• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOOM #2 – The First Appearance Of Wolverine, In 1973?

214 posts in this topic

I always thought Wolverine made his first appearance in 1949 on the cover of Planet Comics 59.

Clearly he's just popped his claws and is chasing after Mysta. Ignore the fin on his head.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Planet-Comics-59-in-VG-condition-/310326473718?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4840e633f6

Maybe a big influence on Erik Larsen as well?

A Savage Dragon prototype? Will the market speak? :roflmao:

Yeah that does look like Savage Dragon. :sick: Does anyone even collect those comics any more? (tsk)

Sure, we cannot know the probability, but to claim it is impossible or absurd is illogical.

I know many comic dealers who think it is very likely that Marvel was inspired. The fact that a few people in here think it is less probable is ok. The sad thing is that some of these people resort to negative emoticons and "stole a 12 year olds idea hehehe" discussion tactics trying to ridicule other boarders rather than engage in a discussion about the topic. I know this is to be expected on the average discussion board, but many other comics discussion boards are void of such a culture.

Just ignore the troll and you'll have more fun in your discussions.

Of course you are right, but someone should not be so desperate to try to ridicule other boarders for an issue like this. Just discuss the topic. I'm thinking that there is some personal attachment to the issue whether or not Wolverine inspired Wolverine or not. And the negative way of discussing I'm sure is holding other people from entering the discussion. Basically a few people have decided to bully anyone with another opinion than theirs.

But you are right.

I agreed with you and no one bullied me. (shrug)

I think the whole Foom #2 thing was interesting. I would not buy that issue right now as it seems it's on a spike because of the discussions on here and the Bleeding Cool write ups.

Yeah, I know. There is hope of having a sober discussion :)

Yeah, the price may be on a spike. Or it may continue upwards until it becomes unattainable. I don't think the run they made is very large so if the demand is there then that could keep pushing the price up much higher.

Sure, we cannot know the probability, but to claim it is impossible or absurd is illogical.

I know many comic dealers who think it is very likely that Marvel was inspired. The fact that a few people in here think it is less probable is ok. The sad thing is that some of these people resort to negative emoticons and "stole a 12 year olds idea hehehe" discussion tactics trying to ridicule other boarders rather than engage in a discussion about the topic. I know this is to be expected on the average discussion board, but many other comics discussion boards are void of such a culture.

Of course you are right, but someone should not be so desperate to try to ridicule other boarders for an issue like this. Just discuss the topic. I'm thinking that there is some personal attachment to the issue whether or not Wolverine inspired Wolverine or not. And the negative way of discussing I'm sure is holding other people from entering the discussion. Basically a few people have decided to bully anyone with another opinion than theirs.

But you are right.

I agreed with you and no one bullied me. (shrug)

I think the whole Foom #2 thing was interesting. I would not buy that issue right now as it seems it's on a spike because of the discussions on here and the Bleeding Cool write ups.

Yeah, I know. There is hope of having a sober discussion :)

Yeah, the price may be on a spike. Or it may continue upwards until it becomes unattainable. I don't think the run they made is very large so if the demand is there then that could keep pushing the price up much higher.

I would bet that the prices may spike a bit then fall. I do not think the hype will last in this book long term. And I DO own a copy of Foom #2. Just my two cents. But still a cool mag if your a big Wolverine fan just on the thought it may have lead to Wolverine.

But you are right.

I have discussed it and I have also laid out facts which you have dismissed with conjecture and speculation. I even gave you a suggestion to contact the original creators to see if you can get the whole story. That's being a troll?

But you are right.

I have discussed it and I have also laid out facts which you have dismissed with conjecture and speculation. I even gave you a suggestion to contact the original creators to see if you can get the whole story. That's being a troll?

I still think he's really Goonchild but unfortunately can't prove it.

But you are right.

I still think he's really Goonchild but unfortunately can't prove it.

Let me say I am happy for the people I'm friends with who have this issue and will be able to make big money off of it selling it to suckers.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarity is the name and people who think differently are really reaching.

I've decided I don't like Wolverine.

Which one? (shrug)

What do yo mean which one? Aren't they the same?

5ue92.jpg

Where the claws not of metal in 180/181? .

I don't think there is any indication in the Hulk issues that Wolverines claw is part of him, or that he can retract it.

Len Wein's original intention was that the claws were part of the gloves. Claremont is the one who decided they would be part of the man.

Stan & Steve's original intention was that the webbing would come from a web shooter. Sam Raimi is the one who decided that it should come from the man.

:whee:

Peter David can lay claim to this idea via Spider-Man 2099. I don't think he asked for any compensation for this. ;)

I don't think there is any indication in the Hulk issues that Wolverines claw is part of him, or that he can retract it.

Len Wein's original intention was that the claws were part of the gloves. Claremont is the one who decided they would be part of the man.

Stan & Steve's original intention was that the webbing would come from a web shooter. Sam Raimi is the one who decided that it should come from the man.

Peter David can lay claim to this idea via Spider-Man 2099. I don't think he asked for any compensation for this. ;)

Can he? I thought that the treatment James Cameron wrote for a Spider-Man movie in the late 80's / early 90's also had organic web shooters hm

Can he? I thought that the treatment James Cameron wrote for a Spider-Man movie in the late 80's / early 90's also had organic web shooters hm

I read that in his CBG column. Maybe he meant in printed form. What a pompous ---but he's still one of my favortie writers.

I read that in his CBG column. Maybe he meant in printed form. What a pompous ---but he's still one of my favortie writers.

I honestly don't recall which one came first off the top of my head, though for some reason I remember reading about Cameron's treatment first. hm

Edit:

Cameron wrote his treatment in 1991 and Spider-Man 2099 debuted in 1992.

I think what we can surmise from this is that they both somehow stole this idea from a creative 12 year old. :insane:

There is also a side which is claiming there is some conspiracy by the IH 181 owners to degrade this Foom 2 claim. Despite the fact that even if this Foom 2 was legit it wouldn't affect the cost of IH 181 one bit.

Just curious, can you name some of these comic dealers?

I said that it would not hurt IH181 value - perhaps rather help it.

I know them personally and do not want to put them in the middle of this discussion as some people are hell-bent on denying any relation between Wolverine and Wolverine.

I think that is a very small minority among the people here. Why try to convince such a small number of people something you likely can't change their minds on anyway?

:shrug:

-slym

I honestly don't recall which one came first off the top of my head, though for some reason I remember reading about Cameron's treatment first. hm

Edit:

Cameron wrote his treatment in 1991 and Spider-Man 2099 debuted in 1992.

I think what we can surmise from this is that they both somehow stole this idea from a creative 12 year old. :insane:

Checking out the ever-reliable Wiki, Leslie Stevens wrote about the organic web-shooter back in 1985.

This treatment reflected elements in previous scripts: from the Stevens treatment, organic web-shooters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%28film%29

Maybe Leslie was 12 years old then.