• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eldon Pedigree
1 1

108 posts in this topic

Eldon was born April 7, 1934 in Iowa. His sister, Iva, was born in 1939. Their dad, John, was a farmer. Their mother's name was Caroline.

Eldon died in June of 1987 in Larchwood, Iowa.

I'm guessing the comics were sold right after his death in 1987. That would explain why the Gerber photo journal has a few of the Eldon books pictured.

I'm a little curious as to whether the Eldon Dedini comics surface before or after the discussion of them being Eldon Dedini's books. What is the earliest sighting anyone has ever had of a Dedini book?

Several if not all of the key books -- including nice copies of Tecs #1 and #2 -- were auctioned by Phil Weiss in February 2010. Because of the nature of the auction and the fact that the books were not CGC graded, many of them went for a song.

I'm a little curious as to whether the Eldon Dedini comics surface before or after the discussion of them being Eldon Dedini's books. What is the earliest sighting anyone has ever had of a Dedini book?

Several if not all of the key books -- including nice copies of Tecs #1 and #2 -- were auctioned by Phil Weiss in February 2010. Because of the nature of the auction and the fact that the books were not CGC graded, many of them went for a song.

Any documentation of the Dedini books before 2010?

I became aware of the books when kimik posted the following Phil Weiss announcement on the boards January 6, 2010.

PWA is Proud to Announce a Super Comic Find to be Offered in February...(dated TBD)

The Comic collection and Original Art from the Estate of noted Artist Eldon Dedini. The Comics Consist of 21 Key Golden Age Books all unrestored with owners name and code number attached to the cover. These books are extremely High Grade With White/Off Pages in Most Cases and represent some very Key and Scarce Issues. Included in the Collection are Detective Comics #'s 1, 2, 28, 34, 38, 40, 41, 42, 48 More Fun 60 & 62 Batman 3-5. Original Comic art from the collection includes a Great 1962 Peanuts Baseball Daily and a Herriman Krazy Kat Sunday both Fresh to the Market. Will are also thrilled to offer some wonderful Eldon Dedini Playboy illustrations as well. The sale will feature additions from other collections as well including Two Fresh to the Market Hogarth Tarzan Sunday Pages and another wonderful early Peanuts Daily.

I became aware of the books when kimik posted the following Phil Weiss announcement on the boards January 6, 2010.

PWA is Proud to Announce a Super Comic Find to be Offered in February...(dated TBD)

The Comic collection and Original Art from the Estate of noted Artist Eldon Dedini. The Comics Consist of 21 Key Golden Age Books all unrestored with owners name and code number attached to the cover. These books are extremely High Grade With White/Off Pages in Most Cases and represent some very Key and Scarce Issues. Included in the Collection are Detective Comics #'s 1, 2, 28, 34, 38, 40, 41, 42, 48 More Fun 60 & 62 Batman 3-5. Original Comic art from the collection includes a Great 1962 Peanuts Baseball Daily and a Herriman Krazy Kat Sunday both Fresh to the Market. Will are also thrilled to offer some wonderful Eldon Dedini Playboy illustrations as well. The sale will feature additions from other collections as well including Two Fresh to the Market Hogarth Tarzan Sunday Pages and another wonderful early Peanuts Daily.

Thank you for that. Doesn't have the same panash as the other Eldon books. I wonder if he bought them young and kept them in pristine condition or if he bought them second-hand and put his name on them.

So now we have three confirmed Eldons who signed their comics!

Eldon Dedini 1921-2006

Eldon Tuffentsamer 1928-1978

Eldon Hamman 1934-1987

:ohnoez:

Hamman would have been too young to sign, in cursive, any of the early 40s examples in all likelihood

Not so sure about that. At least in the -- possibly antique -- Catholic school curriculum my kids went through, second grade was devoted to "cursive and Communion." I would guess that many kids in the late 1930s/early 1940s may have been pretty skilled at signing their names in cursive by age 7.

5 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think there are actually 2 different Eldon collections, IIRC.  Eldon Hamman and Eldon Dedini.  

Although I am not sure how you can tell the difference between the two of them, it would appear that it's the Eldon Hamman collection that is now recognized as an official pedigree by CGC:  :gossip:

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/eldon/

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/24/2013 at 10:01 AM, RedFury said:

So now we have three confirmed Eldons who signed their comics!

Eldon Dedini 1921-2006

Eldon Tuffentsamer 1928-1978

Eldon Hamman 1934-1987

:ohnoez:

On 12/24/2013 at 9:12 AM, G.A.tor said:

Looks like there are two eldons. The printed dedini and the cursive h.

:facepalm:  If I'd just read the previous 2 pages of the thread, it's all in here.  

FWIW, if you look at the signature of Eldon Tuffenstamer, that -script seems to match the more common books that are just signed "Eldon" on the front cover.  Anyway, there's a bunch of examples to check out and match to.