaps veering away from the Kingpin as Donofrio may be too busy/expensive.

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Daredevil on Hulu is still Daredevil. Again, I don't think Disney would nix it at this point - but for perhaps veering away from the Kingpin as Donofrio may be too busy/expensive.

They might if the ratings sucked.  That article I linked claimed the ratings for season 3 were significantly down, but I don't trust that.  It cites some external company from Netflix that tries to guess what the ratings are for Netflix shows, but I don't have much reason to trust it.  But Netflix knows what the ratings were, and I'm sure they share that with Disney.

It's all speculative until Loeb says something specific.  If a year passes and he's still said nothing, that's a VERY bad sign, so I'm hoping he comments relatively soon.

Edited by fantastic_four

56 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Daredevil on Hulu is still Daredevil.

Also, yea, this is true...but their direct incentive will be to NOT release anything on Hulu.  Disney owns 60% of Hulu, but Comcast owns 30% and AT&T owns 10%.  It's to their direct benefit to promote their own streaming service rather than Hulu, so it seems more likely they'd tone any future version of Daredevil down.

I'm not even sure that's a bad thing...what would you have to cut from the three existing seasons to make them PG?  That scene from season 1 where Kingpin slams that guy's head in the door over and over again jumps to mind, but what else?  There's no sex in the show, and I don't recall any cussing, although I could easily be wrong.  I'm not even sure the show deserves an R rating, it might be PG-13 just as the three seasons already are.

Edited by fantastic_four

News reports this week include that:

1) Daredevil was the 4th-highest rated Netflix show (and in the Top 10 for streaming shows across _any_ platform) and

2) That Disney/Marvel can't use any characters for at least two years post-cancellation (for at least the first four shows released). Translation? No Daredevil appearance on Disney+ until at least 2020, no Jessica Jones until at least 2021.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflixs-marvel-shows-cant-come-back-for-at-least-two-y-1831056170 

57 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

2) That Disney/Marvel can't use any characters for at least two years post-cancellation (for at least the first four shows released). Translation? No Daredevil appearance on Disney+ until at least 2020, no Jessica Jones until at least 2021.

Why, Netflix, would you give fans of the show this chance to hate you like this?  :mad:

However, in effect it probably doesn't matter since there were two-year gaps between the seasons of the show.  We likely wouldn't have gotten another Netflix season until 2020 based upon the release schedule of prior seasons.

I'm currently about halfway through the third / final season...  All I can say is "Wow, this is great".  Easily the best season in the series and the best of all the Marvel-Netflix shows.  I can't understand why they'd cancel a show this good.

I also can't understand how the same studio that produced this could also turn out carp like Iron Fist.  Seems like a massive range in quality...  :P

Edited by Loki

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm currently about halfway through the third / final season...  All I can say is "Wow, this is great".  Easily the best season in the series and the best of all the Marvel-Netflix shows.  I can't understand why they'd cancel a show this good.

I also can't understand how the same studio that produced this could also turn out carp like Iron Fist.  Seems like a massive range in quality...  :P

Cue MCU Phase 4.