• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, AJD said:

Hi Harry - as it happened I had one of them and the other wasn't worth the 15 quid postage cost. :eek:

BUT... while I was trolling UK listings for Jungles I found the two "British" Australian editions above, so I do owe you a shout out! (thumbsu

I'm glad I didn't waste your time then. (thumbsu

Have wanted one of these for a long time. I figured the story wasn't great, but the cover is so charming I thought it was worth adding to the duck box. For $20 I am very pleased with the way this presents.

large.DD_27.jpg.c527b954cd93409c0bc6471043790329.jpg

But, man, is the story a stinker. (Actually, everything between the covers is pretty dreadful - the backup story is just as bad.) Here's a page that shows Uncle Scrooge to be an easily-persuaded know-nothing who can be talked into shelling out for an expedition ... nm, see for yourself. (Scan from an online copy. Mine has nice OW/W pages)

DD_27_int.PNG.2c43a858f6c4023f82145c09b738112c.PNG

On 2/14/2018 at 6:48 AM, AJD said:

Have wanted one of these for a long time. I figured the story wasn't great, but the cover is so charming I thought it was worth adding to the duck box. For $20 I am very pleased with the way this presents.

can't go wrong at that price , nice duck book (thumbsu

Haven't updated here for a while, but I haven't added much to the boxes lately either. There are some nice things winging their way towards me at the moment, but for now you'll have to put up with this. I've posted it on the GA boards, but it's cool enough to get a run on my journal. I've had Archie 50 envy for a few years now, and I'd checked the Australian printings on the GCD and Ausreprints, but neither of them had #14, which turns out to be...

Archie_14_Australian.thumb.jpg.f26890afe3da0ae3ace026b4c3633b95.jpg

:banana:

8 hours ago, AJD said:

Haven't updated here for a while, but I haven't added much to the boxes lately either. There are some nice things winging their way towards me at the moment, but for now you'll have to put up with this. I've posted it on the GA boards, but it's cool enough to get a run on my journal. I've had Archie 50 envy for a few years now, and I'd checked the Australian printings on the GCD and Ausreprints, but neither of them had #14, which turns out to be...

:banana:

What is he looking at..... :whistle:

archie.PNG.f3a0197193aa01d9c8d737e5a2a861d1.PNG

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What is he looking at..... :whistle:

archie.PNG.f3a0197193aa01d9c8d737e5a2a861d1.PNG

Little known fact: Archie was a very keen collector of telephone handsets.

At least I think that's what's going on there! lol

Bit of a change of pace today. A first print Australian Classics Illustrated. #23 in the series - the first 30-odd were landscape format.

large.5ab0c7c67286d_20kLeagues.jpg.5488a720bffc3a6ed0b7d89508c89e85.jpg

When I was about 8 my dad took us kids to the drive-in movies to see the Disney 20k Leagues film. There is one scene I really remember vividly, so there was no question as to what the UTC for this book would be. #tentaclegoodness

5ab0c8ee84b89_20kLeaguesint.thumb.jpg.b1999d03e1da1db2c263cce54f6061ad.jpg

5 hours ago, AJD said:

I got a big box o' goodness in the mail today. I've just started going through it. One of the big books (at the very least in terms of physical size) was this monster.

large.Fabulous_king_size_annual.jpg.bbb82545988314a183d195c5666519bd.jpg

Despite the obvious wear, it's solid and very readable. The highlights/headlights are 50 pages of Stanley Pitt's Silver Starr (see bottom rhc of cover), and some Phantom Lady reprints. I won't squish the book onto the scanner, but I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. Great stuff. :cool: 

:applause:Beautiful! Love it! Fabulous find!

On 3/17/2018 at 6:26 AM, AJD said:

Archie_14_Australian.thumb.jpg.f26890afe3da0ae3ace026b4c3633b95.jpg

Hmmmmm. I see at least a couple of reasons to go that extra mile for the nickel.

:x

Edited by Hepcat

10 hours ago, AJD said:

I got a big box o' goodness in the mail today. I've just started going through it. One of the big books (at the very least in terms of physical size) was this monster.

large.Fabulous_king_size_annual.jpg.bbb82545988314a183d195c5666519bd.jpg

Wow, 340 pages! There were big ones on the stands in Australia to tempt you young fellows back then.

:whatthe:

Edited by Hepcat

6 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

Wow, 340 pages! There were big ones on the stands in Australia to tempt you young fellows back then.

:whatthe:

Wouldn't have thought too many young fellows had five shillings to spend on comics in 1956. Perhaps that's why these are rare.