• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

We interrupt your daily Australian pence copy bulletin for this just in:

Planet_66.thumb.jpg.21b7e1720966e3e27362ef3ce0d63a5b.jpg

Here are some of the innards - a dragon that looks like it wandered out of a Chinese New year parade...

Planet_66_int.JPG.3f86e6c85f0b43aff49b61a831d9dd01.JPG

... and a couple of pages from the Flint Baker story. Our heroine gets some action with a blaster later in the story, but she's a clothes horse for a 'how does that stay up?' outfit in the first few pages!

Planet_66_int_2.JPG.16b09acd51c7f61d9ba3c6c3a056f4c5.JPG

Planet_66_int_3.JPG.d8f8647fc54fee3b5d3793dc4380f7cf.JPG

In the same box as the Planet was this little gem.

large.DD_atom_bomb.jpg.b8697c51a9e8decf7bd5f733f7260236.jpg

This comic is surprisingly thick - 32 pages, with 30 pages of story of a single row of panels each. Earlyish Barks (1946), complete with the long necked version of our hero. The story was reprinted in WDC&S #571 (1992), which I dug out for this UTC combo. Given that atom bombs had been used to destroy whole cities by then, and the industrial scale of the operation had been reported (though not in detail) there is a very peculiar idea of what an atom bomb might entail...

DD_atom_bomb_int_2.thumb.jpg.9d8bb170a22851ae18d2f9cb933658e4.jpg

DD_atom_bomb_int.thumb.jpg.d60dbbefeb9325d8d277dd9eaf4fc4a5.jpg

23 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

A is for Atom . It seems strange to trivialise it from our perspective but in 1946 atomic power was considered the answer to most of mankind's problems.

I have also contemplated buying some of the 'your friend the atom' type giveaways from time to time. The dawn of the atomic age was simultaneously dreadful and optimistic - an interesting period.

7 minutes ago, AJD said:

I have also contemplated buying some of the 'your friend the atom' type giveaways from time to time. The dawn of the atomic age was simultaneously dreadful and optimistic - an interesting period.

I have never purchased a give-away but have thought about getting a few Big Boy give aways, have you heard of them .⁉️ Or Big Boy restaurant.⁉️

22 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

I have never purchased a give-away but have thought about getting a few Big Boy give aways, have you heard of them .⁉️ Or Big Boy restaurant.⁉️

I've heard of them and eaten at a few.  They had the statue out front.

bob.jpg&f=1

16 hours ago, AJD said:

I sometimes pick up moderns with tribute covers to golden age things in my focus. This is one of those. @Brando- will be proud. :D

large.Action_1000.jpg.4f9edf9361243af63b899e60ca463e30.jpg

It's funny, I guess the soldiers are meant to be Nazis but they can’t show swastikas like on the real 1940s covers? It kinda looks like Supes is getting hit by friendly fire.

You raise an interesting point.

Germany has pretty strict rules about the display of the hakenkreuz (swastika) and I recall an Austrian boardie showing photos of an Austrian/German convention with US wartime GA comics clearly displayed with swastikas (one book was Captain America 1).

He said the "authorities" are a little lenient when it comes to historic context - but I can imagine that they are pretty vigilant regarding its display.

Just a guess, but I think the editorial decision not to display swastikas may have been a "political" one driven by sales and marketing.

5 hours ago, Point Five said:

It's funny, I guess the soldiers are meant to be Nazis but they can’t show swastikas like on the real 1940s covers? It kinda looks like Supes is getting hit by friendly fire.

Yeah, good point. The tank is fairly close to a Tiger IV, the 'potato masher' grenades and the helmets are sorta kinda right, but the uniforms don't look right to me - at the very least they are an odd mixture of winter and summer kit, but with American styling. And colouring them all olive drab tends to make them look less German and more American as well. It now makes sense that all those Schomburg covers had big swastikas and helpful little signs that say things like 'floating Nazi fortress'. lol

16 hours ago, AJD said:

Yeah, good point. The tank is fairly close to a Tiger IV, the 'potato masher' grenades and the helmets are sorta kinda right, but the uniforms don't look right to me - at the very least they are an odd mixture of winter and summer kit, but with American styling. And colouring them all olive drab tends to make them look less German and more American as well. It now makes sense that all those Schomburg covers had big swastikas and helpful little signs that say things like 'floating Nazi fortress'. lol

I have no knowledge of WWII uniforms, but that was my gut feeling as well. The styles here feel way off for 1940s Germany, and it takes me a second read to get there.

To Duffman's points, Nazi imagery even in the context of a tribute cover would be controversial in the US today, and I'm not at all surprised the artist didn't show actual swastikas. But it feels like 'some' signifiers are missing that these guys are the enemy. (Maybe generic black armbands on the soldiers would have helped a bit... I feel like I've seen that on covers somewhere before.)

Placing a WTB ad for Australian pence comics has turned out great. Nobody had one to sell me, but I got pointed towards a couple of sellers who did. This just in from Doug Sulipa.

large.Jumbo_44.jpg.73ca924fc4beb1058d4f07c8d70e0acf.jpg

Here's an UTC of a pretty gritty 'The Hawk' story. Also some nice GGA and creative use of the panel border here.

Jumbo_44_int.thumb.jpg.1656d537ff29235ac307f7d779aa49aa.jpg

Before I got this I thought I was chasing 38 Australian issues of Jumbo Comics. With this one, and Komic Kazi's postings, I now know there are 48, and two specials. I've revised my estimated completion date to 2053 now.

7 hours ago, AJD said:

Placing a WTB ad for Australian pence comics has turned out great. Nobody had one to sell me, but I got pointed towards a couple of sellers who did. This just in from Doug Sulipa.

Nice Jumbo Lion cover !!

i like the lighter blue cover , i have not seen that that hue before and it stands out...... !!