• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, AJD said:

So I was picking up the bombproof packaging that typifies an @edowens71 package and I thought to myself "self, those couple of pieces of cardboard seem quite heavy". On inspection, there was a magazine (neatly housed in a mylar with a fullback) taped between them. here it is - a freebie I hadn't noticed!

Mad_92.thumb.jpg.29ce557947545ac169f43b15b9d3088e.jpg

By this stage of Mad most of the 'comic book EC' guys had moved on, thought there is a Joe Orlando piece in there. What I really liked was this unusually cerebral 3-pager. I'd love to be at a baseball game where the fans were bagging out the umpire with the Bard! lol

Mad_92_int1.thumb.jpg.5d4e4711db0b6e1c98aebed76309e999.jpg

Mad_92_int2.thumb.jpg.a1042af5a57e068830f2f658a8ac13d4.jpg

Mad_92_int3.thumb.jpg.ad8396f6868a3ec791022cfebcfbdd59.jpg

This is just wonderful. By my count, writer Garvin has pulled quotes from more than 20 of the Baird's plays (plus Sonnets!!) to create the dialogue. When this was created, there were no databases to pull up nor on line quotes to pluck.

Barring an esoteric reference book (which I suspect may exist) that some scholar had created that allows the reader to examine Shakespearean quotes as they refer to various categories (a bit like a Thesaurus) Garvin displays a very impressive breadth and depth of his subject.

And talk about obscure offerings. Has anybody seen, let alone studied "Timon of Athens" or "Titus Andronicus"?

What a great freebie. You know, I have always had some regard for edowens71 lol

55 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

:blush: Thanks for the kind words, guys!

You earned them Ed.

:gossip: I think Duffbloke might have been angling for an undeserved freebie. Fear not, I usually send him something at this time of year, so I'll send him a deserved freebie. <summons dog, looks for paper bag and matches>

On 12/13/2017 at 1:34 AM, Brando- said:

This. Thread. Is. Awesome!

I really like the Shock SupsenStories #17

On 12/13/2017 at 3:06 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Yes nice thread‼️And Shock Suspense 17 first appearance of the Scarecrow??⁉️

You are too kind guys. I'm glad you like it. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the same scarecrow from Arkham. :insane:

Here's a new book to my collection. Another Crimson Comet winging its way back to Australia (from the UK):

CC_38.thumb.jpg.8c12f96b9a8809f589cdebd3bf59101e.jpg

3 hours ago, AJD said:

You are too kind guys. I'm glad you like it. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the same scarecrow from Arkham. :insane:

Here's a new book to my collection. Another Crimson Comet winging its way back to Australia (from the UK):

CC_38.thumb.jpg.8c12f96b9a8809f589cdebd3bf59101e.jpg

Has Dr Doom enlisted him to help find Blackbeard's treasure? :p

26 minutes ago, AJD said:

Danged if I'm not getting a taste for L. B. Cole.

Terrors_Jungle_05.thumb.jpg.b9ae490b5be994df754040fcea0ec5a4.jpg

There is nothing a comic needs beyond animal print bikinis, bondage and mayhem generated by an irate pachyderm. Except, of course, for more animal print bikinis, bondage and mayhem generated by an irate pachyderm.

Terrors_Jungle_05_int.thumb.jpg.684e3e03d5feec9590dd7052269445bb.jpg

L.B Cole, I believe that's an expensive taste nowadays.

Is that the "white elephant" running amok? 'Cause it looks remarkably grey to me, I have to say I'm disappointed. I was expecting more of a Moby Richard look. However, I do have to congratulate the denizens of the jungle for their excellent hair-styling!

5 hours ago, AJD said:

There is nothing a comic needs beyond animal print bikinis, bondage and mayhem generated by an irate pachyderm. 

Image result for mad elephant gif "And we're not that easy to draw you know. Tum te tum...tum te tum....there. What do you think?

8 hours ago, AJD said:

There is nothing a comic needs beyond animal print bikinis, bondage and mayhem generated by an irate pachyderm. Except, of course, for more animal print bikinis, bondage and mayhem generated by an irate pachyderm.

Terrors_Jungle_05_int.thumb.jpg.684e3e03d5feec9590dd7052269445bb.jpg

Also to be noted is the introduction of not one but two cobras, a rather cliched witchdoctor or two (I assume) and what is going on with Jo-Jo's bondage? Seems to have a huge range of movement with his arms - surely enough to extricate himself.

As has been noted by others, AJD, very nice, strong colours on this cover.

Oh, and I learned a new word today - "soughed".

Here's the final one from my most recent package. Planets are getting expensive these days, but if you're prepared to live with a little glue on the staples you can do OK.

Planet_43.thumb.jpg.4f8e3ca989832bf69f6800627cfe1892.jpg

And there's an UTC treat today. Here are two (count 'em) interior pages. The first has some little known (and perhaps a touch surprising) facts about life on Mercury:

Planet_43_int.thumb.jpg.abe5614d7a6b01afe903d14d55276fda.jpg

The second has some very cool GGA/bondage artwork.

Planet_43_int_2.jpg

And this is just too good not to include as well. A smokin' Sheena on the back cover.

Planet_43_back.thumb.jpg.7147482f7f1e7cd2143c61f135acf45f.jpg

I think if there was a GA book I'd collect it would be one of the sci-fi ones. That's the first time I've seen a UTC of a Planet, quite a sexual undertone going on there. I really like the covers of Weird Science/Fantasy that I think you posted earlier...or it may have been in Ed's thread. Either way they look great too.

Edited by Harry Lime

On 12/19/2017 at 6:44 AM, AJD said:

Here's the final one from my most recent package. Planets are getting expensive these days, but if you're prepared to live with a little glue on the staples you can do OK...

At one point I had about 50% of the Planet run, and this was one that really stood out for its interior art. Great grab.  :headbang: