• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eldon Pedigree
1 1

108 posts in this topic

I know the collection was discovered before 1990 as some of the "Eldon" books are pictured in the Gerber Photo-Journal. I've seen & owned many. They seem to range in grade from 6.0 to 9.0. I'm not sure of the size of the collection or the scope of the years, but I had the Eldon All American #30 (1941) and have seen some others as late as 1947.

Eldon Dedini had a brother, so one could speculate that he wrote his name on the books to differentiate which ones belonged to him.

I've seen Dedinis with just a number stamped on them, but I don't know if they were Eldon's or his brother's.

here's my one Eldon:http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/earlshaw98/media/whiz25_zpsab3f3282.jpg.htmlhttp://s1349.photobucket.com/user/earlshaw98/media/whiz25_0001_zps18d5c3b8.jpg.htmlhttp://s1349.photobucket.com/user/earlshaw98/media/whiz25_0002_zpsf19f5eb1.jpg.html

Eldon Dedini had a brother, so one could speculate that he wrote his name on the books to differentiate which ones belonged to him.

I've seen Dedinis with just a number stamped on them, but I don't know if they were Eldon's or his brother's.

Steve,

I've heard mention before that the Eldon copies belonged to Eldon Dedini. But I used to own this Captain Marvel 35 that has "Eldon M. T." written on the front and "Eldon M. Tuffentsamer" written on the back. The cursive -script looks the same as on most other Eldon copies. It's a pretty unique name, and a Google search reveals that an "Eldon M. Tuffentsamer" was born in 1928 and died in 1978. Do you know where the Eldon Dedini story came from? Is it possible there are two Eldons out there who wrote their names on their books? Or is Eldon Tuffentsamer the actual Eldon collection original owner?

CaptainMarvel35_VGF50.jpg

CaptainMarvel35_VGF50_back.jpg

Eldon_Grave.jpg

That is very interesting, Todd - I think you may be on to something there!

I have no idea where the original Eldon story came from. (shrug)

Regarding his brother, I can't recall the specific details from years ago when Dedini died. An obituary mentioned his (older?) brother living in a city nearby, and I tried to contact him multiple times but without luck. I think he has since passed.

Here's one of Eldon Dedini's copies. Is this same Eldon Dedini with art published in Esquire, New Yorker and Playboy? If so, he would have 15 yrs old when this was published.

It appears there may be two "Eldon" collections.

FunnyPictureStories4_zps1ecd7511.jpg

Edited by PreHero

Here's one of Eldon Dedini's copies. Is this same Eldon Dedini with art published in Esquire, New Yorker and Playboy? If so, he would have 15 yrs old when this was published.

It appears there may be two "Eldon" collections.

FunnyPictureStories4_zps1ecd7511.jpg

This one strikes me as odd. Is there any provable provenance that this isn't a fake? Given the lack of background on the Tom Reilly pedigree and the source of its original provenance, I'm pretty cautious about things that appear too good to be true.