• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC v. PGX?

243 posts in this topic

I hope I don't get banned for asking this on a CGC owned site, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on CGC v. PGX grading services.

Aside from PGX's really ghetto-looking logo, is it genuinely inferior to CGC? It seems like there is a huge difference in price and turn-around for these grading services.

PGX has been linked to a lot of scandals where, for example, a 5.0 CGC graded book ends up in a 7.0 PGX holder.

Their restoration detection is sub-par as well.

Basically, the reason there's a difference in price and turnaround is because PGX sucks.

It is the difference between asking a museum about fine art, and then asking a 5th grader.

Seriously, if you look up CGCs address, you see a business. You look up PGX and you see a house on a cul-de-sac.

Once you see this alone, the scandals they are involved in become even easier to believe.

-slym

read this to discover and formulate your own answer:

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

This article seems more of an indictment of Terrance Leder, whoever that is, than PGX. Plus the info in it is nearly ten years old. Yes PGX had some bumps early on but then again so did CGC. The only other "scandal" I can think of regarding PGX is that obviously fake video on YouTube from a while back where some tool box pretended to get back a third printing TMNT 1 from PGX, after he supposedly sent in a first print to get graded, That guy posted on these boards for a hot minute and there was extreme skepticism from many long time posters on here as to his claims.

Disclosure: I have exactly one book graded by PGX, I am by no means a collector of their books, but I do believe they have gotten their act together significantly from their early days, and I think a little competition in comic book grading is good for the industry. Monopolies never seem to work out too well after all.

-J.

read this to discover and formulate your own answer:

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

This article seems more of an indictment of Terrance Leder, whoever that is, than PGX. Plus the info in it is nearly ten years old. Yes PGX had some bumps early on but then again so did CGC. The only other "scandal" I can think of regarding PGX is that obviously fake video on YouTube from a while back where some tool box pretended to get back a third printing TMNT 1 from PGX, after he supposedly sent in a first print to get graded, That guy posted on these boards for a hot minute and there was extreme skepticism from many long time posters on here as to his claims.

Disclosure: I have exactly one book graded by PGX, I am by no means a collector of their books, but I do believe they have gotten their act together significantly from their early days, and I think a little competition in comic book grading is good for the industry. Monopolies never seem to work out too well after all.

-J.

Complete & utter nonsense.

Ryan Elliott, supposedly the PGX "head grader", sells books he himself has graded, slabbed & witnessed on eBay under the DJBrady4U account. There have been numerous recent cases where he's been seen to have bought both lower grade and/or restored CGC books, cracked them out, and then slabbed them in a PGX holder with no mention of the resto & with a higher grade to boot.

Complete & utter nonsense.

Ryan Elliott, supposedly the PGX "head grader", sells books he himself has graded, slabbed & witnessed on eBay under the DJBrady4U account. There have been numerous recent cases where he's been seen to have bought both lower grade and/or restored CGC books, cracked them out, and then slabbed them in a PGX holder with no mention of the resto & with a higher grade to boot.

+1

And that should be the end of it.

, but I do believe they have gotten their act together significantly from their early days.

facepalm3.jpg

These intermittent negative anecdotes could just as easily be propaganda floated by CGC. And you don't think any CGC employee has never sold their own graded books? Come on. lol but I don't expect any different kind of reaction on a CGC board lol. Of course a little objectivity in life is never a bad thing either.

-J.

pgx graded X-men 8

maybe its just me but I don't see this as getting anything other than a 7.5-8.0"if that with a PLOD label fromCGC. its books like this that scare me off pgx

PGX does seem more "lenient" on their grades, but again, there are many collectors who think CGC grades too tightly, and veer too far from the traditional Overstreet guidelines that were around 30 years before CGC. CGC has gone on record specifically saying they don't follow Overstreet. They basically developed their own guidelines. If anything, PGX probably grades closer to Overstreet standards.

-J.

pgx graded X-men 8

maybe its just me but I don't see this as getting anything other than a 7.5-8.0"if that with a PLOD label fromCGC. its books like this that scare me off pgx

PGX does seem more "lenient" on their grades, but again, there are many collectors who think CGC grades too tightly, and veer too far from the traditional Overstreet guidelines that were around 30 years before CGC. CGC has gone on record specifically saying they don't follow Overstreet. They basically developed their own guidelines. If anything, PGX probably grades closer to Overstreet standards.

-J.

Did you even look at that website summarizing all the lies and scams? doh!

Feel free to send your books to PGX but don't come on here saying they do anything to Overstreet standards or any other standards in this hobby. From what i've seen on these boards and off, PGX is not a legitimate company that can be trusted with my comics.

Even with CGC's issues, I trust that if I send my books to them it won't get swapped out, or who knows what. :tonofbricks:

pgx graded X-men 8

-J.

Did you even look at that website summarizing all the lies and scams? doh!

Feel free to send your books to PGX but don't come on here saying they do anything to Overstreet standards or any other standards in this hobby. From what i've seen on these boards and off, PGX is not a legitimate company that can be trusted with my comics.

Even with CGC's issues, I trust that if I send my books to them it won't get swapped out, or who knows what. :tonofbricks:

Yes I did read the website and the most recent info was from nearly 10 years ago, and seemed more of an indictment of one of PGX's old customers more than anything else.

Look I'm not saying anyone should send their books to PGX to get graded, I am more offering counter point. Obviously this is not the site to do that lol. But by the way, PGX really tightened up their grading from around 2006-2008 so if you find any keys graded by them from that time period there's a good chance you can crack and resub to CGC for a higher grade done by a more "reputable" company. (thumbs u

-J.