• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Safe for CGC Slabs

52 posts in this topic

hm

Looking to upgrade my safe and seeking the sage advice of the boards. Needs to store 40-50 slabs.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good safe to store CGC books?

(shrug)

Gun safe?

Large fire safe?

Stuff my mattress?

Best safe with humidity control (in OH)?

Other factors or advice?

:takeit:

Also, nonvalue-add commenters are welcome. Looking forward to both the productive and unproductive posts!

Sure, if you want to use the search function instead of getting others to do my work for me... Thanks!

Also, if I let it bother me that others have created my posts before, I would never post anything. People on here love getting angry about having to repeat themselves. It really is entertaining to the casual observer.

Sure, if you want to use the search function instead of getting others to do my work for me... Thanks!

Also, if I let it bother me that others have created my posts before, I would never post anything. People on here love getting angry about having to repeat themselves. It really is entertaining to the casual observer.

Just saying the information about storing slabs in a safe is out there. In the last dozen years of the boards existence, it's been discussed to death. The links I posted are only scratching the surface.

There are some threads which reference the image below, of a Hulk book stored in a safe. Hopefully this thread will explain what happened to the staple.

1174902-Hulk182TopStaple.jpg

Just saying the information about storing slabs in a safe is out there. In the last dozen years of the boards existence, it's been discussed to death. The links I posted are only scratching the surface.

There are some threads which reference the image below, of a Hulk book stored in a safe. Hopefully this thread explain what happened to the staple.

1174902-Hulk182TopStaple.jpg

Aware of the rusting problem and the opposite effect if you use the wrong dehumidifier. Fair concern.

Also, everything on this site has been discussed to death. Such is life.

There's also a thread talking about the dangers of safes. You need to open them often or the books suffer if you don't. Not just emotionally.

Makes sense. Just trying to understand IF I did want a safe, what the best options are out there. Was hoping someone had a good example of what they do overall (good safe + schedule + etc).

Someone out there has got to have an Action 1 or TEC 27 that they don't keep in a cardboard box in a closet...

Edited by rfoiii

hm

Looking to upgrade my safe and seeking the sage advice of the boards. Needs to store 40-50 slabs.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good safe to store CGC books?

(shrug)

Gun safe?

Large fire safe?

Stuff my mattress?

Best safe with humidity control (in OH)?

Other factors or advice?

:takeit:

Also, nonvalue-add commenters are welcome. Looking forward to both the productive and unproductive posts!

Hello,

Does it have to be a safe? Have you considered climate controlled storage; or depending the value if your books, vault storage? Personally, I store very few items at home. I use vault storage, climate controlled storage, and several safe deposit boxes.

If you are looking for specific at home storage, then safes are your only option in my opinion. Now if you want to build a vault room, that is always an option. I have a friend who stores his video game collection like this. Cool idea, but his wife still knows what he has and what he spends! lol

DO NOT purchase any safe from your local box store that states it is fire proof. these use moisture packets in the walling and will jack your books up. Don't try using baking soda or other moisture absorbent materials.

Find a safe from an actual safe company that is fire rated with insulation. Carefully read up on the materials used in any gun safe you purchase and don't cheap out. Most gun safes (Costco, Wal Mart, etc.) are fairly easy to break into. A good pry bar and two minutes and I can be in to just about any of those safes. Be sure that your safe does not have wheels on it - someone was trying to make moving them convenient and it happens that thieves like convenience too.

I personally have a safety deposit box I use. The only inconvenience is that you have to go in during banking hours to access it.