• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collections Keys vs. Sets

27 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm curious to see what most of you collect.? Do you guys collect key issues or do you collect full sets of comics? Perhaps both? I collect both. I do however have a lot of friends who just collect single CGC graded books. There collections consist graded key and first appearance issues and rare variants.

For the most part, I collect keys...according to my definition (1st appearances, origins, 1st issues, last issues, 1st artwork, etc). I also collect some small series like Secret Wars, Crisis, etc. And, I collect price variants. The only series I am trying to collect is X-Men (Uncanny). Right now working on 100-300. Then will go back to 1-99. And, finally, any comic I think has a really cool cover.

I used to collect full runs. When I started to get bored with it, I moved to collecting keys. But that didn't last long, as it turned out I was kinda burning out on comics. Now I've pretty much dropped them and am much more focused on OA.

WTTB!! :hi:

For the most part, I collect keys...according to my definition (1st appearances, origins, 1st issues, last issues, 1st artwork, etc). I also collect some small series like Secret Wars, Crisis, etc. And, I collect price variants. The only series I am trying to collect is X-Men (Uncanny). Right now working on 100-300. Then will go back to 1-99. And, finally, any comic I think has a really cool cover.

:o I wanna see your collection soooo bad...

I used to collect full runs. When I started to get bored with it, I moved to collecting keys. But that didn't last long, as it turned out I was kinda burning out on comics. Now I've pretty much dropped them and am much more focused on OA.

I know this will probably be a very stupid question, but what is OA and WTTB?

im a rather new collector, I only have a few graded books. as far as my regular collection goes, I like to read, whole series, I can't stand to wait for the next issue, so I mostly buy complete sets that have been cancelled, but that doesn't always work out so good.

Like the Avengers Academy, I bought them all, read them and they were to be continued into something else. doh!

im a rather new collector, I only have a few graded books. as far as my regular collection goes, I like to read, whole series, I can't stand to wait for the next issue, so I mostly buy complete sets that have been cancelled, but that doesn't always work out so good.

Like the Avengers Academy, I bought them all, read them and they were to be continued into something else. doh!

lol

WTTB = Welcome To The Boards :)

OA = Original Art

I'm pretty similar. Mostly keys but also a few limited runs (Conan 1-24, Iron Fist & Xmen 94 - 141)

As one of your first posts that is an excellent question. I really only strive to maintain a full run of ASM. After that I go for keys or Golden Age books that are meaningful or just 'cool' to have.

Never runs. I obtain books I think I can make a financial gain on over time. Be them keys or possible future keys that ain't there yet.

I am an evil speculator.

I never buy moderns off the shelf. But I would if a really cool cover came along. I love covers over story lines. Because everything gets slabbed anyway.

One thing that keeps me from buying a lot more than I used to. Is that I am sooo influenced by the CGC grading system now. I can't seem to just buy a nice book. It has to be at the top or near the top of the grading scale.

Sad really. Because what does a 9.8 have over an 8.5 really? Not much.

As one of your first posts that is an excellent question. I really only strive to maintain a full run of ASM. After that I go for keys or Golden Age books that are meaningful or just 'cool' to have.

Go read his others. We have ourselves a doosie.