• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, cheetah said:

Comic Book Repatriation!!

Everyone should do it. I hereby volunteer to be the reception centre for all Australian comics returned to these shores.

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cor,  they look good AJD. Nothing better than a great comic day is there. We'll done on the score - looking forward to seeing more, and also finding out what the 10 year wait book is :banana:

Thanks M&I. You'll like the quest book - it's a UK pence copy. Tuppence, to be precise...

18 hours ago, Point Five said:

Awesome, Andrew. Make sure to post some of these in the Fiction House thread as well, as Fiction House collectors do not often see cover reds & whites that look like these. :applause:

Thanks Jon. Yes, the colours on these are great. The earlier issues of these titles had slick covers, as opposed to the newsprint ones that came later, and the colours really pop on them.

12 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Wonderful stuff, Andrew.:applause:

Have you been able to identify any covers that are locally drawn? My drive-by glance didn't pick any out, but close-up may be a different story.

Of the 30 books I think there are only three local covers. The local editors must have had plenty of US-sourced covers to work with in the early runs of these titles. (All of the Kaanga, Jungle and Jumbos here are in the #1-10 range.) Later as the needed new covers for the 24 unused pages from every US edition (these are 28 page books, compared to 52 pages originally) they started generating more.

The Kaanga special and the two below have covers adapted from one or more panels in the stories. The Kaanga #3 cover has a really interesting look about it with the heavy shading in places.

Kaanga_3_Australian.jpg.d13aa9628ff1f2346ece4a0cba3462ac.jpg

Jungle_9_Australian.jpg.85976abb3a9fdd534e6ef0217d6fb2b8.jpg

Here's the giant snake panel from Kaanga #3

Kaanga_3_Australian_int.thumb.jpg.cb14f68982edabc99427b62282a21f9a.jpg

And here's a completely gratuitous page with an 'interesting' view of a diving Sheena from Jungle #9:

Jungle_9_Australian_int.jpg.bf19c2d81d8ad36ce8d5e2a155df6753.jpg

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Everyone should do it. I hereby volunteer to be the reception centre for all Australian comics returned to these shores.

Thanks M&I. You'll like the quest book - it's a UK pence copy. Tuppence, to be precise...

Thanks Jon. Yes, the colours on these are great. The earlier issues of these titles had slick covers, as opposed to the newsprint ones that came later, and the colours really pop on them.

Of the 30 books I think there are only three local covers. The local editors must have had plenty of US-sourced covers to work with in the early runs of these titles. (All of the Kaanga, Jungle and Jumbos here are in the #1-10 range.) Later as the needed new covers for the 24 unused pages from every US edition (these are 28 page books, compared to 52 pages originally) they started generating more.

The Kaanga special and the two below have covers adapted from one or more panels in the stories. The Kaanga #3 cover has a really interesting look about it with the heavy shading in places.

Kaanga_3_Australian.jpg.d13aa9628ff1f2346ece4a0cba3462ac.jpg

Naturally, GCD is no help - though I  think this is the copy "on file". Ausreprints is similarly devoid of detail.

Gun to head, I'd nominate Paul "Panther" Wheelahan here, though I note with interest that there are a couple of tiny initials on the rock/tree/whatever lower right. S D?  Steve Ditko moonlighting in OZ? If only we could ask him.

22 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Naturally, GCD is no help - though I  think this is the copy "on file". Ausreprints is similarly devoid of detail.

Gun to head, I'd nominate Paul "Panther" Wheelahan here, though I note with interest that there are a couple of tiny initials on the rock/tree/whatever lower right. S D?  Steve Ditko moonlighting in OZ? If only we could ask him.

hm Good call I think. The heavy shading on the figure did look familiar.

Panther_44_front.thumb.jpg.5519514cf7a8f4126bef54458db46d34.jpg

11 minutes ago, EBE said:

So back on Tuesday you mentioned that you found a book on eBay that you'd been after for 10 years..... so what was it??? Did you finally nail a Fawcett Funny Animals 6??

--ElJay

I wish. That one continues to elude me.

It won't be in hand for a couple of weeks so I'm wary of jinxing myself, but it's a UK book from the end of WW2 that caught my eye in a book of world comics back in '08 and which is a great fit in my collection, sitting in the overlap between two themes. Sorry to be mysterious, but all will be revealed in time. Of course, it might be that I'm the only person on earth who cares so much about it. lol 

6 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

I ddn't realise your journal had been moved over here, AJD, so I'd missed the last couple of pages. That error has been rectified as I'm now following your Antipodean Annals. (worship)

Love those Planet Stories books, amazing covers & classic sci-fi stories.

Keep up Harry! You nearly missed these:  sheena.PNG.9721e0f2ff3ad610b949a2109fc569b4.PNG

3 hours ago, AJD said:

I wish. That one continues to elude me.

It won't be in hand for a couple of weeks so I'm wary of jinxing myself, but it's a UK book from the end of WW2 that caught my eye in a book of world comics back in '08 and which is a great fit in my collection, sitting in the overlap between two themes. Sorry to be mysterious, but all will be revealed in time. Of course, it might be that I'm the only person on earth who cares so much about it. lol 

Don't bet on it... 

I'll be away for a couple of weeks, and I'll get back to the Cheetah collection on return. Until then, here are a couple of Australian crime reprints to tide you over. For those keeping score, it's blondes 1 v criminals 1 for this round.

She seems nice...

695421384_CrimeBusters16.jpg.46d999e111b0f23d8bc722a4a3ee523d.jpg

And this lass is just tired and having a lie down...

75921962_CrimeCasebook14.jpg.2d1a71fc73c4e66cb077b595f0397fde.jpg

6 hours ago, AJD said:

I'll be away for a couple of weeks, and I'll get back to the Cheetah collection on return. Until then, here are a couple of Australian crime reprints to tide you over. For those keeping score, it's blondes 1 v criminals 1 for this round.

She seems nice...

695421384_CrimeBusters16.jpg.46d999e111b0f23d8bc722a4a3ee523d.jpg

And this lass is just tired and having a lie down...

75921962_CrimeCasebook14.jpg.2d1a71fc73c4e66cb077b595f0397fde.jpg

Enjoy your break AJD. We're counting the hours.

As for the two books, anyone who can shoot a guy and not lose their end is a worthy contender in my book. And I don't think she's sleeping on the second one. She's clearly  passed out from fart fumes. The masks give it away (thumbsu 

I had a few minutes before I head off, so let me post another Cheetah book with a locally drawn cover. It's based on the pretty neat splash page:

1510508896_Kaanga04Australianinterior.jpg.9ba0fd58f98692e91b58c706abd7bc39.jpg

But the local artist has managed to make the figures so stiff that it has turned it into 'Ken and Barbie' ride an elephant... (and is it just me, or does Kaanga's elbow/shoulder seem to be on back to front the way he's holding that tusk?)

1810254734_Kaanga04Australian.jpg.452976331dfe8aa66255f2435a5f7d35.jpg

2 minutes ago, AJD said:

I had a few minutes before I head off, so let me post another Cheetah book with a locally drawn cover. It's based on the pretty neat splash page:

1510508896_Kaanga04Australianinterior.jpg.9ba0fd58f98692e91b58c706abd7bc39.jpg

But the local artist has managed to make the figures so stiff that it has turned it into 'Ken and Barbie' ride an elephant... (and is it just me, or does Kaanga's elbow/shoulder seem to be on back to front the way he's holding that tusk?)

1810254734_Kaanga04Australian.jpg.452976331dfe8aa66255f2435a5f7d35.jpg

I like the way the redrawn cover bends his knee, and her arm, to get both limbs in shot. Cracking book :headbang:

42 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I like the way the redrawn cover bends his knee, and her arm, to get both limbs in shot. Cracking book :headbang:

Not to mention shifting and flipping a lions head.

I think the artist here, pressed for time and talent, has mistakenly interpreted the original illustration. In  the original, Kaanga's right hand is clearly grasping the tusk, with his fingers OVER the top and his thumb beneath.

Mr artist has not paid a lot of attention and thought his hand is grasping the tusk, fingers beneath, thumb on top, making the thing even more awkward.

1 hour ago, Duffman_Comics said:
2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not to mention shifting and flipping a lions head.

I think the artist here, pressed for time and talent, has mistakenly interpreted the original illustration. In  the original, Kaanga's right hand is clearly grasping the tusk, with his fingers OVER the top and his thumb beneath.

Mr artist has not paid a lot of attention and thought his hand is grasping the tusk, fingers beneath, thumb on top, making the thing even more awkward.

Yeah, right! 

If he's still alive, and out there reading this, Mister, your artwork sucks mate! 

957443596_drwhoidiot.gif.47589b30029e8ffade99124f5280c91d.gif

OK, now back in Oz, so time to catch up on the backlog a bit. But before I do, one more bit of comic-related Japaneseness. On a rainy day in Osaka my wife and I thought an English language movie might work. There are two sorts - ones dubbed into Japanese with English subtitles (fukikae) and ones in English with Japanese subtitles. If these hoardings are anything to go by, clearly the English subtitles will contain flawless translations... (I can't vouch for them - we ended up going to the amazing aquarium instead).

image.thumb.jpeg.497eb3fab7c0e1cb5ddcefe15581348b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2e70781e47c986c45b67c0119124be69.jpeg

But enough of that. This was in my mailbox when I got home.

1651942624_Rangers03Australian.jpg.3988a32e3b9723b3d75f1faf709c79c8.jpg

The 28 page comic contains stories from Rangers #27 (Firehair) and #47 (Glory Forbes and Jan of the Jungle), a one pager from Planet #55 and a four page locally produced Space Hawk story by Paul Wheelahan. I think this firms up @Duffman_Comics guess that Wheelahan was the local cover artist for the Kaanga I posted above.

1229684651_Rangers03Australianint.thumb.jpg.43665fc7881d66b369ef82e69b14a4f7.jpg

9 hours ago, AJD said:

OK, now back in Oz, so time to catch up on the backlog a bit. But before I do, one more bit of comic-related Japaneseness. On a rainy day in Osaka my wife and I thought an English language movie might work. There are two sorts - ones dubbed into Japanese with English subtitles (fukikae) and ones in English with Japanese subtitles. If these hoardings are anything to go by, clearly the English subtitles will contain flawless translations... (I can't vouch for them - we ended up going to the amazing aquarium instead).

image.thumb.jpeg.497eb3fab7c0e1cb5ddcefe15581348b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2e70781e47c986c45b67c0119124be69.jpeg

But enough of that. This was in my mailbox when I got home.

1651942624_Rangers03Australian.jpg.3988a32e3b9723b3d75f1faf709c79c8.jpg

The 28 page comic contains stories from Rangers #27 (Firehair) and #47 (Glory Forbes and Jan of the Jungle), a one pager from Planet #55 and a four page locally produced Space Hawk story by Paul Wheelahan. I think this firms up @Duffman_Comics guess that Wheelahan was the local cover artist for the Kaanga I posted above.

1229684651_Rangers03Australianint.thumb.jpg.43665fc7881d66b369ef82e69b14a4f7.jpg

First up, welcome back.

Secondly :acclaim: to me for the Wheelahan assessment. Not a guess though :baiting:

Thirdly, what a great little filler is this "Space Hawk" . A cursory look made me think "boy, that character lower left is really badly rendered". Then the narrative revealed it is not just a dwarf but a queer dwarf. Boom-tish and cue @Get Marwood & I Are Not Dead

Fourthly, still waiting on the UK mystery book?