• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlas-Seaboard CGC data

11 posts in this topic

Just a quick note for your blog article. Chaykin did not work on Phoenix, he worked on the Scorpion book for the first 2 or 3 issues.

There was a warehouse find of these books for sale on ebay back around 2000 or so. I didn't keep the data but off the top of my head I believe there were 10-15 thousand books. Over 100+ copies f most issues (Vicki being less). There are a lot of these books out there.

That IS interesting...so that pretty much puts these books in the category of super common in higher graded "in the wild", and the ones that are graded would represent a small fraction of what is really out there. I wonder how well the warehouse books have been preserved??

If you happen to stumble across any more info on this (was there a ComicBook Market Place article...or other??)...I would be interested. And thanks for the insight...I am going to update the blog right now!

The post has been updated and I corrected the Chaykin error. Thanks for the input boomtown!

Funny thing...if you go to google and search for "Atlas-Seaboard warehouse find" the first thing to pop up is this thread! I'll keep an eye out for anymore info on it, but given the way things went with the company...it does not surprise me that a bunch of these books were left sitting around at the end of the day.

Cheers.

Just to clarify, I don't know if it was a warehouse find, but there were huge stacks of books that were laid out being sold as one lot. The seller had it broken down by issue & there were 100+ of most of the books. I'm pretty sure it sold at a buyer friendly cost, cause I was interested but just couldn't figure out how there would be enough interest to blow them out in smaller lots.

If it was unsold warehouse stock I'm sure there would be a lot of high grade stuff, if it was returns - not so much. From the multiple photos, it looked like nice warehouse stock.

I don't believe any of the magazines were in the lot in quantities.

That is an interesting chart. It looks like Vicki tops out at 9.4, heaviest on 8.5. That's the only Atlas comics I haven't bothered to collect. Maybe other collectors are the same.

At one point I was going to collect a complete set. I worked on the more difficult titles first to make sure it was an obtainable goal. Vicki #3 & #4 are books I made sure to get early or I wasn't going to mess with them. I also was able to obtain low grade copies of Gothic Romances and My Secret, so I may still buy the rest.

DG

Of very small note I've come across some decent sized BA collections and have found runs of Atlas Seaboard in very high grade. I think these were commonly sold at conventions in the 1970s pretty heavily and were part of the first Bronze "Collectors Items" that occured around then. I think this was a result of Conan the Barbarian #1 how it went from being a 15 cent comic to a $5, $10, $15 comic by 1973-74.

Marvel put out all those #1s like Ms marvel, Nova, Human Fly, etc times 20

DC put out a bunch too - Sherlock Holmes, Joker, Warlord, etc times 20

Atlas did the same but as a new publisher I think they overprinted.

These are not rare at all but interest has picked up quite a bit for high grade copies. The only one that surprised me up top was Demon Hunter which I thought was a common book. The Police Action is an easy seller and seems to be higher demand lower supply.

Ed

You can see my registry set in my sig. Not an easy set to put together in high-grade, especially the Vicki run. 90% of my set was purchased raw on eBay and combined with the books that didn't make the cut, I figure I have at least 3 complete AS sets (excluding Gothic Romances & My Secret).

I have most of the rest of the set in high-grade, I'm just being pokey sending them to CGC. I think the raw Vicki 1 & 2 should grade out at least 9.6.

The Visitor, also a board member, has the top ranked set.

Great points. Most comics that have a low guide value are not likely going to get graded unless collectors know that the book is quite scarce OR they have a high grade copy and therefore have a chance to make some above guide sales. So most comics like these are likely to get graded only in the 9.0 or better range. The charge can be misread when it comes to a scarce title like Vicki. It is likely the rarest of all the titles but due to this collectors have already driven prices up on this book in the late 1990’s due to the bronze age boom and due to the higher price tag it has a better chance of having copies graded even though its the scarcer book.