• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Every time someone mentions GOTG as the new watermark for greatness I feel like I'm in a parallel Universe.

Is it an apocalyptic wasteland, or are you playing chess with Einstein and Station?

I'm watching Battlefield Earth in this parallel Uni and everyone is gushing about how great it is.

$60MM weekend. you can kiss $200MM domestic goodbye.

Strengthens my bets with Jsilverjanet that most non-Batman/Superman DC movies won`t break box office records. :devil:

But I digress, and will save it for another thread.

I believe the first movie up in that bet is Suicide Squad. I feel very confident.

of all the trailers I saw, Suicide Squad was least impressive. Personally don't like where they appear to be going, especially with Harley.

The Wasp looks like she will be a kick character. DC ruined WW for me so until Ms Marvel comes up, I'll hope Wasp can live up to the hype.

Batman vs superman looks great, but then I see Gal Gadot and it's a serious let down.

Saw the FF trailer at Ant-Man and boy did that look horrible. We need to boycott Sony's mediocrity just because we like the characters. Let Sony lose a couple (hundreds of) millions then they'll stop putting out this garbage and the rights will go back to Marvel where they belong. THEN and ONLY THEN will we fans get the FF and Spidey movies we're desperate to see. What Sony did and is doing again to FF is criminal.

$60MM weekend. you can kiss $200MM domestic goodbye.

Strengthens my bets with Jsilverjanet that most non-Batman/Superman DC movies won`t break box office records. :devil:

But I digress, and will save it for another thread.

I believe the first movie up in that bet is Suicide Squad. I feel very confident.

of all the trailers I saw, Suicide Squad was least impressive. Personally don't like where they appear to be going, especially with Harley.

The Wasp looks like she will be a kick character. DC ruined WW for me so until Ms Marvel comes up, I'll hope Wasp can live up to the hype.

Batman vs superman looks great, but then I see Gal Gadot and it's a serious let down.

Saw the FF trailer at Ant-Man and boy did that look horrible. We need to boycott Sony's mediocrity just because we like the characters. Let Sony lose a couple (hundreds of) millions then they'll stop putting out this garbage and the rights will go back to Marvel where they belong. THEN and ONLY THEN will we fans get the FF and Spidey movies we're desperate to see. What Sony did and is doing again to FF is criminal.

Fox, not Sony, is doing the FF movie. But yeah I agree.

Sharon

can you elaborate on what she's missing from your perspective?

You mean Wonder Woman? My collection starts with her first appearance and only goes through the Bronze age books...so I'm more familiar with the Amazon who wore red white and blue. I'm sure this one is ffine, but she looks like she's from the modern comics, so it just doesn't jib with what I envision her looking like.

Her outfit does not look particularly patriotic and she's dark...not her skin tone, her aura.

Maybe that goes with some of the newer books I've never read, but except for her mod period, the bright red white and blue were always in the forefront.

I really enjoyed Linda Carter.

I do love Afleck's look...I saw a zillion complaints about him, I think he looks fantastic.

I concur with your assessment of the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman.

It seems they are trying to appease the PC crowd with turning her into a Xena warrior.

From what I read about William Marston the creator of Wonder Woman is that he wanted her feminine and not masculine. So this will not be his Wonder Woman version it seems.

Gal Gadot looks like a ordinary warrior women, and doesn't standout like Lynda Carter did.

I much prefer the Lynda Carter version than Gal Gadot version.

tumblr_mdcvliwNHp1qa70eyo1_500.jpg

I took my wife and son (my daughter wanted to stay home) to see Ant-Man yesterday and we all thought it was great! Just a good, well scripted, fun movie. I see Ant-Man having a good future coming. All the nay-sayers need to watch it, I think they may change their opinions......

Marston was an interesting guy. He was a Harvard educated psychologist who was in school at the time of the women's suffrage movement and he also invented the lie detector test.

He was a feminist way before that was a popular description.

He lived with two women, his wife (who worked as a lawyer way before that was ordinary for a female and who was his inspiration for WW) and his mistress, fathered children with both. He believed in strong women. Margaret Sanger was the aunt of his mistress (the other woman he lived with).

The whole magic lasso thing is about domination...and the chains that can bind her if a male chains her, that's also a domination thing (by men) she always breaks free...so strong...breaking the chains of domination...and she was an Amazon of course.

Marston was hired by Gaines (the head of DC) not to write a comic series, but as someone to help with the problem they were having with people viewing Batman and Superman as so dark and therefore bad for kids. I remember one of the early Superman stories I read had Supes tossing a live criminal into a volcano.

Anyway, Marston (who wrote using his middle name Moulton) convinced Gaines they needed a strong female character. The stories were never dark and Etta Candy was her comic relief. Diana was patriotic, she saved Steve's butt more than a few times and there were lots of evil spies.

The whole idea was not to be so dark, Batman was pretty dark back then as well. I've read that her costume was inspired by the Vargas girl pin ups, but I'm not so sure...it changed from a skirt to the shorts in the few few issues.

If you read the early stories you'll find that she won a contest based on her athletic skills in order to be the one to accompany Steve back to the US to help out the Country.

There was much talk of Venus and Athena (she was named Diana) and of course she was beautiful, but strong was the primary focus...just never dark, because that was what Marston was hired to mitigate.

So this movie persona would probably not be the classic WW;). However it looks like Supes and Batman might be going backwards in time, lol. Maybe there is a volcano;)

BOX OFFICE: Looks Like ANT-MAN Will Fall Just Short Of Its Estimated Weekend Takings

Marvel's Ant-Man took in an impressive (though it does mark Marvel's second lowest Friday opening ever after The Incredible Hulk) $22.6 million on Friday. Along with the $6.4 million it took in from Thursday screenings, the little fella is now on track to pull in an estimated $58 million over the weekend. Not bad at all - especially when you factor in the relative obscurity of the character - though it does fall just under analysts’ projections of between $60 and $65 million.

Just got back from seeing it with the grandson. He sat through this one better then the Avengers AOU and I think he also enjoyed it better.

I thought it was better then AOU and for me it didn't feel like I was watching a 2 hour long movie. The pacing was great and I thought they had a good balance of character development; comedy and action. I enjoyed how they gave some of the Pym's backstory and tied everything into the current Marvel Movie Universe.

Psy

Just got back from the movie. I went in not sure whether it would be good or not. I didn't really keep up with the hype if there was any for this move. I have to say I truly enjoyed it. It seemed more human as compared to the spectacles before it. There was some nice character development for the most part. Overall it was funny and had a nice balance of action and destruction albeit on a smaller scale (no pun intended) My wife went into the movie thinking it would be dumb and came out enjoying it thinking it was good and funny movie.

Great movie. Loved it. One of my favorites now.

Can't wait for the next Ant-Man movie.

Spoiler WARNING!!!

Nice to see Ant-Man fight one of the SHIELD superheroes. Anyone catch any easter eggs? One that I think may slip pass everyone is the glass container in Pym's basement. Looks like it could be Scarlet Beetle in it.

My son and I loved it. Plot could have been more complex, but that's my only nit-pick. Direction, acting, screenplay, and character development were excellent and the right touch on CGI. To anyone who forgot how good an actor Michael Douglas is, see this movie. He was outstanding.

I read that Ant-Man had a similar opening (Friday) to Green Lantern 3D

Close....but GL didn't have an almost $7 million Thursday. All in all Ant-man should outpace GL by $5-10 million total opening weekend, and the same number of screens and should avoid the 70% drop-off in week 2 that GL suffered.

Wait people are watching the Green lantern movie???? WTF

Would they watch battlefield Earth if it was in 3D????

I wouldn't watch Green Lantern if it was in 4D

Have been an Ant-Man fan since Avengers #93. Just saw the movie and thought it was really good!

I can't really find much fault with it. The acting and the choice of actors worked.

The Ant-Man premise is very difficult to convey in comics, let alone in a movie, but I thought they did as good of a job as they could with the subject matter.

When I first heard that Hank Pym was going to be old, I was skeptical, but it worked. And there's a lot more story to tell!

Overall, a very enjoyable movie. (thumbs u (thumbs u