• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Win Some, You Lose Some! posted by bagofleas

5 posts in this topic

Risky Business!

Cracking CGC graded comics for signatures is a risky proposition.

You are taking a big chance on the comic book in question. It might fall in grade, making it usually less valuable even with signatures. Of course, you are ultimately hoping it retains its original grade, thereby increasing its rarity and value.

In a lot of cases, you may be creating an OAK with the upgrade to an SS copy. I have done this many, many times now.

However, when the issue fails to retain the original grade, it makes it tough for hardcore collectors like myself. Now I have to find another higher graded copy to purchase to replace the one that lost a little of its former glory.

This is both costly and frustrating.

But when that comic book comes back in its fresn, new case with the Yellow Label at the top and the same grade displayed that it started with, it's the best feeling in the world!!

I had 80 comic books signed at the Baltimore Comic Con! A few were raw copies that I wanted to get signed and try for high grades on, but most of them were cracked out of their CGC cases.

Most retained their grades, but not all of them. Unfortunately, I had 9 New Mutants issues drop from 9.8 to 9.6! This is made even more unfortunate to me since I had all of them pressed before regrading and they still fell in grade!

I have already re-purchased all but one of them in 9.8 condition. I will have to try again sometime for signings on these copies. The next time, I will refrain from pressing afterwards, just in case the pressings had something to do with the fall in grade. After all, if one comes back less than 9.8, I can always resubmit it with a pressing to try and get it back up.

Anyway, as I've posted in journals before, there is great risk and reward for this aspect of our hobby. Below is an example of You Win Some, You Lose Some.

Both of these were 9.8 WP copies that I cracked and had signed in Baltimore. Both were pressed and regraded. The New Mutants #15 now has both Louise Simonson and a rare Sal Buscema signature on it but fell in grade. The Star Wars #107 was a BIG risk but retained its 9.8 grade and is now graced with Joe Rubinstein's scrawling!!!

14908.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

I have a mess of Rubinstein books for ECCC. I am so looking forward to it. Too bad about the grade drops. I hope they are not fidgeting the grades for I have been quite surprised at some of my more recent books back from CGC.

Oh well, like you said...You win some and lose sum...(pun)

I feel for you BagofFleas. This CGC trend in grading is disturbing and many of my recent books returned have received 9.4s and 9.6s. Makes me not want to risk submitting books only for it to come back less than you expected.

Hope you'll win some next submission. Thanks for sharing.

Still holding my breath right now for the 4 New Mutant books I sent in back in October to Alamo City for Liefeld to sign. Don't know what happened at CCS but my books even fast tracked sat there until this past week where they have finally been received by CGC..... No idea what happened nor why I even bothered with fast tracking here. Hopefully all of them retain there 9.8 greatness but I am getting more and more worried at the constant falling of grades as seems to be a trend. Not to mention a few others I sent in during the Wizard World Austin.... Hoping for a clean 9.8SS sweep but starting to look at reality.

I just started to get signatures on my All-Star Squadrons. Even though I have a full run 9.8's CGC's, I will NOT crack those cases. Right now I'm just hunting them raw, get them signed and graded.