• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault)

38 posts in this topic

This then raises the following conundrum. Is the latest effort a continuation of 220 years of searching for treasure in vain, since treasure was found but not reported. hm

Which would be particularly tragic given the lives lost over the years.

For a few weeks I have been wondering if there is any treasure to be found on Oak Island. What if the lights on the island, that were spotted by the youths back in 1795, meant that the treasure was being dug up instead of buried.

The latest episode has descendants of the McGinnis family (the 3 youths from 1795) show up for a visit. They mentioned that 3 boxes of treasure were found and split by the 3 youths back in 1795. They had an artifact to lend credence to their story. This then raises the following conundrum. Is the latest effort a continuation of 220 years of searching for treasure in vain, since treasure was found but not reported. hm

If that is so, then it has to be the most crude joke on all generations of treasure hunters on Oak Island since 1795. The 3 youths kept silence, then their descendants did the same and ...laughed throughout the years at the hunters trying to dug up in vain! They got balls, I'll tell you.

But I think there is more than one treasure buried in the island. That legend had fantastied me for years since a kid.

For a few weeks I have been wondering if there is any treasure to be found on Oak Island. What if the lights on the island, that were spotted by the youths back in 1795, meant that the treasure was being dug up instead of buried.

The latest episode has descendants of the McGinnis family (the 3 youths from 1795) show up for a visit. They mentioned that 3 boxes of treasure were found and split by the 3 youths back in 1795. They had an artifact to lend credence to their story. This then raises the following conundrum. Is the latest effort a continuation of 220 years of searching for treasure in vain, since treasure was found but not reported. hm

If that is so, then it has to be the most crude joke on all generations of treasure hunters on Oak Island since 1795. The 3 youths kept silence, then their descendants did the same and ...laughed throughout the years at the hunters trying to dug up in vain! They got balls, I'll tell you.

But I think there is more than one treasure buried in the island. That legend had fantastied me for years since a kid.

It would be a cruel joke in this day & age but think of the mindset from 1795. These kids & their families wouldn't dare tell of the treasure they found for fear that it would be taken from them, not to mention their lives would be taken in the process (the dead tell no tales). It was all about survival. The kids (& their families) had to muster up this tale in case the people whom buried/left the "treasure" were still around &/or someone saw the kids rummaging around on the island...They tell the story like- "welp, someone must have already gotten to it cause we found nothing; maybe it's still there and we just didn't look good enough?"... Also, the definition of treasure to them very well may carry no resemblance of what we today think of as treasure (their "treasure" could be a banana peel they use as toilet paper" as I'm sure the soft texture was a welcome luxury in comparison to the roughness of leaves &/or the indignity of their hands lol). :)

Maybe it was a blue flame the very same mentioned in the Dracula novel by Stoker, the only difference was Dracula marked it by a rock so that he could go back. Dracula was no dozer (unless it was daytime) even then. As for the show I gave up when they found a Roman sword? Then again John Wayne could have brought it from the set of The Greatest story ever told, yes he was an investor too.

I visited Oak Island last year, and got to meet a few of the guys from the show - Charles Barkhouse, Jack Begley, Dan Blankenship.

The show can be a bit much at times, but isn't that the nature of reality television?

As for the Roman sword, the show debunked it pretty quick as a Victorian replica.

Whether there's treasure or not, Oak Island is a genuine mystery. If it takes a cheesy tv show to help bankroll the project to solve it, I'm ok with that.

Been interested in the story since I first read about it as a youngster. I suspect that any treasure is long gone, but it certainly is a good tale about the treasure hunter mindset.

The current teevee show is ridiculously slow paced, they're trying to make a LOT of cabbage soup out of a single cabbage leaf every episode. It would be a lot more entertaining if they edited every hour long show to a half hour.

Been interested in the story since I first read about it as a youngster. I suspect that any treasure is long gone, but it certainly is a good tale about the treasure hunter mindset.

The current teevee show is ridiculously slow paced, they're trying to make a LOT of cabbage soup out of a single cabbage leaf every episode. It would be a lot more entertaining if they edited every hour long show to a half hour.

Treasure is probably long gone but they have had a slew of experts airing their favorite theory of who else might have buried treasure on the island. The possibilities for treasure include the Knights Templar, Vikings, Pirates, Columbus, and the Aztecs. Given the tunnels dug from the oceans edge to points underground, that were used to flood the holes dug by treasure seekers, I find it hard to imagine that pirates had that kind of expertise and time to spend booby-trapping the treasure. I thought it was at least more likely that the Aztecs could have dug these tunnels, and had the expertise to do so. On a related note the Aztec treasure of Montezuma,dating from 1520 has never been found, so there is at least a possibility of that treasure being hidden some where.

Montezuma's missing treasure

From the above link

The only thing that is certain about Montezuma’s treasure is that it has not been found till today. Numerous theories have been put forward to suggest the location of its final resting place. For instance, the most popular theory is that the precious objects remain where they were dropped, i.e. at the bottom of Lake Texcoco. Numerous treasure hunters have searched the lake, however, but to no avail. It seems that one former president of Mexico even had the lake dredged, but as one may guess, nothing was found. Another theory claims that the treasure was retrieved by the Spaniards when they returned to Tenochtitlan, but the ship that was carrying the treasure back to Spain was sunk in a storm. Perhaps one of the most intriguing theories is that the treasure travelled north, and eventually ended up in Utah. Perhaps Montezuma’s Treasure will remain lost for many more years to come, safely hidden away from the greed of mankind.

There is no way the treasure is gone. No one has ever reached the bottom of the Oak Island pit. Not even close.

I live about an hour away from Oak Island and know some people who have worked on the show. I suspect that the only thing buried there is missing film production equipment.

There is no way the treasure is gone. No one has ever reached the bottom of the Oak Island pit. Not even close.

Did you watch this season's last episode? Rick and Marty had one of the worlds foremost scuba divers go down and investigate the "Money Pit". After a few tense moments as his air line became stuck on the pipe lodged near the bottom, the diver was able to reach the bottom. He then felt his way around the circumference of the bottom of the pit searching for a chest and the two pillars reported to be stuck on the bottom. He reported that the bottom all felt natural, but there was water movement, suggesting that one of the tunnels to the sea was connected to the bottom of the "Money Pit".

Of course this is still not conclusive proof due to poor visibility. Rick mentioned he would still like to drain all of the water out of "Money Pit", and find out once and for all what if anything is down there.

Did you watch this season's last episode? Rick and Marty had one of the worlds foremost scuba divers go down and investigate the "Money Pit". After a few tense moments as his air line became stuck on the pipe lodged near the bottom, the diver was able to reach the bottom. He then felt his way around the circumference of the bottom of the pit searching for a chest and the two pillars reported to be stuck on the bottom. He reported that the bottom all felt natural, but there was water movement, suggesting that one of the tunnels to the sea was connected to the bottom of the "Money Pit".

Of course this is still not conclusive proof due to poor visibility. Rick mentioned he would still like to drain all of the water out of "Money Pit", and find out once and for all what if anything is down there.

think you need to rewatch, that was 10x they went to the bottom of, they're not quite sure where the money pit is. they think they have a really good idea where it is though. iirc they never said one of the tunnels from 10x leads to the money pit, just that is the overall thought process when they were digging 10x but are unsure if that's true

think you need to rewatch, that was 10x they went to the bottom of, they're not quite sure where the money pit is. they think they have a really good idea where it is though. iirc they never said one of the tunnels from 10x leads to the money pit, just that is the overall thought process when they were digging 10x but are unsure if that's true

my bad. :makepoint: