• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage February

440 posts in this topic

What about the Mutants poster by Arthur Adams which was also used in the cover of Marvel Age annual #4? I think that it's one of his prime works...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7087&lotIdNo=81010#1087410874074

Very cool piece. I just checked my records - it was on sale at the SDCC in 2012 and I remember it being very nice in person.

How do you even begin to put a price tag on an Action #15 cover? :o Every big collector/dealer will be all over that piece. Has it changed hands before?

Action #15 :whatthe:

It's a wonderful, historic piece of the hobby, but I am skeptical that every big collector/dealer will be all over it, as they would, say, if a historic Ditko ASM cover were to show up on the auction block. I suspect that most BSDs will be content to admire the cover from afar along with everyone else; if they are going to spend 6 figures (or multiples thereof) on a piece, it's generally going to be on something that falls in their collecting and nostalgic wheelhouse, which is generally the prime Silver, Bronze and Copper Age material. If you look on CAF, you'd be surprised at how few views some of the best GA pieces get - since rarity matters less in OA than in comics, most OA collectors have tended to gravitate towards the better quality art, storytelling, characters and greater nostalgia of the '60s-'80s. 2c

That said, there are a few BSDs who focus on the older material, plus something like this might get 1 or 2 GA comic collector BSDs involved, so it should still be worth breaking out the :popcorn: to watch.

i agree here, i remember watching the ASM #12 Splash and expecting a huge bidding war and price realized.....it ended respectably but about half the price and fireworks that I anticipated......this one could be the same

What about the Mutants poster by Arthur Adams which was also used in the cover of Marvel Age annual #4? I think that it's one of his prime works...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7087&lotIdNo=81010#1087410874074

Yes it is one of the seminal images from the Copper Age, these days that means it should go Bomb-bomb-time-bomb-tick-smiley-emoticon-000656-medium.gif

How do you even begin to put a price tag on an Action #15 cover? :o Every big collector/dealer will be all over that piece. Has it changed hands before?

It's a wonderful, historic piece of the hobby, but I am skeptical that every big collector/dealer will be all over it, as they would, say, if a historic Ditko ASM cover were to show up on the auction block. I suspect that most BSDs will be content to admire the cover from afar along with everyone else; if they are going to spend 6 figures (or multiples thereof) on a piece, it's generally going to be on something that falls in their collecting and nostalgic wheelhouse, which is generally the prime Silver, Bronze and Copper Age material. If you look on CAF, you'd be surprised at how few views some of the best GA pieces get - since rarity matters less in OA than in comics, most OA collectors have tended to gravitate towards the better quality art, storytelling, characters and greater nostalgia of the '60s-'80s. 2c

That said, there are a few BSDs who focus on the older material, plus something like this might get 1 or 2 GA comic collector BSDs involved, so it should still be worth breaking out the :popcorn: to watch.

Wouldn't the OA cover to Action Comics #15 be the earliest known surviving superhero cover in comics? Age may not matter 99% of the time, but I think it plays a major importance with this piece. It may also be the oldest surviving piece of Superman original art too.

Wouldn't the OA cover to Action Comics #15 be the earliest known surviving superhero cover in comics? Age may not matter 99% of the time, but I think it plays a major importance with this piece. It may also be the oldest surviving piece of Superman original art too.

I saved this scan of Action Comics #1 from years ago. Can't remember where I found it or if it is the original.

act1art.jpg

Agree, I think nostalgia goes out the window as a factor with something of this significance. Look at the prices cgc copies of action #1 go for.

I saved this scan of Action Comics #1 from years ago. Can't remember where I found it or if it is the original.

act1art.jpg

yeah that's totally legit :insane: