• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High?? Errr, no......

20 posts in this topic

Someone should tell him the Mile High copy is coded and pictured in the Photo Journal....and his is not! sumo.gif

West

....Not that I am even considering validating that this as a MH copy, ....but,.....weren't there some duplicates in the Mile High Collection?....

Not only not a Church copy, but one of the most boring covers of the run!

Agreed. I love those war era Action covers, but there were certainly a few duff covers from '46 onwards.

Strange how the seller is aware of Robert Crestohl and Gerry Ross but seems to have credited them with discovering the Church collection. insane.gif

[quoteStrange how the seller is aware of Robert Crestohl and Gerry Ross but seems to have credited them with discovering the Church collection. insane.gif

The seller is obviously confused (whether or not deliberately so I cannot say). On the Crestohl/Ross certificates - and EBay listings - the sellers of the collection tried to piggyback off of the Mile High "brand" by saying that the collection is the largest Golden Age pedigree other than MH. The seller of this auction must have taken this to mean - or hopes some unwitting purchaser will - that the Crestohl/Ross pedigree is the same as or comparable to the MH pedigree.

The guy wrote me back, and he says he thinks the Crestohl collection IS the mile high collection, and to let him know if he's wrong about this. So I'm thinking this guy isn't a scammer, but was legitimately scammed himself at some point. I've written him back saying as much.

Poor guy.

Is that Crestohl collection even recognized by CGC?

The guy wrote me back, and he says he thinks the Crestohl collection IS the mile high collection, and to let him know if he's wrong about this. So I'm thinking this guy isn't a scammer, but was legitimately scammed himself at some point. I've written him back saying as much.

Poor guy.

Sounds like you're probably right there.

As for the Crestohl collection, I confess I've never heard of it. I've heard of Robert Bell's collection of super HG S.A. books, but that's obviously nothing to do with it.

Poor guy.

As for the Crestohl collection, I confess I've never heard of it. I've heard of Robert Bell's collection of super HG S.A. books, but that's obviously nothing to do with it.

Tell me more, Gold! I thought Robert Bell was only a dealer? I bought from him 30 years ago, and he was the goods...although exorbitantly priced for the time. Did he also have a personal collection?

Poor guy.

Tell me more, Gold! I thought Robert Bell was only a dealer? I bought from him 30 years ago, and he was the goods...although exorbitantly priced for the time. Did he also have a personal collection?

I read an interview with him (I can't remember where - it may have been in Comics Between The Panels by Duin and Richardson) in which he stated that he gradually put together a run of Marvels from 1961 - 1978. Basically he was constantly upgrading and keeping the best copy of each book he found as collections passed through his hands.

I don't know if he saw it as a personal collection, or a project which he knew he would eventually dispense with. I'm not 100% certain, but I think he sold all the books in his HG set at around the time when he quit dealing in the early '80s. I think he sold his set to Koch or Dolgoff.

Thanks for that... I can imagine Bell having a pretty amazing collection if he was cherry-picking throughout that time. He guaranteed every book he sold as being in NM - does any dealer do that today? (Granted, "NM" in those days is not the same as today, but his stuff was truly in the 9.2 - 9.6 range consistently.)

Ah, I see, so this is not an actual "pedigree" but just another big collection, which basically means bupkis.

Hell, it's not even a collection, but rather the back issue stock of a pair of sleazy dealers! It sounds just close enough to "Recile Macon" that it could be mistaken for a pedigree...?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I think it`s safe to say that the "Crestohl collection" is recognized by CGC collectors--as a massive pile of [#@$%!!!] and a complete fraud.