• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a little OT: star wars figure/vehicle art?

71 posts in this topic

Seems like some of these companies are getting behind these books as a way to celebrate and promote their product. First transformers, now gi joe, a sega genesis one is due out around.. June? having hit like 4x its goal on kickstarter, etc. I wonder what other such books we'll see.

if anyone has seen any other sales of action figure art the last few years, please chime in! :)

I know there were a couple of masters of the universe pieces that sold 3-4 years ago (actually I think Felix told us about that one at the time).

There have been a couple of sales of MOTU art over the past few years. Mattel offered up the original art for the Battle Cat and Battle Armor He-Man two-pack art and the Battle Bones art through their Dream Hallowe'en auction in 2009 (IIRC) and i was the underbidder on both. I wish i could have went higher but alas, it was not to be. I think the former went for about $4500 and the latter around $4k.

They sold other examples in previous Dream Hallowe'en auctions as well but i can't recall which pieces or the prices.

Jordan from Toy Hunter/Hollywood Heroes has also sold and brokered several pieces of MOTU art over the years.

As for other toy lines, there's lots of stuff out there. I have (and had) a nice collection of GI Joe packaging and preproduction art and own two of the seven known pre-1990 pieces of figure packaging art that's outside of Hasbro's archives. I have a standing offer of $15k on each of them that i'm not entertaining. ;)

I know of several great examples of Transformers out in private collections, some killer MASK art and bits and bobs from lots of other random toy lines. Some of the most significant being Ken Kelly's Micronauts aliens art.

Wow, I think I did post about the MOTU auction! Dan has a much better memory than I do!

I know the guy with the Ken Kelly Micronaut paintings. That was a favorite line of mine, and I was actively involved in that hobby for many years in the '90s. There are actually lots of OA guys who are into Micros, including mega-collector Jonathan Ross (who has a near complete collection of American Micros as well as their Japanese predecessor, Microman). Not surprising given that so much of our collecting is centered around nostalgia. Anyhow, those paintings are amazing, some of the nicest toy packaging art I've seen. You can check them out on CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=12102

You only took an interest once you learned Boris did some Star Wars art!

:lol: that's the best callback of the day

mehh consider the source - he owns one too ;)

Good line though!

I know the guy with the Ken Kelly Micronaut paintings. That was a favorite line of mine, and I was actively involved in that hobby for many years in the '90s. There are actually lots of OA guys who are into Micros, including mega-collector Jonathan Ross (who has a near complete collection of American Micros as well as their Japanese predecessor, Microman). Not surprising given that so much of our collecting is centered around nostalgia. Anyhow, those paintings are amazing, some of the nicest toy packaging art I've seen. You can check them out on CAF:

thanks for the link! those are great :)

One of the artists I rep had a Sectaurs painting.

I just contacted his family to see if it is available.

In the 38 years I've been selling art, I can count on 2 hands how many toy box originals I've sold.

MI

that was quick! :)

Oh and Sectaurs rock!

-Why is it so damn cool?!:

Every kid in America waited patiently for nearly a year after the release of the first Star Wars film for the toys to be made available. And when they came out, it was about the biggest deal, like, EVER! Kids drooled over the backs of the packages to see what toys they would buy next. Additionally, the first lightsabers released featured what was called a double telescoping (DT) feature which was scrapped shortly after their initial release for a more cost effective and sturdy replacement. The lightsaber artwork was also changed on the card making this depiction of the original, legendary DT saber painting incredibly iconic. "

I badgered my parents into buying me the Early Bird Certificate back in 1978. Waiting for the figures to arrive was tortuous. Still have the Luke, Chewie, and R2D2 somewhere, along with the display stand (Leia got decapitated in the early '80s).

Good stuff, enjoying this thread!

Those drop my jaw every time i see them.

I don't actively collect Micronauts but i've had a lot of them pass through my hands over the years. I have a complete set of the alien figures, which i love, and a couple of years ago i managed to land some dead mint, loose examples of the second series alien vehicles - Ampzilla, Sharkos and Lobstros. One of the rare times i've sold on eBay and they did incredibly well, likely because of the inclusion of US instruction sheets. Such a great and innovative toy line.

I'm pretty sure my buddy Dave still has the Star Wars paintings he did, although he might not know where in his studio they went. Remember that most of that stuff was done by normal illustrators that most folks don't know of. And since the art wasn't signed or credited...you wouldn't know who did what unless the artist wanted you to know. I do like making fun of him for doing a painting of the dumbest Star Wars vehicle EVER.

Friggin' Ewok Battle Wagon.

I happened across this site. I don't know how this guy got pics of everything, but its pretty badspoon.

http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/teletran.asp?coat=decepticon&year=1984 (change the year and decepticon/autobot to view rest).

I'm not sure where that guy got the images from but i suspect they're mostly all photoshopped off the boxes. Several people i know own those originals and i'm pretty sure they haven't provided scans to anyone.

Uh...yeah. That piece is killer. Is this stuff out there or in the Hasbro archives?

The Transformers stuff is out there. I'm not sure if it was because of the licensing from Takara or how much of the art was originally done in Japan, etc but there is a great deal of G1 TF art floating around.

GI Joe, on the other hand, is all mostly still with Hasbro. Well, pre-1990 stuff anyway. There's a greater amount of post-1990 out there but it's not as desirable because the characters are pretty lame and the art doesn't feature the explosion backgrounds.

Like i said earlier, there are only approx 7 known pieces of pre-1990 figure art outside their archives and one piece of pre-1990 vehicle art, which is the Wolverine piece i referenced earlier. There is some European vehicle packaging art out there, one of which you can see in my CAF gallery:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1020862

And framed up here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1020864

I happened across this site. I don't know how this guy got pics of everything, but its pretty badspoon.

http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/teletran.asp?coat=decepticon&year=1984 (change the year and decepticon/autobot to view rest).

I'm not sure where that guy got the images from but i suspect they're mostly all photoshopped off the boxes. Several people i know own those originals and i'm pretty sure they haven't provided scans to anyone.

aha, of course. I was thinking some of the images looked a little grainy and not as sharp as some of the pics of originals I've seen