• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

Hey, thanks so much guys. I'm glad you like what you find here. I was going to hold this off until tomorrow, but I got in a batch of Australian FH reprints today, so I'll still have something to share over the next couple of weeks.

For @porcupine48 and @Artboy99, here's the #3 in that UK Planet run. There were five of them in total, but I passed on #4 and #5 because they have covers I have on later US editions anyway. I probably shouldn't have - I wonder if they're still around. hm

Anyhoo, #3 has a recoloured version of #18. These are probably the only way I'll own some of these early covers.

Planet_3_UK.thumb.jpg.d85e985032747d8a8d82d3418cd7db8f.jpg

And here's how it originally looked (not mine).

0.jpg

2 hours ago, AJD said:

Hey, thanks so much guys. I'm glad you like what you find here. I was going to hold this off until tomorrow, but I got in a batch of Australian FH reprints today, so I'll still have something to share over the next couple of weeks.

For @porcupine48 and @Artboy99, here's the #3 in that UK Planet run. There were five of them in total, but I passed on #4 and #5 because they have covers I have on later US editions anyway. I probably shouldn't have - I wonder if they're still around. hm

Anyhoo, #3 has a recoloured version of #18. These are probably the only way I'll own some of these early covers.

Planet_3_UK.thumb.jpg.d85e985032747d8a8d82d3418cd7db8f.jpg

And here's how it originally looked (not mine).

0.jpg

Another cool book, thanks for sharing. And thanks for posting my actual 18! :)

Planet Comics 18 CGC 6.0 front.jpg

Wow, what a coincidence. I just Googled for an image and it was the best one. It's no surprise that a boardie owned it, but very serendipitous that it was yours!

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Another cool book, thanks for sharing. And thanks for posting my actual 18! :)

Today's offering is my first Nedor - and one with a war bonds 'tag' on the cover to boot. I found this at an enticingly low price. It has a completely split and detached spine, but the split is about as neat as you could wish, and it presents really well. The insides are excellent, and at least it's easy to scan for the UTC shot when you don't have to worry about the cover or popping a staple. :insane:

large.5ad5a0d134c16_BlackTerror2.jpg.10e7d5184a80c15153b6e3b7f2c14c29.jpg

5ad5a484ad335_BlackTerror2intsplash.thumb.jpg.41332e98f2f9adcbc05b2e6baa42c76e.jpg

2 hours ago, AJD said:

Today's offering is my first Nedor - and one with a war bonds 'tag' on the cover to boot. I found this at an enticingly low price. It has a completely split and detached spine, but the split is about as neat as you could wish, and it presents really well. The insides are excellent, and at least it's easy to scan for the UTC shot when you don't have to worry about the cover or popping a staple. :insane:

LIKE IT ^^

OK, I picked up a bunch of Australian Fiction House reprints recently, and I have some other new parcels incoming, so I better get around to posting some of the Oz books.

This one gives beaters a bad name, but it's the first Cowgirl Romances I've seen. There can't be a lot around, as the GCD only has issues 1 and 3 (listed under Cowgirl ) and AusReprints has 1, 3, 6 and 7. In fact, the #6 there is this one, before I straightened it up and spot pressed a few of the dog ears and pieces back into place (sort of). Down the track, when I've acquired the right skills, I'll do a full spine reinforcement and seal the tears, so the book can be handled safely.

large.5ad5a199cb12c_CowgirlRomances6.jpg.0366ea5d62cde71de85e59a2cc7fb744.jpg

Here's 91% of the back cover. The Australian books often half this 'two pages into one' approach because of the short page count (28 pages for this one).

5adc7c4c4d517_CowgirlRomances6back.thumb.jpg.40b5754a65dcf993a7e7752118ce6035.jpg

Oh boy, where to start with this one.

She's firing a gun! No wonder everyone's a bit nervous (including the calf that is about to get a great big "identifying mark" but seems more worried about what's off-cover).

They've all got a right to be concerned - look at the way she's handling that thing! She'll likely sprain a wrist and who knows where the slugs will go. Especially as she doesn't seem to be a-looking where the gun is-a-pointing. And purple cowgirl boots with that hat? I mean really.

Interesting book, as usual. Not a lot of romance books survived as comics here have always been a "boy" thing and collectors (me included) passed them up for something else of a non-romantic.

Also nice to see you have outed yourself as a paper mechanic. Caveat emptor :baiting:

57 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Oh boy, where to start with this one.

Amazingly, you missed a nit-pick. (Are you OK?)

I was sure you'd observe that the 'Z' on the branding iron was the wrong way around. It ought to be mirror reversed when seen from the bottom.

Thankfully the Cowgirl Romances was by far the lowest grade of the Australian books I picked up. Here's another, from the same 'Low' collection, but nicer.

large.5ad5a1e37c3c4_Fight14.jpg.8dacadc0ef3249483ec49fbfdc7bc1be.jpg

And the 'UTC' image is actually a back cover image. The Stamina school clothes ads on a few of these have a profile of significant historical figures on them. I thought it would be fun to include those here. @Duffman_Comics: I think you mentioned some Stamina cards of famous people - I'm guessing the subjects are the same? A bit of a tortured link between Socrates and the brand name here...

5adda268723e8_Fight14back.thumb.jpg.008e5c03a742c100285ad1e791990353.jpg

If I wanted to nit pick, I'd point out that calves ain't usually trussed up in that there manner - it's a single rope around three or four legs.

Just as well I am not that persnickety.

Edited by Duffman_Comics
Clarification

I suppose you would have to have some serious stamina to self-support those trousers all the time. Not sure what use Socrates would have for them though. He's more of a pipe and toga kinda guy. Did he invent them so he had somewhere to put his beer money?

Deepest apologies for the Aussie sterotypes. :tink:

On 22/04/2018 at 1:14 PM, AJD said:

Cowgirl Romances 

The Great Western Wedding Massacre of 52

That morning....

b.PNG.e702f7f2e50694ff9765d5d4fff5209c.PNG 

And just where do you think you're going ya little....

a.PNG.861e7781d3d788af6cc76e7ea6603488.PNG 

Lord no! She's got me!

e.PNG.94109502fa4ba6d90158c1a01b9fd9d6.PNG 

Guys, guys, come quickly! She's got Barry! Oh God no, he's tied up! Her hand, look in her hand! No - No!

d.PNG.e8eec0efb09ef880bf5dfa7bfb2b1f52.PNG 

Oh Christ! Oh sweet Jesus no, help me guys, HELP ME!

f.PNG.a8ef229aa5ff73b12632a30264208207.PNG 

The woman's gone mad! She's going to burn him! I can't look! Get help!

(off camera)

sizzle, sizzle AAAIIIIEEEEEE!!!

Later that evening...

c.PNG.4f119fdbd3f55e7174efec6f1917fec3.PNG 

"Here comes the bride PEEOWN! All dressed in white PEEOWWWN PEEOWWN!"

The End.

9 hours ago, AJD said:

Another day, another Aussie FH reprint. Great colours on this one.

I don't know why it took me so long to realise that I could set the scanner to 'black and white' for the inners of these comics. doh!

5adf2c200c286_Firehair9int.thumb.jpg.fd24ad5b333de874ccbde31558f9a7ab.jpg

Early Albert crossover?

Oh, wait, that's a crocodile pictured (I think).

Colours are great on the reprint covers though.

Kaänga had some excellent jungle covers (with the almost inevitable pentadactyl FH cats). Whitman work on this one.

5adfe55473fa6_Kaanga15.thumb.jpg.ef7c5eaa0107c97480b4d7e1d41c0586.jpg

This story is weird and reads oddly. The GCD explains why in the entry for Kaänga #9 (from whence both the cover and this story came). It says that it is "from Jungle Comics (Fiction House, 1940 series) #64 (April 1945) [Edited from 6 pages to 4. Heavily re-written with many touched up panels.]"

Indexer Notes

5adfe5673d8cf_Kaanga15int.thumb.jpg.8c00dbeee9d79cc1c2f07993ae1546e6.jpg