• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

Just finished the season. They did an excellent job. Little things here and there but overall top notch. Thought they handled punisher well (Buzzetta makes a good point) and the rest came together. Was about to drop spoilers but didn't want to be THAT guy. Started watching Gotham but can't go back to it, dd ruined me for that show.

Just finished the season. They did an excellent job. Little things here and there but overall top notch. Thought they handled punisher well (Buzzetta makes a good point) and the rest came together. Was about to drop spoilers but didn't want to be THAT guy. Started watching Gotham but can't go back to it, dd ruined me for that show.

Exactly, I've finally given up on Gotham. Not sure what it is that WB/DC are missing, but Gotham just doesn't have that magic. It just lacks that organic development, everything is forced and I really haven't liked any of the origins or visual interpretations of the villains except for Zsasz.

I'm up to Ep 5 of DD Season 2. I was blown away by season 1, thought season 2 started off a little so-so despite the major fireworks, but the last two episodes have been great (loved Hallway Pt. 2, reminded me of The Raid: Redemption). I was a big Punisher fan as a kid (late 80's era), but was lukewarm on this portrayal until the rooftop conversation with DD, that was some nice back-and-forth. Really brought back the "don't give a damn" attitude that made him a great foil for nicer guys like DD and Spidey.

Once I finish DD, I'll check out Flash and Arrow, about which I've heard good things. Maybe those are better DC properties than Gotham.

Not sure what it is that WB/DC are missing, but Gotham just doesn't have that magic.

Once I finish DD, I'll check out Flash and Arrow, about which I've heard good things. Maybe those are better DC properties than Gotham.

You are missing so much by passing up on Supergirl and The Flash. Add to this Arrow Season 1-3 (I have been holding off on 4 to watch it all later), and Legends of Tomorrow. Then you have Lucifer and iZombie, which though oddball shows are also well done.

If only DC/Warner got it.

:baiting:

Not sure what it is that WB/DC are missing, but Gotham just doesn't have that magic.

You are missing so much by passing up on Supergirl and The Flash. Add to this Arrow Season 1-3 (I have been holding off on 4 to watch it all later), and Legends of Tomorrow. Then you have Lucifer and iZombie, which though oddball shows are also well done.

If only DC/Warner got it.

:baiting:

I've heard they are good shows but can't get myself to watch. DC gets animation right imo. But there shows don't appeal to me.

I've heard they are good shows but can't get myself to watch. DC gets animation right imo. But there shows don't appeal to me.

And that's okay. It's may not be your taste.

Being a long-time Daredevil fan, I loved both seasons of the Netflix show.

Sure, they changed the backstories of Punisher and Elektra. But they also kept the aspects of what makes them stand out as characters too. Though with Elektra, at one point there were hints of her being raped by her father leading to her personality and outlook on life that I could do without.

With a few of the DC shows, they are more on the positive side with influences of life events that impacted friends and family members. So you still get that dark side of the characters, but with a nice positive tone to them.

At least Flash and Supergirl, give those a try when you can.

I liked Daredevil but here is my problem.

I want to go on record that I very much enjoyed Jon Bernthal's portrayal of Frank Castle and that he made an excellent punisher. My problem is with the writing.

My biggest complaint with the Punisher was that they removed part of his accountability for his actions by stating that his brain changed after being shot in the head. The Punisher is really about consciously pursuing that life after having one bad day. The one bad day aspect allowed the suggestion that any of us could go down that path after having that "one bad day" But by removing the accountability, it casts too much of a sympathetic light on Frank and distracts the watcher from assessing the Punisher and the relationship to themselves in terms of if they are capable of going down that path. But again... that was the writing and not Bernthal’s portrayal. I look forward to seeing more of him in the role.

I saw that part, but it felt much more like a defense strategy and theory rather than what Frank was actually going through.

After the first few episodes the Punisher was far more dark and less sympathetic than any incarnation that came before. I was having a hard time seeing how they could possibly give him his own series with how those first few episodes played out. There was a -ton of accountability at the beginning for him. lol

It evened out later on, but I never bought the "changed brain" theory. Even if that theory proves true, Castle was very aware of his actions and legally right and wrong and acted anyway. So he's never really released from regular folks holding him accountable.

I liked Daredevil but here is my problem.

I want to go on record that I very much enjoyed Jon Bernthal's portrayal of Frank Castle and that he made an excellent punisher. My problem is with the writing.

My biggest complaint with the Punisher was that they removed part of his accountability for his actions by stating that his brain changed after being shot in the head. The Punisher is really about consciously pursuing that life after having one bad day. The one bad day aspect allowed the suggestion that any of us could go down that path after having that "one bad day" But by removing the accountability, it casts too much of a sympathetic light on Frank and distracts the watcher from assessing the Punisher and the relationship to themselves in terms of if they are capable of going down that path. But again... that was the writing and not Bernthal’s portrayal. I look forward to seeing more of him in the role.

I saw that part, but it felt much more like a defense strategy and theory rather than what Frank was actually going through.

After the first few episodes the Punisher was far more dark and less sympathetic than any incarnation that came before. I was having a hard time seeing how they could possibly give him his own series with how those first few episodes played out. There was a -ton of accountability at the beginning for him. lol

It evened out later on, but I never bought the "changed brain" theory. Even if that theory proves true, Castle was very aware of his actions and legally right and wrong and acted anyway. So he's never really released from regular folks holding him accountable.

It took me out of the character. On the way to SM/BM:DoJ I mentioned it to my friend as he watched the whole thing as well... long pause... and he said, that I ruined Bernthal's Punisher for him. Hopefully I did not do that with that this post for anyone around here.

Finished season 2 last night, outstanding show and the best thing Marvel has ever produced.

My only gripe is the fight scenes need tightening up, choreography is brilliant but some edits clearly show the guys foot is about 2 feet away. But that's my only nitpick on an otherwise 10/10 show.

I feel like if the Hong Kong wizards couldn't make fights between a single fighter vs multiple opponents work then there's no hope for it ever working -- however, close-quarters is different. That's believable. The rooftop finale just didn't work but the hallway & stairwell & prison row fights were convincing.

I feel like if the Hong Kong wizards couldn't make fights between a single fighter vs multiple opponents work then there's no hope for it ever working -- however, close-quarters is different. That's believable. The rooftop finale just didn't work but the hallway & stairwell & prison row fights were convincing.

Have you seen The Raid: Redemtion? There's some amazing fight scenes in that. Greatest action movie to come out in a long time !!

Have you seen The Raid: Redemtion? There's some amazing fight scenes in that. Greatest action movie to come out in a long time !!

Raid I and II are the standard by which I hold all modern martial arts movies to. I know it CAN be done, so I EXPECT it to be done. Wick, well done. DD season 2, I'm looking at you...

Another example of how little you have to do to be an "executive producer"--Kevin Smith and his producer friend Scott Mosier were both listed as executive producers on "Good Will Hunting," and he's said in his podcast that the only reason for that is because Matt Damon asked him about directing the film because he was friends with Ben Affleck, but Smith turned it down, gave him suggestions for finding what he considered to be better directors, and gave him some other suggestions for the film. One conversation made them both "executive producers."

Well he did more than that. Kevin Smith took the -script to Harvey Weinstein personally, who ended up buying it from Castlerock, who were about to dump both Damon and Affleck, because they had bought the -script from them outright and technically didn't need them anymore and they were having creative issues regarding who would direct and star in it.

Smith saw it, loved it, had pull with Harvey and used it to get that movie made in the form we saw it.

I enjoyed both seasons but the 2nd was much better. Can't wait to see what they bring to the show next year.

Defenders is announced for 2016 but I suspect it will be pushed to 2017 since Iron Fist is set for Nov 2016.