• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Safe for CGC Slabs

52 posts in this topic

Also - are those the mini-dehumidifiers on the door? which brand do you use?

Eva Dry - Any gun shop has them. I think I saw them a Meijers also.

http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry-500f-mini-dehumidifier/

Yes. Mine have been rebranded as Remington, but it's the same unit. You can order them through Amazon as well.

I've had a Fort Knox safe for 10+ years. I would highly recommend them.

Comes with a lifetime warranty. This past year the lock mechanism went bad. They send out a locksmith and fixed it all on their dime. No paperwork, no hassle, and very timely. Combine a home safe with C.I.A. blanket insurance for further peace of mind.

IMG_0833.jpg

Love the mayor Daley posters :applause:

+1 lol

Climate controlled storage is about $110 to $125 a month for a ten by ten unit. Vault storage is going to run you a lot more (several hundred to a thousand dollars a month) and access is going to be an issue (overall). Vault storage is meant in general for items over $10,000 each and up. A lot of art collectors use this kind of storage.

Keep in mind to review your insurance policy for your collectibles. Some will only pay a certain amount for items stored at home or in storage! I am surprised that no one mentioned this. Be very careful and be sure to ask questions. It is not blanket coverage on everything. This includes where and how items are stored and if they have those locations on file, etc.

Hope that helps.

Mint you beat me to it! But I'll add that I think safes at home - just to store comics - are mostly a waste of time and money. It's cheaper to just insure your books. Plus if you have comics that are valuable enough to want to put in a safe you'll want insurance anyway. On my policy having a safe wasn't going to save me but a few bucks a year on the premium. Storing the most valuable books in a safety deposit box saved more - but the savings were not as much as the safety deposit boxes would cost.

If you have a gun safe anyway, locking up the best of the best is tempting. Just pay attention to all the concerns noted here. BTW, someone mentioned keeping the safe "dry as a bone". If that was meant literally, that's not the best choice either. Ideal humidity levels are not universally agreed on, but it's generally accepted anything below 30% isn't good for paper. The current thinking is that consistency is also important and that temperature and humidity need to stay in a narrow range. + or - five degrees for temps and 3% on humidity.

So, I've been reading all of these related threads and I'm still unclear about one thing: safety deposit boxes.

Are they a good choice? Not in terms of cost, but in terms of conservation. Has anyone had any problems as the result of having stored pre-80s slabbed books in one for 5+ years?

4 hours ago, 143ksk said:

I've stored 5 figure GA books in a bank safe deposit box for 15-20 years without any issues.

Thanks. Is there anything specific one needs to look out for when choosing a safety deposit box, or are they all essentially the same? 

I presume yours are kept in a climate controlled space. But are the boxes themselves airtight? I'm going to meet with my bank to inspect their boxes.

17 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Thanks. Is there anything specific one needs to look out for when choosing a safety deposit box, or are they all essentially the same? 

I presume yours are kept in a climate controlled space. But are the boxes themselves airtight? I'm going to meet with my bank to inspect their boxes.

Just in a vault at Wells Fargo. No, the boxes are not airtight. Not sure why one would want them to be.