• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC White Pages/Centuring vs. Grade

26 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm curious as to what most of you would prefer when buying CGC certified comics... Lets say for fun you were buying a copy of 1963 X-Men #4... Would you prefer an 8.5 off centered with off white/cream pages or an 8.0 with perfect centering and white pages? I know what I'd take... Curious as to what the masses would prefer?

I prefer well centered lower grade vs off-centered higher grade.

I prefer higher page quality at a lower grade as long as the presentation is still good, because I know White pages will sell (or re-sell) faster than OW.

I would need to see both books.

At that point I compare overall appeal, centering, manufacturing details such as staple location, how much white of the spine is showing, etc.

I would probably choose the 8.0 in the example above.

I own some books where I disagree with the grades given in direct comparison. I have a Batman 227 cgc 9.0, and a batman 227 cgc 8.5 and I think the 8.5 is the superior book all the way.

I picked up a copy of X-Men #96. There wasn't much difference in price between 9.0, 9.2 and 9.4... I opted for the 9.2 The 9.2 looked to be the cleanest of the bunch. Well centered with brilliant color and nice white pages and a nice clean slab with no scratches or cracks. :grin: Obviously it comes down to personal preference. It got me thinking...? What other CGC enthusiasts look for when buying slabbed comics.?

I picked up a copy of X-Men #96. There wasn't much difference in price between 9.0, 9.2 and 9.4... I opted for the 9.2 The 9.2 looked to be the cleanest of the bunch. Well centered with brilliant color and nice white pages and a nice clean slab with no scratches or cracks. :grin: Obviously it comes down to personal preference. It got me thinking...? What other CGC enthusiasts look for when buying slabbed comics.?

It has been said many many times on these forums: buy the book not the label.

Overall appeal, centering, manufacturing details such as staple location, how much white of the spine is showing, etc.

They are all things I consider when buying a book.

I only clicked on this thread to find out what centuring was.

The fact you had time to go out of your way just to insult a fellow board member speaks volumes about you as a person and your self esteem. Have a great Christmas.

Welcome to the Boards! :D

Another thing I have to consider is: how often do I see the book? Rarity can preclude other issues I may normally consider.

If it is a book you may not see for several years you might just buy it because it is the only copy.

I only clicked on this thread to find out what centuring was.

The fact you had time to go out of your way just to insult a fellow board member speaks volumes about you as a person and your self esteem. Have a great Christmas.

Some unsolicited advice, since your response speaks volumes about you as a person:

1. Develop a sense of humor. What Mysterio said was obviously a joke.

2. Develop a thicker skin. If you're going to get your panties in a bunch about a friendly spelling jab, I can't imagine your time here will be enjoyable.

French fry, pizza, french fry, pizza, If you french fry when you're supposed to pizza, you're gonna have a bad time.

Hello, I'm curious as to what most of you would prefer when buying CGC certified comics... Lets say for fun you were buying a copy of 1963 X-Men #4... Would you prefer an 8.5 off centered with off white/cream pages or an 8.0 with perfect centering and white pages? I know what I'd take... Curious as to what the masses would prefer?

For GA, off-centered books are the norm, especially with certain publishers. Like someone else said, I don't mind an off-center book as long as its not too crooked (and as long as no significant artwork has been trimmed off/moved to the back cover because of the poor centering).

I would fain go more than half a grade down to get white pages; I'd go several full grades down if I had to, in fact.