• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

It's a pretty neat book for a few reasons. The cover artist, Maurice Bramley, is/was a local and he did pretty good work on this one, considering how early in Spidey's career this was produced, and therefore not a lot of reference material. The (black and white) interior reprints Amazing Spider-Man #1, so faithfully in fact that the "Peter Palmer" errors are reproduced:

100_0687508x381.jpg

As to condition, it is VERY nice by Australian standards for local product of this vintage. I can remember when these were scorned by the (local) market and collectors actively avoided them, preferring the US originals.

And now back to AJD.

8 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

It's a pretty neat book for a few reasons. The cover artist, Maurice Bramley, is/was a local and he did pretty good work on this one, considering how early in Spidey's career this was produced, and therefore not a lot of reference material. The (black and white) interior reprints Amazing Spider-Man #1, so faithfully in fact that the "Peter Palmer" errors are reproduced:

100_0687508x381.jpg

As to condition, it is VERY nice by Australian standards for local product of this vintage. I can remember when these were scorned by the (local) market and collectors actively avoided them, preferring the US originals.

And now back to AJD.

Lovely stuff! Maurice indeed did a great job. Very simple, yet striking and, as you say, faithful. It seems anything with a pence price is scorned upon, alas. Still, we love them so who cares. And I know all about the condition of AUS books, having put together that ASM price variant run :headbang:

But yes,  back to AJD (AUS, ASM, AJD, this could catch on) :)

21 minutes ago, AJD said:

Carry on chaps. Just got back from overseas, and I'm a little fatigued to post anything. But I like your work. (thumbsu

Back from a comic buying trip I hope?

Just remembered I had two of the ST #5's at one point. This one looked more in keeping with the kind of condition you might expect! :headbang:

5a116f3ed8405_STAus.thumb.JPG.357bb6d4a0d0b099f869025a234edb23.JPG

On 11/19/2017 at 10:48 PM, Marwood & I said:

Back from a comic buying trip I hope?

No, I was in Tokyo. Went to a few comic stores to check them out, but manga doesn't really do it for me and I didn't find any western comics.

Here's a safety tip though - when it's six floors of comics, they start out very innocent on the first floor, and go steadily downhill after that. By the fifth floor we were in an ugly place. I have no idea what was on the sixth. :eek:

Here's a comic that's a bit odd. I bought it by "mistake" in an MCS auction. I saw it going at a reasonable price, and I was going to buy some books that closed later. Well, the reasonable price got bid up, and I was sucked in  by then. It still wasn't too bad (about $70) but more than I should have paid for it. The L.B. Cole art on the cover was the appeal.

Jungle_Adventures_7.thumb.jpg.f053e8644bb7b11879b180f2e8355ae1.jpg

Oh, and the other books went for more than I wanted to pay, so I shelled out for the international postage for a book I didn't really need after all!

Still, I was really curious to see what "PictureScope" was. What kind of gimmick had they cooked up? It must be something pretty special, right? Have a guess as to what it was before opening the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

Jungle_Adventures_7_int.thumb.jpg.146fc9679e5287eb9380cad47d5219e0.jpg

Every story page is a single black and white panel. But it's NEW! And LIFE LIKE! As well as STARTLING! and EXCITING! For what's essentially a captioned colouring book... lol

That was a few weeks back. I feel better about it now it has arrived and is kind of a fun thing to own.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:41 AM, AJD said:

Still, I was really curious to see what "PictureScope" was. What kind of gimmick had they cooked up? It must be something pretty special, right? Have a guess as to what it was before opening the spoiler tag below.

Reveal hidden contents

Jungle_Adventures_7_int.thumb.jpg.146fc9679e5287eb9380cad47d5219e0.jpg

Every story page is a single black and white panel. But it's NEW! And LIFE LIKE! As well as STARTLING! and EXCITING! For what's essentially a captioned colouring book... lol

That was a few weeks back. I feel better about it now it has arrived and is kind of a fun thing to own.

That's great! lol I was always a fan of those ACG "TrueVision" comics from 1953 that tried to cash in on the 3-D fad on the cheap. Those books at least put a little more effort in, with black panel borders and soft zipitone background art that seemed to recede in depth.

(Another great 3-D-era oddity from around the same time is the R&B song "My Baby's 3-D" by Billy Ward and the Dominoes. Give it a try!) :D

I get that Ann has been awarded an Oscar for something or other, but why are the Mandrills so enraged? Unhappy fellow nominees? Making a statement about the AMPAS bias against other primates?

Very nice book with great colours for a Fiction House - and I know AJD does NOT "amp" his scans.

OK, as they say in the classics, " It's time to separate the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys and the awkwardly feminine from the possibly Canadian". (An AJD No-Prize(TM) if anyone can place the quote.)

This was going for $20, so I gave it a home in the growing Commonwealth Collection(TM).

Jungle_144.thumb.jpg.9f9dd2859faf647eaa21eeada0af6e0a.jpg

According to the GCD it has the same contents as the US edition. Only the ads have been changed. The local ads are in B&W but the rest of the book is colour (do Canadians use the 'u'?):

Jungle_144_int.thumb.jpg.e836f2f70b1429d7ff43638571db54eb.jpg

One of the most obvious gaps in my collection was finally filled by a purchase at Heritage today. Hint: D93488_2.jpg.494f8b0e1c5f895f71589941f6d5ce7f.jpg More when it arrives.

18 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Cotton McKnight from "Dodgeball"

Correct. An AJD No Prize (TM) for you.

18 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Lovely book. Can any body tell me if they were run on the same presses as the US versions?

The Indicia says 'PRINTED IN CANADA'. The cover stock has a notably different texture. it's quite 'grainy' and rough to to touch.

Jungle #144 was 1952. I agree with @1950's war comics- that's an expensive toy, even if you could make a thousand of them.

I was away visiting family this weekend, and hit a couple of second hand and antique stores. I found a few good books, and this, for $10:

AWW_Oct_44.thumb.JPG.0ffb82e5009507e2961e95e2b37c116b.JPG

This find made me unreasonably excited. It's the first Australian magazine I've found with a war bonds cover, and it's in great condition. My wife loves it (she's an easy touch for 30s and 40s illustration). We think we'll frame it under UV glass and hang it on the wall.

Edit: I should mention that it's a big magazine too - 41 x 29 cm ( over 16" x 11") which makes its condition more remarkable.