• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOOM #2 – The First Appearance Of Wolverine, In 1973?

214 posts in this topic

44514641.jpg

OMG. Casey's right, the original costumes do look great in real life.

Wow, all that's needed is a picture of Danny DeVito to really put me in my place... :whatev:

Is Danny taller than you?

No, is he taller than you?

When he stands on his pile of money - yes.

Unfortunately Mr. Lee is not as wealthy as you think. He never owned any of his Marvel creations. But he is by no means hurting for cash, especially with all those signings and appearances he charges for doing the last ten years or so!

-J.

You need to reread the above posts and then construct another response.

No surprise, but Rob LIEfeld is also guilty of this.

in3f.jpg

Peace,

Chip

Looking at the character I would have expected his name to be something like Simon.

In 1998 Stan signed a contract with Marvel giving him a $1 million annual salary for life.

Plus, he made a ton on his Stan Lee web business, even after his accountant took off with most of it.

This has got to be the craziest thread on CGC, and that's saying a lot.

Look, it's neat that this guy sent in a fembot character sketch when he was a kid, and happened to put The Wolverine on the picture, but that's all it is. The character looks more like Machine Man than anything else, and it's obviously totally unrelated to the character that became Wolverine. I mean, you do realize that a wolverine is an animal that has been around before the 70's and that animal-themed characters were in vogue back then (just check out issues of Luke Cage), right?

Anyone seriously advocating that Len Wein & co. actually stole the idea from this nonsensical and totally unrelated sketch for what was intended to be a throw-away, one-shot character should take a close look at the four padded walls that surround him/her and realize you're totally off your rocker.

It's a neat little coincidence, and nothing more.

1) I don't think it is a big stretch to think the name might have been influenced, at least subconsciously, by this contest entry. foom was 'important' enough to have Steranko do the cover, i don't find it inconceivable that John romita Sr. and/or wein might have seen this.

2) The character, as drawn, bears no resemblance to the character. i agree. it looks like a robot, maybe one that can generate ski. cool idea for 1974.

3) with that said, fembots came out in 1976....

so, it looks like fembots were stolen from mr. olsen, as was the terminator. not wolverine.

of course, the honey badger might be even more terrifying than a wolverine, butit doesn't make for a great super hero name (except on Glee).

Look, it's neat that this guy sent in a fembot character sketch when he was a kid, and happened to put The Wolverine on the picture, but that's all it is. The character looks more like Machine Man than anything else, and it's obviously totally unrelated to the character that became Wolverine. I mean, you do realize that a wolverine is an animal that has been around before the 70's and that animal-themed characters were in vogue back then (just check out issues of Luke Cage), right?

Anyone seriously advocating that Len Wein & co. actually stole the idea from this nonsensical and totally unrelated sketch for what was intended to be a throw-away, one-shot character should take a close look at the four padded walls that surround him/her and realize you're totally off your rocker.

1) I don't think it is a big stretch to think the name might have been influenced, at least subconsciously, by this contest entry. foom was 'important' enough to have Steranko do the cover, i don't find it inconceivable that John romita Sr. and/or wein might have seen this.

2) The character, as drawn, bears no resemblance to the character. i agree. it looks like a robot, maybe one that can generate ski. cool idea for 1974.

so, it looks like fembots were stolen from mr. olsen, as was the terminator. not wolverine.

of course, the honey badger might be even more terrifying than a wolverine, butit doesn't make for a great super hero name (except on Glee).

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=17945&GSub=628

Is that just a title or an actual character that is related to a Honey Badger? lol

Is that just a title or an actual character that is related to a Honey Badger? lol

It's Fingh's autobiography...now in paperback

5vqkx.jpg