• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, AJD said:

This find made me unreasonably excited. It's the first Australian magazine I've found with a war bonds cover, and it's in great condition. My wife loves it (she's an easy touch for 30s and 40s illustration). We think we'll frame it under UV glass and hang it on the wall.

This is awesome - I understand your excitement!

59 minutes ago, edowens71 said:
1 hour ago, AJD said:

This find made me unreasonably excited. It's the first Australian magazine I've found with a war bonds cover, and it's in great condition. My wife loves it (she's an easy touch for 30s and 40s illustration). We think we'll frame it under UV glass and hang it on the wall.

This is awesome - I understand your excitement!

I agree. There are few excitements in life that are more exciting than the unreasonable excitement of the excited comic collector and his exciting new find :headbang:

5 hours ago, Point Five said:

(The neon sign seems a touch extravagant. Shouldn't that money have gone into the war bonds?)

Love it!  (thumbsu

Not to mention war time black-out rules.

Nice find. AJD knows this, but I'll blather on anyway. This magazine is still being published, although from 1982 it became a monthly periodical.

The original name was retained, however, for obvious "aesthetic" reasons.

OK, a very nice box of comics arrived today courtesy of the redoubtable @edowens71. Ed is very kind, and as well as unloading selling some of his nice undercopies to me, lets me use him as a shipping agent as well. Many thanks Ed!

Here's an Owens hand-me-down, and a very nice one at that. It's everyone's favourite offbeat EC New Direction title. I like Jack Kamen's Dali-esque cover image a lot.

large.Psych_3.jpg.0f93729d7ea8e05a44d3c401c073bba1.jpg

It's always hard to pick an interior page from these because of the slow pace and dialogue heavy nature of them. I picked this one because it struck me that Ellen Lyman is being set up for one of those scenes where she takes off her glasses, lets her hair down and gives it shake, transforming her from librarian to hottie. That never happens, but a guy can dream, right? #hotlibrarian (Maybe I need some Psychoanalysis myself? lol )

Psych_3_int.thumb.jpg.e8d046a43977f34b4aa39f4e70715050.jpg

Moving on from hot librarians to hot cowgirls (though do we ever really move on from hot libriarians?)... another Ed hand-me-down here, and my first western comic. I just love the colours on this one.

Saddle_Justice_6.thumb.jpg.80796d3ac7b078143f8baf0b38047e73.jpg

Here's the splash. You might well think 'how can she recover from that situation'?

Saddle_Justice_6_int.thumb.jpg.7036f21bb662b45f0774f43033672f85.jpg

Well...

Spoiler

she doesn't. She was the villain, and she and her horse fall to their deaths.

3 hours ago, Beige said:

So, as we are liking all things Australian, a couple of Golden Age Aussie 1940's comics for you all to hopefully enjoy!

5a2a3583bbcf0_bc.thumb.jpg.1e0d00084f1b33947e7a64093699601a.jpgw.thumb.jpg.f3c242216baf436ebf1e1885b463618e.jpg

Nice ones. Rwo strips I used to enjoy. Mostly unintelligible to younger Australians though.

You've reminded me that I need to try to resurrect the Australian GA thread. I gave up when the great photobucket calamity of 'ought sixteen hit.

Indeed you should Andrew, it was a great thread, and I know non-Australians liked it as well.

Maybe Arch has it furtively hidden somewhere in his sack and he can produce it as a Christmas Treat?

OK, I've almost finished reloading the images of mine in the Australian GA thread. I'll bump it back when it's done and add a few of the books I've picked up since Photobucketedden.

But back in the saddle with recent acquisitions, here's another @edowens71 surplus EC western. Yee haw. A great Ingels cover to start with.

large.Gunfighter_8.jpg.52ee6477da90f3a38a6831aea2e570c3.jpg

Here's the UTC page for this issue. Another splash. Another wagon barely under control. Another woman in red with bodice-straining anatomy. Still, it's hard to see how you could have too many of those.

Gunfighter_8_int.thumb.jpg.0a5ca4a43ee1d8ee05c5be621ca8445f.jpg

Edited by AJD
Duffman is a poopy-head

1 minute ago, AJD said:

OK, I've almost finished reloading the images of mine in the Australian GA thread. I'll bump it back when it's done and add a few of the books I've picked up since Photobucketedden.

But back in the saddle with recent acquisitions, here's another @edowens71 surplus EC western. Yee haw. A great Ingells cover to start with.

large.Gunfighter_8.jpg.52ee6477da90f3a38a6831aea2e570c3.jpg

Here's the UTC page for this issue. Another splash. Another wagon barely under control. Another woman in red with bodice-straining anatomy. Still, it's hard to see how you could have too many of those.

Gunfighter_8_int.thumb.jpg.0a5ca4a43ee1d8ee05c5be621ca8445f.jpg

Westerns, even moreso than Romance books interest me a lot lately, given the art can't be so superhero "out there" and needs to be grounded in the "real world" with a lot of props.

Maneely, Severin and a few others I can't recall mastered this.

Not sure about Ingells.  Is he related to Graham Ingels?  :baiting:

One more EC from Ed. Another one in the SSS series I'm not collecting. lol

large.SSS_17.jpg.e274b61644cf1085cf4e0ffea6ec2619.jpg

UTC this time with a story about a movie star - who seems to be a hybrid of Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff - who is tired of being typecast in horror films when at heart he's a serious dramatic artist. He doesn't take his lifetime achievement award quite in the spirit in which it was intended... :eek:

SSS_17_int.thumb.jpg.094bb39f19f2b39e0552041a31053311.jpg

So I was picking up the bombproof packaging that typifies an @edowens71 package and I thought to myself "self, those couple of pieces of cardboard seem quite heavy". On inspection, there was a magazine (neatly housed in a mylar with a fullback) taped between them. here it is - a freebie I hadn't noticed!

Mad_92.thumb.jpg.29ce557947545ac169f43b15b9d3088e.jpg

By this stage of Mad most of the 'comic book EC' guys had moved on, thought there is a Joe Orlando piece in there. What I really liked was this unusually cerebral 3-pager. I'd love to be at a baseball game where the fans were bagging out the umpire with the Bard! lol

Mad_92_int1.thumb.jpg.5d4e4711db0b6e1c98aebed76309e999.jpg

Mad_92_int2.thumb.jpg.a1042af5a57e068830f2f658a8ac13d4.jpg

Mad_92_int3.thumb.jpg.ad8396f6868a3ec791022cfebcfbdd59.jpg